STOPPER | The Boneyard

STOPPER

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Our collective defense has made great strides since the start of the season. All the players have improved, footwork, awareness, communication, all have increased their knowledge of what UCONN defense is suppose to look like. Now, the question is, going forward we will face our biggest defensive challenges as we progress through the NCAA tournament. Every team we encounter will possess at least one shooting superstar, a player that has the ability to carry a team to victory. What are we going to do about that? We don't have Gabby Williams, we don't have Kia Nurse, etc. Who is our stopper, do we have one? Who is going to step up and do the job? Is it Evina, Christyn, Nika, Aubrey? Is it a team effort? The last few games we have shut down the best players on our opponents rosters, except they are not the caliber of Howard, Evans, Clark, Davis, Dungee. Who do you think it is, and will we be able to shut down a player that can possibly derail our chance of a NC this year?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
IMO, the one true defensive stopper on this UConn team is Aubrey. Just yesterday I was watching Iowa’s Clark light up MD, hitting 9 x 3’s from the cheap seats and I was thinking that I would really like to see how Aubrey would do against her.

Much like Gabby, Aubrey can guard 1-5 and possesses exceptional athleticism. Unfortunately, while Aubrey is a key reserve, she is not a starter. So Geno would have to weigh starting Aubrey and giving up some offense vs bringing Aubrey off the bench if an opposing player heats up.

Reaction Score
Like oldude Aubrey is the choice if you have to pick one, and her versatility makes her an option against many players. But if you don't want to alter starters or rotation much, we have some pretty good options beyond that.

If we are having trouble with a banger type down low against Liv for example, Aaliyah is an option. Evina is very sound against mid sized players, Nika takes away the perimeter particularly against shooters, but can be beaten off the dribble against quick drivers. In that case Christyn might be better.

We have a stopper to use if desired, but against all but the top one on one type players, our existing rotation can usually suffice, with Aubrey there if we need her.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
In the 2018 semifinal, our defensive stoppers gave up 59 points to Jackie Young and Arike Ogunbowale and watched helplessly when Ogunbowale hit the buzzer beater.

In the 2017 semifinal, our defensive stoppers watched helplessly while 5'3" Morgan William hit a buzzer beater.

Point is, as great as Gabby Williams and Kia Nurse were defensively, defensive stoppers don`t always stop. (As I recall, they may have been dealing with injury issues in one or both of those games.)

You generally need to run different fresh bodies out there at the hot hand, face guard, stay out of foul trouble, and hope for the best. We have a bit more depth than those teams and that should help.

And sometimes, you need to prevent the opponents` other non-star players from going wild, or simply outshoot/outscore the opponent. For example, in UConn`s last big tournament victory, we didn`t stop Asia Durr of Louisville in the 2019 Regional Final, but won because we hit a bunch of huge shots in the fourth quarter. (One of the most exciting games ever.)

In any event, I am not concerned about the players you mention - other than perhaps Evans (Louisville) - if we face them. Howard (Kentucky), Clark (Iowa), Davis (Tennessee), Dungee (Arkansas) - none of those teams should pose a problem, notwithstanding Dungee`s tremendous game and Arkansas` upset win. Davis only had 11 against us the first time. McDonald of Arizona is another one in that category.

It seems like most of the teams besides UConn that can legitimately challenge for the title - SC, Stanford, Texas A&M, NC State - have pretty balanced scoring and we would need a solid team defensive effort, not focused on any one player.

Reaction Score
1614180606471.png

Reaction Score
In the 2018 semifinal, our defensive stoppers gave up 59 points to Jackie Young and Arike Ogunbowale and watched helplessly when Ogunbowale hit the buzzer beater.

In the 2017 semifinal, our defensive stoppers watched helplessly while 5'3" Morgan William hit a buzzer beater.

Point is, as great as Gabby Williams and Kia Nurse were defensively, defensive stoppers don`t always stop. (As I recall, they may have been dealing with injury issues in one or both of those games.)

You generally need to run different fresh bodies out there at the hot hand, face guard, stay out of foul trouble, and hope for the best. We have a bit more depth than those teams and that should help.

And sometimes, you need to prevent the opponents` other non-star players from going wild, or simply outshoot/outscore the opponent. For example, in UConn`s last big tournament victory, we didn`t stop Asia Durr of Louisville in the 2019 Regional Final, but won because we hit a bunch of huge shots in the fourth quarter. (One of the most exciting games ever.)

In any event, I am not concerned about the players you mention - other than perhaps Evans (Louisville) - if we face them. Howard (Kentucky), Clark (Iowa), Davis (Tennessee), Dungee (Arkansas) - none of those teams should pose a problem, notwithstanding Dungee`s tremendous game and Arkansas` upset win. Davis only had 11 against us the first time. McDonald of Arizona is another one in that category.

It seems like most of the teams besides UConn that can legitimately challenge for the title - SC, Stanford, Texas A&M, NC State - have pretty balanced scoring and we would need a solid team defensive effort, not focused on any one player.
Excellent analysis

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I generally agree with your comments, but I would point out that when Ogunbowle hit the game winning shot vs UConn in the national semifinals, ND had run a screen resulting in a switch where Pheesa ended up guarding Ogunbowle.

As good a defender as Pheesa was in the paint, out on the floor against a talented guard, it was a mismatch. Credit to MM and ND in forcing that switch that gave Ogunbowle the opportunity to win the game.

Also, in the MS St game, Gabby was actually guarding 6’7” Teara McCowan. She came off McCowan to get a hand up when William got an open look from 20’.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This UCONN team does not have a defensive "stopper" and Geno has said as much. What this team has are some very good individual players that are capable of playing individually inspired defense in stretches. So far this year ONO, AE, CW, NM, EV and PB have all played inspired defense. That's 6 players on a roster of 12 that is capable any given night of winning an individual defensive matchup. The real bonus those 6 players encompass all 5 positions on the court.
The down side should be obvious and probably starts with the idea that ALL 6 players although very capable "have" to be inspired to play defense. As a group the UCONN perimeter defenders struggle with the basics of staying in front of the ball handlers and UCONN lacks a dominant rebounder. Against elite scorers or balanced scoring team I agree with @Huskee11. ... it is going to have to be a UCONN TEAM defensive effort that gets it done not the reliance on any individual stopper.

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I generally agree with your comments, but I would point out that when Ogunbowle hit the game winning shot vs UConn in the national semifinals, ND had run a screen resulting in a switch where Pheesa ended up guarding Ogunbowle.

As good a defender as Pheesa was in the paint, out on the floor against a talented guard, it was a mismatch. Credit to MM and ND in forcing that switch that gave Ogunbowle the opportunity to win the game.

Also, in the MS St game, Gabby was actually guarding 6’7” Teara McCowan. She came off McCowan to get a hand up when William got an open look from 20’.
That is historically correct, and shows that having a single defensive stopper is not really a solution, since a good offense can always force switches and help defense to get the stopper away from their scorer. Defense has to be a full team thing. Against Correa in the second St. Johns game, no single defender had full responsibility for her defense, but the collective effort worked.

Geno has said that really talented offensive players can't be successfully defended by any defense over a full game, which is why a championship team has to have an efficient offense at the other end to overcome the damage that they will inevitably do. That approach would have worked against Arkansas simply if UConn's free throws had been cashed in.

Reaction Score
Just want to put MoJeff’s name in the thread if we want to discuss great defensive stoppers. She could face guard someone out of the game and was just about impossible to shake one on one. Those teams almost never played close games, though, so her defensive work sometimes got overlooked (although she was DPOY so it didn’t get overlooked too much).

This team can mix its looks. You‘d like to not have Paige and Christyn spending too much energy on D chasing high scorers around. So Nika, Evina and Aubrey, with some switching. I said in the Mir thread that‘s probably her best chance for minutes if she shows she can lock someone down for a few possessions - but she has tended to foul when isolated on scorers, mostly by playing too hard.

Reaction Score

Also to my recollection KLS guarded Young in that national semifinal where she scorched us!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One other element relates to team defense. Since the AR game, UConn has been far more agressive in hedging on ball screens. Hedging on screens is essentially an aggressive switch that can potentially put the ball handler in a vice. It creates both the potential for turnovers, but can also leave someone unguarded.

In order to hedge effectively, the entire defense needs to do their part. It starts with a UConn guard picking up the ball farther from the basket, forcing the ball screens to be set farther out as well. When the hedge defender jumps the ball screen, a 3rd defender needs to drop into the lane to guard against the screener rolling to the basket. The other two defenders need to slide towards the hedge, putting pressure on the passing lanes. If the ball ends up finding an open shooter, typically at the arc, the closest defender needs to close hard on the shooter with a hand in their face.

Every game for the past few weeks, UConn has gotten better and better at hedging on ball screens. Looking ahead, it will be interesting to see just how UConn plans to defend the top scorers the Huskies will inevitably face in the Big Dance.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
At the press availability, Geno noted the improvement in the defense
and noted that he had simplified it so that it could be more easily comprehended by his young players.

Regardless of the simplicity or sophistication, there is no doubt that D has improved and that rather than one or 2 superstar defenders noted above, it has become a team effort...with Christyn, now part of that mix, assigned difficult offensive threats that she quietly carries out to the boss' satisfaction; E and Nika have always been decent defenders, and both Aaliyah and Nika have cut down on their fouling and as a result have become more effective. Olivia also gotten a B+ in do-not-foul 101 class.

So there may not be a supercalifragilistic, singular, star defender, but as a group they're much improved.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In that ND game, Geno made the decision to give Jackie Young the outside shot, and the problem was she made most of them and UConn failed to adjust.
To their credit ND and Muffet also made another brilliant move before that game which appears to have caught UCONN off guard. Earlier in the season when the teams play Thompson was the ND PG and quite effective. After Thompson got injured the PG duties were relegated to Mabrey and she struggled against good teams. I'm not sure at which point ND made the switch but for the rematch Jackie Young initiated the offense. UCONN stuck with the traditional matchup which left KLS matched up with Jackie Young. Young was comfortable all game and proved to be fatal for UCONN. The DPOY (Kia Nurse) should have been switched over on to Young at least to give her a different look as was done earlier in the season when Mabrey was on fire for a half and had to be cooled down.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

All correct. In addition to fresh bodies you need to switch up your defenses against this hot player. Face guard them, try a box and one, play them tighter on the perimeter forcing them to drive, force them to constantly go to their weaker hand, bring weak or strong side help. Anything to get the ball out of their hands.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
If we do, let’s hope the refs call fouls on the forearm shiver.
I have been waiting for someone to call what she did a forearm shiver, and she did it twice. The second time she was not only lucky she didn't get called for it, and lucky she didn't get T-ed up for a flagrant foul. I generally watch 4-5 WCBB games a week, so far her best forearm shiver is the hardest hit I have seen this season. I know given the chance every one of my former football coaches would still be talking about it. Also it would be looped and shown over and over again as an example of great form and technique.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
This UCONN team does not have a defensive "stopper" and Geno has said as much. What this team has are some very good individual players that are capable of playing individually inspired defense in stretches. So far this year ONO, AE, CW, NM, EV and PB have all played inspired defense. That's 6 players on a roster of 12 that is capable any given night of winning an individual defensive matchup. The real bonus those 6 players encompass all 5 positions on the court.
The down side should be obvious and probably starts with the idea that ALL 6 players although very capable "have" to be inspired to play defense. As a group the UCONN perimeter defenders struggle with the basics of staying in front of the ball handlers and UCONN lacks a dominant rebounder. Against elite scorers or balanced scoring team I agree with @Huskee11. ... it is going to have to be a UCONN TEAM defensive effort that gets it done not the reliance on any individual stopper.
UCONN perimeter defenders struggle with the basics of staying in front of the ball handlers

When I played basketball--yes, they really did use a peach basket back then--we were taught to guard by focusing on the player's waist. The theory was that the player could fake with the ball or with their head but they had to go wherever their waist went. Alas, it seems the technique of waist guarding has wound up in the waste basket.

Reaction Score

UConn was lite up by quick, great shooting guards early in the year. Replay these early games before you tell me not to be concerned with some of the top offensive players we are likely to face in playoffs. Agree with OldHuskie's post that while we have talent, no one on the current rooster is a perfect stopper. Watch a game that M. Jefferson played if you want to see the affect a great defensive guard can have. As an fyi, Nurse could barely play due to injury-not a great comparison.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
At the press availability, Geno noted the improvement in the defense
and noted that he had simplified it so that it could be more easily comprehended by his young players.

Regardless of the simplicity or sophistication, there is no doubt that D has improved and that rather than one or 2 superstar defenders noted above, it has become a team effort...with Christyn, now part of that mix, assigned difficult offensive threats that she quietly carries out to the boss' satisfaction; E and Nika have always been decent defenders, and both Aaliyah and Nika have cut down on their fouling and as a result have become more effective. Olivia also gotten a B+ in do-not-foul 101 class.

So there may not be a supercalifragilistic, singular, star defender, but as a group they're much improved.
I would be more cautious against characterizing the defense as improved in any meaningful way in the post SC games UCONN has played. None of these teams are expected to make the NCAA tournament field.
This was the second time this season that UCONN has played each of the 4 teams (Seton Hall, Georgetown, St Johns, & Xavier). The second time around you have your own game film and an opportunity to make adjustments. All of these teams basically have a single offensive threat, that's not going to be the case once UCONN. You may also not agree but I think there was a point in each of these last 4 games where these teams figured we aren't going to beat UCONN and might have given up.
Your point about ONO not fouling is a solid one but so is this: None of these teams have a starter taller than 6'1". Improved defensively? Absolutely. Improved in a meaningful way I'm not so sure? Maybe-I'm defining meaningful to be something that they can use in the tournament.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UCONN perimeter defenders struggle with the basics of staying in front of the ball handlers

When I played basketball--yes, they really did use a peach basket back then--we were taught to guard by focusing on the player's waist. The theory was that the player could fake with the ball or with their head but they had to go wherever their waist went. Alas, it seems the technique of waist guarding has wound up in the waste basket.
Not entirely. The peach basket has evolved into a milk crate which was much easier to acquire in my neighbor hood. The teaching hasn't evolved much though-I was always taught to focus on the defender hips and belly button. AKA known as the Shakira methods because- Hips don't lie.
1614188205542.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom