Stick with zone from start of games | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stick with zone from start of games

Reaction Score
Every team we play has been driving the lane for easy baskets and fouls. Except for Clingan, we seem to have no help-defense, and poor blocking out, resulting in missed rebounds. I think Coach needs to make some changes in his defensive strategy.

Also, we need to be a running and pressing team. Running because our offense isn't good enough in a halfcourt game. It also does no good to half bench depth if you don't try to wear down your opponent. We need to force the pace.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Wow. We have reached the point in this panic where our fans want us to be Syracuse. This is officially rock-bottom.

Reaction Score
he needs to adapt to what he has vs the other way around. No shame in doing so, you need to do what it takes to win. If we played that zone last night against SH and St J, we won both of those games. I dare say, with ease. Instead, two awful losses.
THIS!

He needs to get beyond this thought that playing zone is a failure. Losing is a failure. Winning by mixing in a zone is success

Reaction Score
Xavier is a top 5 offensive team in the country and they made 50% of their 3s against us (and for much of the game it was even higher).

The zone is a band-aid. It's confusing until the team figures it out. We switched the zone at one point to continue confusing them. But again, it's a band-aid. Eventually they will figure it out.
Exactly, zone was effective to change the game up, but a team that can shoot 3s like Xavier and has big men that can rebound effectively would’ve absolutely tore up the zone if we played it all game.

Reaction Score
Where was the staff to reign in Jackson after the first couple of misses early in the game?
Hurley said in post game conference that Jackson took the bait. No way should Jackson take that many shots to start a game. After the first foul by Jone at the 17:50 mark Hurley should have called a timeout or subbed out Jackson. He was already 0-4 and you can see Xavier strategy double Sanogo and make Jackson shoot regardless where he is on the court just let him shoot. A timeout and a counter in-game adjustment needs to be made. It was only 5-0 at that point.

By the 16 under timeout we were down 9-0 and were 0-10 from the field and Jackson took 5 more shots.

I admit this is Monday Morning QBing and 5-0 is till too close to burn a timeout but something needed to be done.

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
Xavier is a top 5 offensive team in the country and they made 50% of their 3s against us (and for much of the game it was even higher).

The zone is a band-aid. It's confusing until the team figures it out. We switched the zone at one point to continue confusing them. But again, it's a band-aid. Eventually they will figure it out.
Then switch back smh! Good coaches throw different looks at us all the time. Enough with the band-aid nonsense.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The zone DH throws out there just accentuates the difficulties this team had with interior D. It opens up the bottom half of the key where AS is parked and he had shown reluctance to play the tough D he had shown in previous seasons. I’m not sold on that zone at all.

Reaction Score
Just use the press in spurts
Start the game with it to increase the energy from start
As we ramp up energy and tempo we can change up possessions back into man.
Teams expect us to play man since that’s all we do. Why not do something to confound the other side?

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
We can all have opinions but the old saying you are what your record is, applies to this team in every way. We played our best when other teams under estimated us. Our early season play put a target on a team the was not yet ready to be the hunted but where more comfortable playing with out great expectations. Too much pressure for this group. It is what it is. I can still see them winning a game or two in the tourney.

Reaction Score
Just use the press in spurts
Start the game with it to increase the energy from start
As we ramp up energy and tempo we can change up possessions back into man.
This. Yes. That full-court 1-3-1 look and a rowdy Gampel had Xavier rattled for a little bit and it forced turnovers against an elite Offensive team. X still shot efficiently tho. I also think that when sanogo is in we should switch on defense as opposed to fighting through screens. Matchup zone/triple switch man D when clingan is in. This will create chaos for opposing team out of the gate and if they burn us from 3 early we can switch back into man fairly quickly.

Reaction Score
Exactly, zone was effective to change the game up, but a team that can shoot 3s like Xavier and has big men that can rebound effectively would’ve absolutely tore up the zone if we played it all game.

Yeah, but just think about it. If we open the game with pressure zones, the we’re the ones up by double digits and X would have been fighting to come back from a 12 point deficit. Even if it doesn’t stifle them for an entire game, it’s almost always easier to play with the lead than to try to come back from behind.

Reaction Score

I like eventually better than immediately. Mix it up. Play some zones and man to man and press. Gotta confuse the opponent. Make them uncomfortable. What we have done the last month is not conducive to winning - giving up 80 points per game is not sustainable.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. If our advantage is depth, then play to it. Our man to man is routinely getting shredded. If we played that D tonight against SH and St J we’d have 2 less losses.
We gave up 83 points. What D?!!!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Our man scheme is to specifically not help. That is what needs to change or we need a recommitment to play hard one on one defense, unless one thinks we can't at certain spots. I have to believe JC would dole out minutes at the 1, 2, 4 based on defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom