Stop feeling sorry for yourself,Geno | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stop feeling sorry for yourself,Geno

Reaction Score
Pat was great at getting kids to play hard but was not a great x and o kind of coach...at least not nearly at GA's level.
That’s the problem though- I think Geno’s biggest problem is that he is not a good X’s and O’s coach. Superior players can hide lots of team flaws. The play GT ran successfully over & over again, the pick at the top of the key, was devastating to UConn. We had no answer, and what similar play does Geno ever run?

Reaction Score
The recent AP poll had GEORGIA TECH at # 30, AND
it had UCLA next at # 31. This could be interesting
for UCONN family. GO UCONN! Looking forward to
UCONN being back to a deeper bench/rotation and , later, full strength!

Reaction Score
interesting observation Conndog. I have been mulling this over for a couple of years. it seems that GA is stubborn with his offense. But he needs very high quality players for it to work. I can predict the first 3-4-5 passes of most every possession. Now you can say that about other teams as well, but Uconn does seem to be a bit stale or predictable on offense. I'd like to see more isolation/post ups for PB and for AE. Post ups and clear outs for AG as well.

GA brought a lot of innovation to the game many years ago but seems to have stagnated over the years.

By the way, despite all my criticism, I still think he is a quality coach, just not head and shoulders over the rest of the coaches out there. Will see how he does this year. I want to see if he can win with less.
That’s the problem though- I think Geno’s biggest problem is that he is not a good X’s and O’s coach. Superior players can hide lots of team flaws. The play GT ran successfully over & over again, the pick at the top of the key, was devastating to UConn. We had no answer, and what similar play does Geno ever r

Reaction Score
OK, I have to admit you are correct with what you post above. Your quote about "allowing a sport's team to invade one's emotional well being" rings very true with me, and probably most of the Boneyard, which is a big reason why we are so passionate.
Given all that you said, and the fact that I had a miserable time sleeping last night (invading my emotional well being), allowed me to rehash the game and look for "reasons" for the poor play and subsequent loss. All mentioned comments in the post game thread hold some validity, but here is one that "invaded my misguided psyche";
For those old enough to remember the old Tarzan movies (Johnny Weissmuller, Buster Crabb, era), I believe the concept of "Bad Ju-Ju" has invaded the team. While contemplating this further around 4:30a.m. , I surmised this Bad Ju-Ju might have been carried back to Storrs from Hartford via an unsuspecting Morgan. This is a prime example of how my emotional well being has been invaded. I know it's absurd, but maybe, just maybe...
I’ll tell you this. Years ago I lived and died with my sports teams. When they lost I cried, couldn’t sleep and the men losing to Duke in the Elite 8 that year long ago ruined my entire weekend. I used to turn the sound off for road games because I couldn’t take the women being taunted by opposing fans. You get the picture.

But the last few years of my life changed all that. I am doing a TMI so I apologize in advance. I was mired in a deep depression, and an eating disorder. For about 4 years I had no interest in watching basketball (women or men) and I hardly did. When I did I wasn’t engaged so I stopped. I survived an attempt to end my life. And now, gradually I’m getting better. I’ve started watching games again. And I realize that above all they are just that - games. In the grand scheme of life (mine anyway) they should provide enjoyment. I simply turned the game off last night and did other things. I love watching but damn, there’s so much more to life than analyzing a game trying some damn hard to figure out either wrong or could be better.

Enjoy games for as long as you can.

Reaction Score
Talking to some die hard fans the one thing they tell me is they don't see the same fire and hunger in Geno and I must say I do agree. I miss him wearing his suits in the sideline, I remember when he would definitely get very vocal not saying he still doesn't but it doesn't feel the same. Now when they cut the camera usually has his arms crossed or waving them in disbelief. Also this idea that "23 years of his coaching all of a sudden has stopped working." Reminds me of a great line from the movie Moneyball where the scout tells Billy Beane how they analyze players for 30+ years now has changed into using a computer with the famous response "adapt or die."

Reaction Score
It’s truly unbelievable to me how many posters seem to secretly despise Geno? Some of these posters find fault with everything he does and never seem to acknowledge any of the good things.

Now clearly the team is facing some problems right now.
Some are due to a spate of injuries while others may be due to a variety of reasons such as Geno himself, Shea’s absence, complacency, recruiting issues, players change of attitude over the past 12-15 years, and simply lack of toughness/desire. It’s certainly possible he may have to change some things and that some may be his fault. Certainly, the buck stops at his desk! However, let’s not forget that he has led this team to thirteen consecutive final fours!

I would say that gives him a bit of a pass for losing one game (no matter how horribly they played) while four top players are injured, one of which is clearly one of the best players in UConn history, the acknowledged linchpin of this team, one, her main backup, one, a no. 1 recruit that many have said is better than Paige, and finally, the most athletic player on the team who may be the best defender as well!

How about we give him some time to come to grips with the situation and hopefully find a way to get this team back on track before burying him with constant criticism? All the “Negative Nellies” can obviously say what they wish. I’ll give him what he has unquestionably earned, my full confidence that he will find a way to fix this! I’m not against fair criticism but find some of what I’m reading to be mean spirited and almost gloating.

Furthermore, if somehow he were to prove unable to fix it, I would still be grateful and respectful to a man who (with CD) has given us three decades at the top of the mountain without scandal, major controversy, and always with honesty and class!

Reaction Score
I would have preferred him saying that the loss of Paige is even greater than he thought it would be. And that it is just going to take the coaches and players that much longer to adjust to the loss. A generational player is lost, and you're going to make things ok in a couple of days, Geno? And I think many here thought the same way.It really angers me to hear him sounding like he's throwing in the towel on these kids, when he should really face he reality of the situation, and make sure his players get it, also. Figure it out, Geno and CD and Jamelle and Morgan. These young women will be counting on you to do that. And everyone be patient!
I’m new here, been a fan for 30 years, the only thing wrong with this team is the players are way too tight ( Geno’s fault) and it’s the no fun team!!! Loosen up, relax, have fun, the natural ability will shine, the offense begins to flow and the wins will follow!!

Reaction Score
I’ll tell you this. Years ago I lived and died with my sports teams. When they lost I cried, couldn’t sleep and the men losing to Duke in the Elite 8 that year long ago ruined my entire weekend. I used to turn the sound off for road games because I couldn’t take the women being taunted by opposing fans. You get the picture.

But the last few years of my life changed all that. I am doing a TMI so I apologize in advance. I was mired in a deep depression, and an eating disorder. For about 4 years I had no interest in watching basketball (women or men) and I hardly did. When I did I wasn’t engaged so I stopped. I survived an attempt to end my life. And now, gradually I’m getting better. I’ve started watching games again. And I realize that above all they are just that - games. In the grand scheme of life (mine anyway) they should provide enjoyment. I simply turned the game off last night and did other things. I love watching but damn, there’s so much more to life than analyzing a game trying some damn hard to figure out either wrong or could be better.

Glad you are doing better, great advice - I will attempt to consider it to conquer my OCD, Obsessive Connecticut Disorder!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

I want to thank you for opening up like this. You provide such a helpful perspective.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
I agree. The world is different now for UConn, not the loss but the loss of Paige. Geno now must circle the team and DEMAND performance. Those that can't or won't perform up to their potential should watch until they do. Don't reject Amare or CD or any kid on the bench. Some standout players once sat that bench. Don't make instant judgments, those bad today may be very good tomorrow. Coach Coach. Shake out the cobwebs and dig into history--we've seen things like this before (maybe not this bad). Coaching like the game, it is fundamentally the same for 50 years. Only the approach to players changed. DEMAND and you'll get it. After this loss, you've got the players where you want them. They can't shrug off the things they should have done.

Lost me at demand

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
losing Shea Ralph is a big loss, don't care if people disagree. The communication she had with the guards was special, she is definitely missed.
I might have been inclined to agree with you, but you probably don't care about that either, so I don't!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I’m not sure if Geno is any better or worse as a coach than he was 5 years ago. We’ve still been to 13 straight Final Fours… and nobody else is close to that. What I am sure of is that there is way more parity in women’s basketball than there was 5 years ago. SC certainly is as, if not more, talented than we are. Good teams aren’t intimidated at playing us anymore. Maybe Geno does have a harder time communicating and motivating today’s players. He’s certainly said so himself. Yes, he’s an old school guy - ‘cause he’s getting old! My gosh, he coached Dawn at UVA. Is she more comfortable with today’s players, and they with her? I suspect so.

All that being said, I can’t think of a coach I’d rather have coaching UConn than Geno - god or not.
How could Geno have coached Dawn at UVA? He was already at UCONN her freshman year.

Reaction Score

A Voice of Reason! I'm shell-shocked and need a day or so to let that sink in.

Reaction Score
How could Geno have coached Dawn at UVA? He was already at UCONN her freshman year.
Good catch and my bad. I thought Geno was at UVA when they were really good., but it was actually right before they got good. Geno at UVA from 1981-1985. Dawn from 1988-1992. Thanks for correcting my poor memory.

Reaction Score
This team, in order to win a championship, would probably have to have Paige. I think that's the reality of the situation. The coaches and players should certainly have that as an end goal, but, for now, go thru the adjustments needed to be more competitive than they were last night. Major adjustments are needed, and will take time. It's not quite so easy as you make it sound. But they need everyone on board for any progress to happen. Tough row to hoe for all.
Do you really believe that even with PB this team would have any real chance to win the national title?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
interesting observation Conndog. I have been mulling this over for a couple of years. it seems that GA is stubborn with his offense. But he needs very high quality players for it to work. I can predict the first 3-4-5 passes of most every possession. Now you can say that about other teams as well, but Uconn does seem to be a bit stale or predictable on offense. I'd like to see more isolation/post ups for PB and for AE. Post ups and clear outs for AG as well.

GA brought a lot of innovation to the game many years ago but seems to have stagnated over the years.

By the way, despite all my criticism, I still think he is a quality coach, just not head and shoulders over the rest of the coaches out there. Will see how he does this year. I want to see if he can win with less.
Does Geno really have less? There are many top-flight recruits on UConn this season. The thing about Geno is, he has never won a NC without with a team that did not have a superstar.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
losing Shea Ralph is a big loss, don't care if people disagree. The communication she had with the guards was special, she is definitely missed.

I know that MoJeff really loved Shea.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom