Still no good wins | The Boneyard

Still no good wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
20 games in and no signature win. No bad losses but this at home ain't good. For what it's worth coach has stepped it up. I cannot figure this group out so bipolar

Reaction Score
Michigan, at Texas, and Georgetown. Not signature wins, but good wins. FWIW, tonight wouldn't have been a signature win either. We get two chances at SMU, those are the last 2 chances for a signature win.

This loss hurts, we can't afford to lose @ Cincy or get swept by SMU.

Reaction Score
We can't drive against their front line and our "bigs" can't score against theirs. We were one point less tough than them tonight and it was a coin flip at the end. If we won this game it wouldn't be any more signature than Georgetown.

Reaction Score
Hard to get signature wins when we have 3 games all year against ranked teams.

That said, @Texas is pretty strong.

But it's not like the old days in the Big East where every week we were getting at least one game against a Top 25 team.

Reaction Score
Let me preface this by saying I like Ollie and want him to be the coach here for a long time.

But Jim Calhoun wins this conference every single year. It's not a strong conference and the fact that we can't get on top is an embarrassment.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Let me preface this by saying I like Ollie and want him to be the coach here for a long time.

But Jim Calhoun wins this conference every single year. It's not a strong conference and the fact that we can't get on top is an embarrassment.

Granted it's UConn and KO is JC's successor so comparison is inevitable, plus nobody wants the standard to drop. But all of this invocation of Calhoun ignores that he was the greatest on the planet at what he did. To think we could find an equal to him is foolish.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
F the tournament.... I want the team to keep winning just to keep the idiots away.

Nothing to contribute on good nights, come out the woodwork after losses. True wastes of bandwidth.

It is funny how you see so many new handles after a loss. I'm usually like, "who the duckck is that guy?"

Reaction Score
Granted it's UConn and KO is JC's successor so comparison is inevitable, plus nobody wants the standard to drop. But all of this invocation of Calhoun ignores that he was the greatest on the planet at what he did. To think we could find an equal to him is foolish.
My point isn't that he needs to be Calhoun. My point is this conference sucks and we've spent 3 seasons now making everyone else look good.

Ollie gets a TON of slack for that national championship, and he should. But if he misses the tournament again this year, that seat should get a little warm. We're not in a position to have crappy regular seasons year after year like we got away with in the Big East.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Ollie gets a TON of slack for that national championship, and he should. But if he misses the tournament again this year, that seat should get a little warm.

Not really. A guy needs a bare minimum of 4 years, in order to get a full cycle of his recruits through. Then you want to see what he does with it, so 5 years. And of course, Ollie was handed a program that had become a mess, so he should probably get a year or two beyond that. 6-7 years from hire plus one extra for winning the NC. That means they can make a decision on him sometime in the 2018 to 2019 time frame.

There's your road map.

Reaction Score
Not really. A guy needs a bare minimum of 4 years, in order to get a full cycle of his recruits through. Then you want to see what he does with it, so 5 years. And of course, Ollie was handed a program that had become a mess, so he should probably get a year or two beyond that. 6-7 years from hire plus one extra for winning the NC. That means they can make a decision on him sometime in the 2018 to 2019 time frame.

There's your road map.
No but you don't understand. Because we have been blessed with a top 3 all time CBB coach, we are to expect a 43 year old coach in his 4th season coaching at any level to simply match and continue the success that took the formerly mentioned coach a quarter century to build, without any loss in stride. Because sport is just magic like that.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
No but you don't understand. Because we have been blessed with a top 3 all time CBB coach, we are to expect a 43 year old coach in his 4th season coaching at any level to simply match and continue the success that took the formerly mentioned coach a quarter century to build, without any loss in stride. Because sport is just magic like that.

Hahah. Yep, and I was being conservative (in my mind) with the above road map.

Reaction Score
There were plenty of seasons in the last 10 years with Calhoun where people said he needed to retire....

Reaction Score
Calhoun built the program from scratch when we were playing in a fieldhouse and won against tougher competition. Ollie is standing on the shoulders of giants, and that comes with some advantages. Advantages that can and should be expected to translate into NCAA tournament appearances.

It's stupid that certain individuals overreact and talk about firing Ollie, but let's not act like he's been doing a phenomenal job as an in-game coach regardless of how long he's been at it. He shares in the responsibility when the team $hits the bed.

Reaction Score
My point isn't that he needs to be Calhoun. My point is this conference sucks and we've spent 3 seasons now making everyone else look good.

Ollie gets a TON of slack for that national championship, and he should. But if he misses the tournament again this year, that seat should get a little warm. We're not in a position to have crappy regular seasons year after year like we got away with in the Big East.

Even that's only in recent memory -- crappy regular seasons followed by the occasional magical run.

Most of the 90's and 2000's we were in the race for conference championships, earning top 2 seeds, and looking the part of a blue blood from November through March.

Mediocre regular seasons like we've had lately is a recipe for irrelevance if the March magic doesn't come.

Reaction Score
Going into this conference, I really thought we would be what Memphis was in Conference USA, where we essentially win the regular season and tournament every year. You can say what you want about getting signature wins, or not playing teams like CCSU or New Hampshire anymore, but our ticket to the NCAA Tournament is finishing at the top of the AAC.

We are currently 14-6 and 4-3 in the AAC. If we are playing in the NIT, its not because we didnt beat Syracuse, Gonzaga, Maryland, or we played to many cupcakes. Its because we couldnt take care of business in the conference.

Reaction Score
We are pretty much at the point were we have to win the Tourney to get in. Pretty much every AAC team is going to have to do that since we are only going to get the automatic qualifier in this year it looks like.

Reaction Score
There were plenty of seasons in the last 10 years with Calhoun where people said he needed to retire....
Indeed. Posters here think everything has to do with the coach , when the personnel (in this scenario ) arent cutting it. Nolan facey Enoch down low just isn't enough, that's three below average bigs .

Reaction Score
Not this game isn't all on the coach but our offense sure isn't improving and might be regressing now. What happened to the Memphis game were we played inside out. I guess that was just a mirage.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
3rdbass said:
We are pretty much at the point were we have to win the Tourney to get in. Pretty much every AAC team is going to have to do that since we are only going to get the automatic qualifier in this year it looks like.

LOL

Go take a look at all the teams to win at Texas.

I'll wait.

Reaction Score
Indeed. Posters here think everything has to do with the coach , when the personnel (in this scenario ) arent cutting it. Nolan facey Enoch down low just isn't enough, that's three below average bigs .

This is the 1st or 2nd most talented overall team in the conference so keep going on about "personnel" all you want but you're wrong.

Reaction Score
LOL

Go take a look at all the teams to win at Texas.

I'll wait.
Are you saying winning at Texas is going to get us in? LOL! Wow I hope you don't think that is the win that is going to get us in as the last time I looked they aren't even in the top 25. We need to beat SMU at least once to make a case.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
3rdbass said:
Are you saying winning at Texas is going to get us in? LOL! Wow I hope you don't think that is the win that is going to get us in. We need to beat SMU at least once to make a case.

No, im saying wins at Texas, convincingly over Michigan on a neutral court and at home against Georgetown...plus no truly awful losses...are what has them in.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
at Texas is a very good win

we have our problems, but lets not make it worse than it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics