Still More Proof that the NCAA's Malign, Incompetent | The Boneyard

Still More Proof that the NCAA's Malign, Incompetent

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Every year the NCAA puts on a lavish banquet and throws crumbs to the women. If it wasn’t worth money, then why does television broadcast every single game? Time for congress to make the NCAA open their books and tell the truth.

Reaction Score
Every year the NCAA puts on a lavish banquet and throws crumbs to the women. If it wasn’t worth money, then why does television broadcast every single game? Time for congress to make the NCAA open their books and tell the truth.
Do you seek the truth or do you just hope you are right?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Because social media would go crazy. You know the same people who become indignant at a perceived slight to women's basketball but won't do thing one to directly support women's basketball with their viewing time or cash.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Senator Tina Smith of Minnesota has called for an investigation into the NCAA treatment of the women's tournament. She is making appearances on television this morning to support Sedona Prince, and mentioning Sally Jenkins and her WaPo article. Keep it up, Senator.

Reaction Score
Women’s basketball, as well as the women’s tournament, does not make money. Photography and media costs money.

It sucks, but it’s definitely a business decision.
Sometimes I think the only true fans of women basketball are us grandfather types. Seriously, this changes only when parents encourage their daughters to participate—if they want—in sports and, almost more importantly, take them to games. I would hope women would fill the arenas, bringing their husbands and boyfriends. Marches are great—I participated in a few—but marching into the field house to watch girls in high school or young women in college or professionals in WNBA, will be the change itself. 51% of the country is female. The product, of course, is important. UConn fills the house because they deliver the goods. But every year parity grows. As the sport grows in popularity, there will be more girls attracted to sports. I remember when the star on the Colorado women’s team showed up at a Y basketball practice and my then 9-year-old granddaughter showed the CU player her Y card that listed her as her favorite “pro”. The CU player, conference player of the year, immediately photographed the Y card and turned to a teammate and said, “Best day ever.”

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
How many UConn fans know that the tourney has been receded? Baylor is now a 1 seed. So they won't meet UConn or any other team that qualifies.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
WHATTTTT??? I don't think so. You are a little misinformed. Joke???

Reaction Score
How many UConn fans know that the tourney has been receded? Baylor is now a 1 seed. So they won't meet UConn or any other team that qualifies.

The new brackets are as follows after the inaugural reseeding of the tournament:

1. UConn vs. South Florida
4. Oregon State vs. 5. Iowa
3. Tennessee vs. Iowa State
2. Maryland vs. 7. Northwestern

This is all that's been revealed so far.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Women’s basketball, as well as the women’s tournament, does not make money. Photography and media costs money.

It sucks, but it’s definitely a business decision.

An article in the Hartford Courant on this issue (weight room, swag bags. "March Madness", etc.) stated that the men's tournament generated $1,000,000,000.00, yes, 1 billion, in revenue. The women's tournament generated $38,000,000.00 (38 million) in revenue. The numbers are approximate and vary year to year. But it does give you and idea of the disparity in income and the subsequent "worth" of the 2 events in the pocket of the NCAA.

I am a fan of the womens's game for a lot of reasons. The men's game also, but less so. So I want to see the women's game grow. The NCAA should also want this. After all two billion dollar tournaments would be better than one.

It would be in their best interest to get more seed money into the women's tournament and grow it's popularity and it's income. Over time Increases in the men's game revenue will be incremental. If nurtured, increases in the women's tournament revenue will be exponential.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
An article in the Hartford Courant on this issue (weight room, swag bags. "March Madness", etc.) stated that the men's tournament generated $1,000,000,000.00, yes, 1 billion, in revenue. The women's tournament generated $38,000,000.00 (38 million) in revenue. The numbers are approximate and vary year to year. But it does give you and idea of the disparity in income and the subsequent "worth" of the 2 events in the pocket of the NCAA.

I am a fan of the womens's game for a lot of reasons. The men's game also, but less so. So I want to see the women's game grow. The NCAA should also want this. After all two billion dollar tournaments would be better than one.

It would be in their best interest to get more seed money into the women's tournament and grow it's popularity and it's income. Over time Increases in the men's game revenue will be incremental. If nurtured, increases in the women's tournament revenue will be exponential.
In order for the women’s game to grow it needs a bigger audience. Revenue will not match the men’s tournament until they on-par with promotions and viewership.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
In order for the women’s game to grow it needs a bigger audience. Revenue will not match the men’s tournament until they on-par with promotions and viewership.

Couldn't agree more with every word you wrote. But to grow viewership, the fanbase, you need to market the product. That takes seed money, an investment in the future.

Reaction Score
For those of you that are arguing that the revenue generated by the tournament should determine the quality of treatment of the athletes based on sex, I would state that you are wrong. That argument presupposes the college athletics exists in a vacuum of only the tournament. The truth is that while athletics are outside of mainstream academics, they only exist because the colleges exist as academics institutions.

Today, more than 50% of college students are women and more than 50% of the degrees at most schools are granted to women. These women are paying tuition that pays the professors, and keep universities alive. While you might argue that donors who support male teams are helping althetics, it is irrelevant because of title 9. Universities are bound to treat women fairly and equally. The NCAA gets around this because they are not bound by title 9. While that might be a legal argument, it’s certainly not an ethical one. Since women attend universities, pay tuition and are in fact part of the very life blood of these schools, they deserve no less than equal treatment at every level. Anyone who argues otherwise is saying that male students should get an inferior education, live in inferior housing and get worse text books because women make up greater than 50% of the tuition flow into the schools.

Since, of course that is silly, I would argue that schools must treat as a whole of all of their programs and that includes both academics and sports. Regardless of where the contributions of each sex are coming from, you must treat all students equally at all times.

Last edited:

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
The hard facts, sometime reality sucks. I attended my First WCBB game in the mid 1970's, there were more players than spectators. The game was just slightly better than the atrocious officiating. Things have changed, gotten better players and officiating have made huge leap's forward. I think we sometimes forget we are watching the preeminent woman's team in the county. Few woman's teams fan base pays what is needed to run the program. The same is true in regards to the tourney.
This does not excuse the vast disparity between the men's and woman's treatment in this years tournament, it highlights it. The woman's game needs more fans demanding a better deal for the women. The game needs more good players and more good teams this starts with youth programs thru AAU, and High School programs. It just doesn't happen because we want it to, it is growing, we need more fans to nurture it. It's the law of supply and demand. The more fans the bigger the voice, and dollars follow. Remember the tag line from a great movie. "If we build it they we come". I understand the term UCONN is bad for woman's basketball. In reality UCONN is great for WCBB .

Reaction Score
The new brackets are as follows after the inaugural reseeding of the tournament:

1. UConn vs. South Florida
4. Oregon State vs. 5. Iowa
3. Tennessee vs. Iowa State
2. Maryland vs. 7. Northwestern

This is all that's been revealed so far.
As of 2:15 PM, the NCAA website lists the games as they have been scheduled according to the original brackets. I think the info in the above post is based on Charlie Creme's confusing and misguided "reseeding", which is his opinion and not the official bracket schedue, which has not changed. ESPN still listing So. Florida vs. NC State and Iowa vs. Kentucky, along with all the other matchups previously announced and attained by the respective teams.

Reaction Score
As of 2:15 PM, the NCAA website lists the games as they have been scheduled according to the original brackets. I think the info in the above post is based on Charlie Creme's confusing and misguided "reseeding", which is his opinion and not the official bracket schedue, which has not changed. ESPN still listing So. Florida vs. NC State and Iowa vs. Kentucky, along with all the other matchups previously announced and attained by the respective teams.
I need a sarcasm font.

Reaction Score
I wish the ESPN “reseeding” was true, making UCONN and Baylor both 1 seeds, but it’s just an opinion piece after the first round results.

Reaction Score
That just shows how ignorant you are. The more coverage, the more interest. The more interest, the more viewers. The more viewers, the more money the women's championship brings in. It is a business decision, a jackass business decision by people who just don't get it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

The problem is, the NCAA breaks out the Men's basketball tournament as a stand alone product so they can nicely account for the money it brings in (though I am not sure they ever have clearly revealed their books, because ...)

The women's tournament is conveniently used as a catch all for all other sports they sanction - 23. Because of this they truly cannot break out how much revenue the women's tournament generates and they can simply say ... Men's basketball is the only money maker for the NCAA and therefore the only one we pay colleges to participate in. When they started sanctioning WCBB this was probably a reasonable division, but the world has changed and unless they use some very creative accounting, the WCBB tournament is a moneymaker now.

Now a normal corporation would usually break everything down clearly. Or they would lump the Men's tournament with all the money losing championships and demand winning media contracts had to provide coverage of x percentage of the competitions (including the championship itself) in each of those sports for them to be awarded the contracts. But ...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom