Stop Worrying about who we dont get | The Boneyard

Stop Worrying about who we dont get

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Look at who is on UConns roster and who has verballed and committed and who we have a really good feeling about coming to UConn for example Azzi Fudd. Is there really room for some of these other players. There's a reason why UConn is not showing interest in some of them. Maybe its because Geno knows who's serious about playing for him and we dont know who those players might be. Can somebody please put a year by year with rostered players and who's coming and who's in the wings like Gabriel and Fudd and Saylor and Paige. With ONO having 3 more years I think we are in better then good shape. We have top players who will be developed. Its not only that you get top players it you need to develop them and make them better in a team unit. If theyre only good by themselves and the team is too dependent on that one or two players it makes it tuff for a team to run their stuff. We have a coach in Geno that is so far ahead of every other coach in WCBB that it isnt funny. We have a reputation of being the best and we have the records to prove it. So why worry where everybody else goes. We have our team and nobody is going to outcoach Geno and no team plays team ball like UConn. Im excited where UConn is today and who has committed and verbaled and who is waiting in the wings. You cant control everybody else or every other team you can only control UConn and Geno does a great job of it. Sit back and relax and watch Geno do his magic.

Reaction Score
Look at who is on UConns roster and who has verballed and committed and who we have a really good feeling about coming to UConn for example Azzi Fudd. Is there really room for some of these other players. There's a reason why UConn is not showing interest in some of them. Maybe its because Geno knows who's serious about playing for him and we dont know who those players might be. Can somebody please put a year by year with rostered players and who's coming and who's in the wings like Gabriel and Fudd and Saylor and Paige. With ONO having 3 more years I think we are in better then good shape. We have top players who will be developed. Its not only that you get top players it you need to develop them and make them better in a team unit. If theyre only good by themselves and the team is too dependent on that one or two players it makes it tuff for a team to run their stuff. We have a coach in Geno that is so far ahead of every other coach in WCBB that it isnt funny. We have a reputation of being the best and we have the records to prove it. So why worry where everybody else goes. We have our team and nobody is going to outcoach Geno and no team plays team ball like UConn. Im excited where UConn is today and who has committed and verbaled and who is waiting in the wings. You cant control everybody else or every other team you can only control UConn and Geno does a great job of it. Sit back and relax and watch Geno do his magic.
I agree with everything you say with one caveat. If Ono gets in foul trouble which, she was prone to do last year, or worse yet gets injured, we have a problem.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Edwards (2020) would be a bonus, but 2020 is probably done and it is an excellent recruiting year. We have a good shot at Fudd and Deberry for 2021, plus Poffenbarger has already committed verbally.

The roster for 2021-2022 could look like this, hopefully:

Seniors: Williams, ONO
Juniors: Griffin, Makurat
Sophs: Bueckers, Muhl, Gabriel, McLean
Frosh: Fudd, Deberry, Poffenbarger

There may be a slight chance Westbrook is also on that roster if the NCAA turns down her eligibility request and she elects to stay. I doubt it, though. (2020-2021 should include Walker, Westbrook, and the three oldest classes above.)

Of course, only two of those players listed for 2021-2022 have played a minute for UConn. However, based upon what we have seen and heard, 2021-2022 will be a very talented roster and a fun team to watch. Plenty of size, speed, passing ability, shooting ability. Depth.

I think the key is to focus the recruiting efforts on Fudd and Deberry.

And maybe Geno will find another gem overseas for good measure. With Fudd and Deberry, though, we would already have eleven.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We have ONO and she is big and much improved. She has a huge high side. If she gets in foul trouble or injured UConn will have to play without her just like if any top player(s) on any other team get hurt or in foul trouble those teams will have to play without them. I dont worry about foul trouble or injuries. Foul trouble Geno can teach to avoid, injuries there is nothing you can do about them.

Reaction Score
1570486818844.png

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
The first National championship was in 1995. In the last 23 years, the longest drought without a NC has been 4 years. If the team fails this year, it will equal that span of 4 years.
Based on the accomplishments of those great teams, yes, I am worried.

Reaction Score
The first National championship was in 1995. In the last 23 years, the longest drought without a NC has been 4 years. If the team fails this year, it will equal that span of 4 years.

So if history repeats and UConn loses the 4th time then I guess we can expect them to win 4 of the next 5?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
So if history repeats and UConn loses the 4th time then I guess we can expect them to win 4 of the next 5?
Only, IF, history repeats!

Reaction Score

I prefer to look at it this way, from 1995 to 2019 (24 years but 25 occurrences) UConn has won 11 National Championships...that's an average of 1 NC every 2.27 years. Even "if the team fails this year", the average would become 1 NC every 2.36 years.

As a comparison, the next school with multiple NC's, in the same 25 occurrences is Tenn with 5. 1 NC every 5 years.
Baylor with 3 NC. 1 NC every 8.33 years
ND with 2 NC. 1 NC every 12.5 years

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Count this very spoiled UCONN fan as among the worried. I'm specifically worried about size, quality and depth at the post position and have been for 3 straight years now. Adequate size would be 6'2" or above. Adequate quality would be Kiah Stokes level who was never a regular starter at UCONN but a solid contributor. Kiah Stokes can also be used as an adequate measure of depth. On the 2013 Championship team Stokes was the 4th best post player behind Dolson, Stewie & Tuck. In her las two campaigns Stokes was 3rd best post player on the roster. UCONN has had AA caliber play in the post over the last 3 seasons with Gabby and Napheesa=great quality although both lacked adequate size. ONO shows great potential but would have to improve significantly to match the ways that Stokes impacted games and contributed to championships.

Reaction Score
We have ONO and she is big and much improved. She has a huge high side. If she gets in foul trouble or injured UConn will have to play without her just like if any top player(s) on any other team get hurt or in foul trouble those teams will have to play without them. I dont worry about foul trouble or injuries. Foul trouble Geno can teach to avoid, injuries there is nothing you can do about them.
The only thing I will say about foul trouble is sometimes it’s all about the refs. Even though the Huskies play the majority of their toughest games at home, you can’t always predict how a game will be called (look at any UCF or Missouri game). I would say it’s better to have a contingency plan IN CASE something goes wrong rather than assuming it won’t/can’t go wrong.

Reaction Score
Count this very spoiled UCONN fan as among the worried. I'm specifically worried about size, quality and depth at the post position and have been for 3 straight years now. Adequate size would be 6'2" or above. Adequate quality would be Kiah Stokes level who was never a regular starter at UCONN but a solid contributor. Kiah Stokes can also be used as an adequate measure of depth. On the 2013 Championship team Stokes was the 4th best post player behind Dolson, Stewie & Tuck. In her las two campaigns Stokes was 3rd best post player on the roster. UCONN has had AA caliber play in the post over the last 3 seasons with Gabby and Napheesa=great quality although both lacked adequate size. ONO shows great potential but would have to improve significantly to match the ways that Stokes impacted games and contributed to championships.

It seems like you only want a team that can't lose. You want 3 pro-prospect posts? Or was that 4? I assume you think we need Fudd to play next to Bueckers? How about 3 wings who can all hit 3's with one eye closed and take quarters off the top of the backboard?

I exaggerate for effect. Go back to Stewart's freshman year, when they had Dolson, Stewart Tuck and Stokes. All go on to WNBA careers. Maybe the best group of 4 posts on any team ever. And they also had 6'3" Heather Buck. Enough size for a title? You bettcha. But they lost 4 games that year, three to the Irish and to Baylor. I'll wager that you were screaming after each of those games that Geno needed to get more guards, get faster.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You want 3 pro-prospect posts? Or was that 4?
4 if I can get them but more than 1 (ONO) would be ideal
How about 3 wings who can all hit 3's with one eye closed and take quarters off the top of the backboard?
I exaggerate for effect.
Let me know what effect are you trying to achieve and I'll try to help you?
Go back to Stewart's freshman year, when they had Dolson, Stewart Tuck and Stokes. All go on to WNBA careers. Maybe the best group of 4 posts on any team ever. And they also had 6'3" Heather Buck. Enough size for a title? You bettcha. But they lost 4 games that year, three to the Irish and to Baylor. I'll wager that you were screaming after each of those games that Geno needed to get more guards, get faster.
Heather buck would get plenty of minutes on this current UCONN team and no that would not be enough to win a title.
But they lost 4 games that year, three to the Irish and to Baylor. I'll wager that you were screaming after each of those games that Geno needed to get more guards, get faster.
You would have lost the wager, because I never yell at Geno. The Griner loss was because Baylor was better and Stewie had not grown up yet. Each of the ND loss were close games and I was too busy yelling at the refs about how many times they were putting ND on the line. I did yell at KML for not guarding KMac in one of those games though. BTW when compared to 2013 team, guard depth is also an issue not nearly as acute a problem as the current lack of post depth. Let's save that for a separate discussion.

Reaction Score
Look at who is on UConns roster and who has verballed and committed and who we have a really good feeling about coming to UConn for example Azzi Fudd. Is there really room for some of these other players. There's a reason why UConn is not showing interest in some of them. Maybe its because Geno knows who's serious about playing for him and we dont know who those players might be. Can somebody please put a year by year with rostered players and who's coming and who's in the wings like Gabriel and Fudd and Saylor and Paige. With ONO having 3 more years I think we are in better then good shape. We have top players who will be developed. Its not only that you get top players it you need to develop them and make them better in a team unit. If theyre only good by themselves and the team is too dependent on that one or two players it makes it tuff for a team to run their stuff. We have a coach in Geno that is so far ahead of every other coach in WCBB that it isnt funny. We have a reputation of being the best and we have the records to prove it. So why worry where everybody else goes. We have our team and nobody is going to outcoach Geno and no team plays team ball like UConn. Im excited where UConn is today and who has committed and verbaledand who is waiting in the wings. You cant control everybody else or every other team you can only control UConn and Geno does a great job of it. Sit back and relax and watch Geno do his magic.
Good Rah Rah Rah piece and true. We have no control or sway on those that choose else where so why worry or wish for more. Uconn has good talent coming in and on this team.
Yet, those that believe other bigs don't come because of ONO either are having issues or those that won't come because of her don't know reality. ONO is only one effective big on UConn another 2 would be great as twin towers or back ups. Injuries, perish the thought, are realities especially among big thin kids. Too much PT (per the UConn Ortho) leads to injuries and ONO and CW are getting full time PT this last season, this summer, and now again another season where they will have full time commitments. worry worry worry.

Reaction Score

Heather buck would get plenty of minutes on this current UCONN team and no that would not be enough to win a title.

You would have lost the wager, because I never yell at Geno. The Griner loss was because Baylor was better and Stewie had not grown up yet. Each of the ND loss were close games and I was too busy yelling at the refs about how many times they were putting ND on the line. I did yell at KML for not guarding KMac in one of those games though. BTW when compared to 2013 team, guard depth is also an issue not nearly as acute a problem as the current lack of post depth. Let's save that for a separate discussion.
REALLY ?? You accepted Uconn lost 3 times to ND?? What happened to CW's 28 point pasting of ND?
Buck was a good kid and nice nurse but not a force, except against Griner ONCE, for her career. You are right 3 Bucks would not help this team---BUT BUT---Uconn will do well without any more players coming aboard this year. ONO, if she stays healthy is a force in the center. CW, Megan, Maybe Ania, hopefully Westbrook etc will only lose 3 games this year because then Uconn will be in the same position as last year with 2 games at the end to win. FF is a probability the NC a possibility..
IT DOES NO GOOD TO YELL AT GENO, I'VE DON'E IT FOR YEARS ---

Reaction Score

No, she wouldn't!

Reaction Score
JUST TRUST GENO & CHRIS.......

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You know I look at UConns roster and who's committed and who's verballed and Im thinking do we really have any room for another top 10 player and if we do is she willing to share time or sit? I dont think so unless shes an incoming freshman and the player in front of her is a junior or senior. Do we need another big? It would be great if we had another coming in next season but we cant do anything about this season. We have a 6'5 post player who will intimadate and block shots. Will she get in foul trouble? Most likely she will at times but not every game. Geno will coach her to intimadate and stay out of foul trouble. I really believe ONO will be a really really good player and this season will grow and develop into that player. Remember Tina Charles and how she went through her growing pains in WCBB. Well most kids do especially bigs. ONO will be fine. Our 5th starter will be fine and our 6th and 7th players will be fine. Sometimes I wonder if UConn will be better off with Westbrook playing next season vs this season and that depends on Adebayo Makurat and Griffin and how those 3 contribute. With that said Westbrook will be special when she is eligible.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You know I look at UConns roster and who's committed and who's verballed and Im thinking do we really have any room for another top 10 player and if we do is she willing to share time or sit? I dont think so unless shes an incoming freshman and the player in front of her is a junior or senior. Do we need another big? It would be great if we had another coming in next season but we cant do anything about this season. We have a 6'5 post player who will intimadate and block shots. Will she get in foul trouble? Most likely she will at times but not every game. Geno will coach her to intimadate and stay out of foul trouble. I really believe ONO will be a really really good player and this season will grow and develop into that player. Remember Tina Charles and how she went through her growing pains in WCBB. Well most kids do especially bigs. ONO will be fine. Our 5th starter will be fine and our 6th and 7th players will be fine. Sometimes I wonder if UConn will be better off with Westbrook playing next season vs this season and that depends on Adebayo Makurat and Griffin and how those 3 contribute. With that said Westbrook will be special when she is eligible.

Just a "gut feeling" Tony (and nothing else), but I think Ania Makurat will emerge as the 5th starter. We'll know in 22 days.

Reaction Score
It seems that UCONN gets the players that they should get. And, some that they should not get transfer, never to be heard of again. Geno took Stephine D.(not a top recruit) and turned her into the best center for her last two years in collage. I don't worry about who UCONN gets.

Reaction Score
Just a "gut feeling" Tony (and nothing else), but I think Ania Makurat will emerge as the 5th starter. We'll know in 22 days.

If Westbrook is NOT eligible, possibly. If Westbrook IS eligible, not a chance!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If Westbrook is NOT eligible, possibly. If Westbrook IS eligible, not a chance!

Ok, we’ll see. As I look at the team right now, Westbrook is not eligible. That’s what I’m using in any and all possible player combinations unless her waiver petition is granted. Then of course everything changes. Yes, If she’s eligible I absolutely agree she starts.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom