Stop the momentum | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stop the momentum

Reaction Score
Geno is several years short of 70, and I honestly don’t think that matters. Parity does matter, but there’s not another coach in the country who’s gotten their team to more than 2 FF’s in the past 4 championships, let alone all 4. I think Geno’s still got a few years chasing banners before we put him out to pasture.
I know Covid cancelled the 2020 season, but if people are truly honest. South Carolina would at least have been in the final, I think they win it over Oregon, but the Uconn team would not have made the final 4, maybe the elite 8.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I know Covid cancelled the 2020 season, but if people are truly honest. South Carolina would at least have been in the final, I think they win it over Oregon, but the Uconn team would not have made the final 4, maybe the elite 8.
I agree that SC certainly looked like a FF team that season, although I wouldn’t necessarily go as far as Dawn did and hang up a banner. I would also note that in 2020 UConn was playing their best basketball when the season ended prematurely. I would certainly not count them out of the picture for yet another FF spot that season.

But if we’re going to add additional seasons, how about adding 2016, which extends my original comparison to no other team having made more than 2 FF’s during the last five championships let alone 5?

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I had to check on the 2020 season to verify the information, but here’s something to ponder. When the Big Dance was canceled that year, SC, Oregon & Baylor, the 3 teams UConn had lost to were ranked #1, 2 & 3 respectively. The Selection committee undoubtedly would have made them #1 seeds in the Greenville, Portland & Dallas Regions respectively.

At #4 was a four loss Maryland team. At #5 was UConn with a 29-3 record. In all likelihood MD & UConn would have been the #1 and #2 seeds in the Ft Wayne Region. MD’s 4 losses were to SC, 12th ranked NC St, unranked Northwestern & unranked Iowa.

Do you really believe that UConn would not have made the FF in 2020 if the tournament had not been cancelled? Keep in mind that Brenda has never beaten Geno head to head.

Reaction Score
I think this year if healthy we will surprise a lot of people. Time will tell if that will be the case. This difficult time will also build character in this team. Does it have the will to win. I think so. Go Huskies!!!!

Reaction Score
UConn is on an uninterrupted string of the best consecutive recruiting classes in its history, with great, still to be added to, classes coming in in the next couple of years.

Even with the substantial senior losses the team will be better next year than this year, and better the year after that.

The UConn program is getting stronger not weaker. Many of the "Alpha" players that are graduating and will be graduating from H.S. have grown up dreaming about wearing a UConn uniform.

Concerning this year, against South Carolina, we did have Paige, but Muhl played 3 minutes, Fudd played a mediocre 10 minutes, Dorka played more but is playing much better now and Caroline did not play at all.

This team, even without Paige has a shot at a championship.

The next game against SC, assuming that Fudd will play, will be an interesting benchmark as to how UConn has reorganized itself as a non-Paige team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom