Stokes Looking to Clear Mental Hurdles... | The Boneyard

Stokes Looking to Clear Mental Hurdles...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think BStew's arrival put Kiah on the back burner...along with Morgan presence. Geno has other's he can call on unlike last season. Lets go Kiah

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
She's saying the right things, but between the lines I read she may be similar in personality to Nykesha Sales, with whom Geno had a more babying approach.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Message to Kiah:

1. The Boneyard and Husky Nation are behind you.

2. Tina Charles struggled her first two years with intensity and consistency. She is now one of the best players in the world.

3. Coach accepts errors based on aggressiveness. Play intensely like Kelly did on Monday. If you get tired, the coaches will get you a break.

Best wishes!! You can make a huge difference this season.

Reaction Score
Message to Kiah:

2. Tina Charles struggled her first two years with intensity and consistency. She is now one of the best players in the world.
Great point. Gotta believe she will eventually get her act together. Would love to see her be able to provide solid back up to Stef and then be the starting center her senior year. She has physique and the basic skills. Staff will have to work their magic.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The stress reaction is probably more responsible for issues this year than the arrival of BS. Just tough to be consistent when you never know if you are going to be able to play. Hopefully that is at an end and it will be straight forward for the rest of the year.

Reaction Score
Kiah doesn’t realize it, but the situation she is in, the problems she is facing, are the precursors to greatness. All that is necessary is to continue developing the inner strength to continue, and to not give up. How many former UConn players experienced the same angst before going on to becoming top notch.

I know she will succeed. She has all of our support. We know it’s tough playing for Geno, and we know what results from that suffering. I’m confident, with her attitude, greatness is in her future.

Reaction Score
Kiah, I'm sure you know the college game is faster and harder. Shot angles are taken away and the time to take a good shot is very fleeting. Just assume other players can block and defend as well as you can. That might make you a better offensive contributor.

Here's hoping you'll breakout during the next 7 games and that you'll be a recognized force by the Baylor game.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I guess Google will have to readjust their hits count on the spelling of the phrase, now that you have weighed in on it.

I just thought it was funny I used that expression just a few days ago.

It appears both spellings will do. Not sure what your snarky response was all about.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The stress reaction is probably more responsible for issues this year than the arrival of BS. Just tough to be consistent when you never know if you are going to be able to play. Hopefully that is at an end and it will be straight forward for the rest of the year.
but Kiah agrees that its mental... she didnt mention anything physical. I understand that returning from a stress reaction (or any other injury) could bother you mentally. Who knows whats causing the problem

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
but Kiah agrees that its mental... she didnt mention anything physical. I understand that returning from a stress reaction (or any other injury) could bother you mentally. Who knows whats causing the problem
I was just reacting to the comment that Stewart might be the reason for some of her struggles this year. I was not contradicting Kiah, or the mental aspects. But I do think that first going through the recovery from surgery during the summer and then missing some significant portions of the first half of the year with the stress reaction is not helping the situation mentally or physically.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I was just reacting to the comment that Stewart might be the reason for some of her struggles this year. I was not contradicting Kiah, or the mental aspects. But I do think that first going through the recovery from surgery during the summer and then missing some significant portions of the first half of the year with the stress reaction is not helping the situation mentally or physically.
very true...

Reaction Score
I just thought it was funny I used that expression just a few days ago.

It appears both spellings will do. Not sure what your snarky response was all about.
Look, all respect possible, because you're a knowledgeable poster and I've learned a lot from reading what you have to say...but you're calling someone else out for snark?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Look, all respect possible, because you're a knowledgeable poster and I've learned a lot from reading what you have to say...but you're calling someone else out for snark?

I just asked him why the snarky response. If you want to know why I was snarky in a response to you or anyone else, I'd be happy to answer. I readily admit that my posts are snarky at times. And I have apologized to posters if someone points out that I was inappropriate. Sadly, more than one time...lol.

And I didn't call anyone out.

With all due respect, it's surprising to me that someone that has posted only 65 times would take the time to publicly admonish me on my response to Wonkster, who you have to know is every bit as snarky as me.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Because somedays he is grumpysaurus.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
" . . . when all the coaches get on me . . ."

IMO that says it all. She's either going to have to get over that or she's going to have a disappointing 4 years.

Reaction Score

IMO that says it all. She's either going to have to get over that or she's going to have a disappointing 4 years.
I THOUGHT the same thing when I read the article
She is going to have to be on the same page as her teammates What it takes to play
for UCONN She has a tremendous amount of natural talent It
is so apparent It is time to buy in and play with the same effort that others do
IRA

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Kiah has everything going for her...she won the genetic lottery, plays for the greatest basketball mind in the game and a school that competes for the crown every year.

She needs to start seeing the glass half full, instead of half empty. The only fear she should have, is the fear of not fulfilling her unlimited potential. Stop worrying about making mistakes and stop playing tepidly.

It's all there for the taking, she just has to want to be great! It was that overriding desire that finally brought Tina into the light her junior year.

Reaction Score
Kiah has everything going for her...she won the genetic lottery, plays for the greatest basketball mind in the game and a school that competes for the crown every year.

She needs to start seeing the glass half full, instead of half empty. The only fear she should have, is the fear of not fulfilling her unlimited potential. Stop worrying about making mistakes and stop playing tepidly.

It's all there for the taking, she just has to want to be great! It was that overriding desire that finally brought Tina into the light her junior year.

This pretty much how I see it too. I would add that she needs to know that there are only just so many windows of opportunity in life. Once she gets too far behind the other posts she could wind up like Heather.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score

Get over what, exactly?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"I just get the frustrated very easily and then when all the coaches get on me I kind of just break down. "

That. Maybe she should talk to Banks.

I find it amazing when players come to UConn and then get in a funk because the coach(s) yell at them. That's like new recruits at Parris Island being surprised when the DI's "get on them."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom