TV Rights fees: $17,745,973
NCAA BB Fund: $1,675,027
Bowl Game Money: $2,616,184
NCAA Broad Based Fund: $1,584,181
Football Championship Game: $387,568
B1G BB Tourney: $421,143
NCAA Supplemental Rev: $295,124

Total: $24,675,200

tOSU had highest payout of $24,781,200 and (excluding Nebraska) Iowa had the lowest at $24,666,200

Nebraska only received a total of $14,311,124 composed of $14,016,000 for TV rights and $295,124 in NCAA supplemental revenue. In essence NU subsidized each legacy schools by approx $900K and won't start sharing equally until fiscal 2018.

These sort of figures make you think twice about conference realignment. In addition to leaving $50m behind (potentially), Maryland might see a half share up until 2021.

That's a lot of money for someone projecting out 10 years into the future. No one knows what the future holds. When it comes to Missouri leaving the SEC, this problem becomes much bigger. Why risk it? They are locked in. When it comes to Kansas even, they not only pay the big exit fee, but then they're looking at half shares for almost a decade while their own conference gets $22m+.

It's like agreeing to lose $80m + exit fees.

Anyone want to bet $100m on what the future of college football will look like 10-15 years from now?

Leaving the current 5 conferences is essentially a 20-30 year investment. No thanks!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
When does the b10n become paid for so the payout doubles? What year is the new tier 1 deal? We know fox has a public opening bid at 25mil for that alone. If you play sports like soccer, lax, baseball and puck your going to make a cool extra mil altogether tv inventory wise in the future from the b10n also.

When you start playing with numbers the 40mil figure throw around seems very possible and almost a lock for the b10 in a couple years. 2 to 6 slots left depending on what is possible and what the b10 wants.

Reaction Score
These sort of figures make you think twice about conference realignment. In addition to leaving $50m behind (potentially), Maryland might see a half share up until 2021.

Not true.

Maryland took care of itself in negotiations with the Big Ten. The B1G made a bunch of concessions to get the Terps including guaranteeing a front-loaded deal, which assures that Maryland will receive the exact same pay outs as every Big Ten school other than Nebraska and Rutgers from day 1. The immediate initiation of a Big Ten lacrosse league, being aligned in an "East" division, and, of course, the "travel subsidy" were three other bigger things Maryland required before agreeing to leave the ACC.

I'm not saying realignment doesn't make sense for some schools (see: West Virginia), but Maryland was basically offered buckets of cash to move from the ACC to the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
The way I understand it is in your 1st year u only get a half share and it increases 10% for 5 years till your at 100% share...in other words RU starting in "14" wont get a full share till "19"!!At least thats the way I understand it!!

Reaction Score
Not true.

Maryland took care of itself in negotiations with the Big Ten. The B1G made a bunch of concessions to get the Terps including guaranteeing a front-loaded deal, which assures that Maryland will receive the exact same pay outs as every Big Ten school other than Nebraska and Rutgers from day 1. The immediate initiation of a Big Ten lacrosse league, being aligned in an "East" division, and, of course, the "travel subsidy" were three other bigger things Maryland required before agreeing to leave the ACC.

I'm not saying realignment doesn't make sense for some schools (see: West Virginia), but Maryland was basically offered buckets of cash to move from the ACC to the Big Ten.

Front-loading a deal is nice, but the money is the same in the end. They just pushed up the payments, but the total amount will be the same. (Not consider extras as in travel subsidy).

Reaction Score
Front-loading a deal is nice, but the money is the same in the end. They just pushed up the payments, but the total amount will be the same. (Not consider extras as in travel subsidy).

I get it. But Maryland was able to address its immediate budget concerns as well as ensure its long-term stability. It was a good deal for them, which is something you can't say for every school that made a switch in the last decade.

Reaction Score
binge has it about right for UMD they got a great FRONT loaded deal that will be paid back at a later unknown to us time!!They needed a little more incentive than a more desperate team!Still it will all even out for the most part!

Reaction Score
I get it. But Maryland was able to address its immediate budget concerns as well as ensure its long-term stability. It was a good deal for them, which is something you can't say for every school that made a switch in the last decade.

Right, but since MD is over and done with, I'm talking about schools that are betting on something a quarter century from now. The B12 is always in danger of coming apart because of crazy Texas, and that reason alone might give Kansas incentive. Forget Missouri--they are done. but otherwise, if you're looking at money only, there is no reason for any school to jump conferences.

HFDan makes an interesting point about the B1G's potential payout of $40 million.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the so-called larger 45m+ expected payouts Delany was talking about in the next contract are supposed to start in "17" ?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Is anyone else surprised that Nebraska didn't get a better deal from the B1G? Based on what they got I would expect UConn to get a full share in a P5 conference by about 2025.

Reaction Score
Delany said minumum 42/45m per year in the upcoming contract and I see the higher side thats why "Cuse" and certain other enemies of RU and yes UConn too seem to be all up in arms over espins loss of the greater NYC area market!!I know it would be a major blow to the ACC and ESPin if UConn joined RU and MD in the B1G!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Also, the b10 snuck a 30mil payment to md already. They called it a travel loan or something but it was just in case the acc court stuff didn't go we'll so that md could stay on its feet until it starts getting b10 payouts. Md is closer to PSU and Ruty then most b10 school are to each other out west lol. Slick old JD. Md got one freaking hell of a setup to move to the b10. From there side I mean it had to be a sexy resume to move and from the b10s side it was do what u have to to get who you want.

What we need to watch now is
1- fox and how much they are willing to pay for tier 1. ESPN and others may get in on the bidding. We know if nothing comes up its 25mil which is impressive.
2-how good will the b10n be with new markets as the payout becomes full to schools after the setup is complete. Sports the next 5 sports under fball and bball become extremely valuable. I mean Michigan others could make more than uconn in the AAC potentially.
3-gee is on record talking about Mizzu and Kansas. Delano is on record talking about va to ne. The sec did not gor up with its secn now. The acc did gor up. Acc is ESPN so those right can't transfer to fox without a earthquake. They could transfer to the sec tho. The sec on the other hand seems to be quietly pushing 1 or 2 schools out the door or at least giving them the option. Fox owns more of the b12 but ESPN has a hand also. That makes the b12 a divy up situation if the day hits. The spread could be 6-4 or 7-3 schools to fox over ESPN.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Delany said minumum 42/45m per year in the upcoming contract and I see the higher side thats why "Cuse" and certain other enemies of RU and yes UConn too seem to be all up in arms over espins loss of the greater NYC area market!!I know it would be a major blow to the ACC and ESPin if UConn joined RU and MD in the B1G!

If Syracuse grew a pair and went public a couple years ago and became NY everything would be very different.

Reaction Score
The sec on the other hand seems to be quietly pushing 1 or 2 schools out the door or at least giving them the option.

I am curious. Any further details you can offer?

Reaction Score
Schiano I think was so disappointed Neb took RU's place in "10" he took the TB job!That's just the way I understood it!Delany's been fixated on NY/NJ and RU was in constant contact with them since "05"!!The B1G just could'nt pass up a brand like Neb when they became available!That's when they started looking at the blockbuster market deal with MD and RU!!

Reaction Score
Cuse is a bad fit in the B1G and when they saw the result of the B1Gs study of who would be the most valuable to give them the NY market "Cuse" started fluttering their eyebrows at the ACC!!They knew RU was just a matter of time and knew it might be them on the outside looking in instead of UConn and it galled them!!Imagine Cuse in your place?LOL!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I am curious. Any further details you can offer?
It seems obvious to me that the sec not following big 4 code and having a gor is them seeing if the b10 truly got locked out of getting a UVA type. It seems the sec is calling the b10s bluff of getting to 16. With everyone else in a gor to make things a bit harder to move rights, the sec seems to be dangling Mizzu and Vandy just to see how far the b10 is willing to go for there new tv deal in a couple years. Or they want to see how bad the b10 would work to split up the b12 rights and get Kansas with a Mizzu.

From the sec view they are sitting here saying, lets see what the b10 does. We have rights with ESPN so a FSU or Clem type in a do or die situation is way better than anyone else has backup wise. But if the b10 digs into the b12, then that opens up our floodgates. The sec now has a network like the b10 but the sec doesn't have a academics issue. A school like OKST is quietly pretty to the sec. Lets be honest. Even crappy on the field Texas tech looks good to the sec because its about the fan base size, territory and network. Sec has lots of options. B12 could blow up. Cincy is a Ohio get in backup wise. Acc schools are ESPN rights. Plenty to look at. If it comes down to the sec has to add a dreg school or it can raid the acc, ESPN will protect itself by raiding the acc then refilling the acc and keeping it afloat by not changing the contract. We all know this is there way.

Reaction Score
Heck,their FB team became average in the nick of time but unfortunately so did yours!I often wonder if you hired a big time or younger more exciting coach when RE left would your upward trajectory would have continued?I know it would'nt have hurt and I agreed Burton should have had a bigger say!

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If Delany thinks the B1G is going to get 42/45M he's smoking crack. ESPN is already laying of people because of the deals they negotiated. The money won't last. Think housing bubble. It will burst. Soon.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If the B1G paid us 50% and then increased it by .5% a year for 100 years I'd take it.

If the Big Ten offered to pay us a dollar less than the AAC, I'd take it.

Reaction Score
If the B1G paid us 50% and then increased it by .5% a year for 100 years I'd take it.

But.... this isn't about adding schools from non-made conferences. It's about the ACC and B12 getting picked off.

Reaction Score
If Delany thinks the B1G is going to get 42/45M he's smoking crack. ESPN is already laying of people because of the deals they negotiated. The money won't last. Think housing bubble. It will burst. Soon.

Unlike the ACC/SEC they're not relying solely on ESPN and new TV players are entering the sports channel market. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that it can balloon up.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Unlike the ACC/SEC they're not relying solely on ESPN and new TV players are entering the sports channel market. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that it can balloon up.

45M? Seriously? NBC is trying to climb out of a black hole. Fox isn't going to be able to pony up that kind of cash either. BTN? Not unless Delany becomes God and forces people to watch it. 45M is a pipe dream. It's a ploy by Delany to squeeze a few million more from some schmuck who wants to make a name for himself. One minute Delany is talking 45M and the next he's saying the B1G will go DIII if the O'Bannon suit goes the wrong way. Delany needs to stop reading his press clippings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom