Stewie's Third Foul | The Boneyard

Stewie's Third Foul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I had to go back and watch this in slow mo.....and my real time impression was confirmed. Oh well.

Reaction Score
I've seen that move several times this year. A smaller player bends over to lower their center of gravity then back into a bigger player to move them. It must be taught as a technique to move a bigger player. It was what Chiney was trying to do to Dolson but she missed, fell and KML came down on top of her. The next time was in a Tenn game and a player did it to Harrison, bending and backing in, undercutting the player. I can't see why it isn't a "point of emphasis". There was supposed to be a stop to the Shaq. O'Neil-style bulldozer play. It is far too dangerous a move.

Reaction Score
Rewound this foul several times myself. couldn't understand how Stewie got called, but it wasn't the only interesting call/non-call. Opposing teams are getting pretty physical to try to win by getting UConn to foul back in anger. Not working, but it is a bit concerning that the ref.s are letting it get worse against our players. I am spending alot of rewinds watching Stewie and Stef wrestling under the hoop lately. Seems almost as if the ref.s WANT Uconn to lose or get hurt. Don't understand it.

I guess what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.........:mad:

Reaction Score
for argument's sake, somebody else looking at it might think that breanna was over the back before the submarine occurred. there was certainly no way she was ever going to get a hand on that ball to begin with. don't know what she was trying to do.
before too much complaining goes on about officiating, keep in mind that uconn has shot 76% more foul shots than their opponents. i know that they are great defenders, but...

Reaction Score
Stewie did go over the back in the beginning and I don't know what the call would be on the USF player but that didn't look kosher.

60 TO GO

Reaction Score
nah, you're right. Just fun to talk to someone about it. My wife looks at me like I'm crazy when I try to draw her into these types of discussions.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
nah, you're right. Just fun to talk to someone about it. My wife looks at me like I'm crazy when I try to draw her into these types of discussions.

Are you counting on us to disagree with her :)

Reaction Score
Hope not. No fun otherwise. Besides she just told me You do Boneyard, I do PTA and never the two shall meet. Thank goodness. :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
for argument's sake, somebody else looking at it might think that breanna was over the back before the submarine occurred. there was certainly no way she was ever going to get a hand on that ball to begin with. don't know what she was trying to do.
before too much complaining goes on about officiating, keep in mind that uconn has shot 76% more foul shots than their opponents. i know that they are great defenders, but...
The defender was backing into her before she had the chance to go over the back undermining her. It is a call in the books and should be called.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
It is very hard to imagine how you could watch this repeatedly and in slow motion and not see that all contact was initiated by the opposing player.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Stewie did go over the back in the beginning and I don't know what the call would be on the USF player but that didn't look kosher.

60 TO GO
When u are pushing or displacing another player by backing into them- it's an obvious foul. Kelly and Tiffany and our players have been called for this many times over the years for overly aggressive box outs. You can block out but u can't displace.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Rewound this foul several times myself. couldn't understand how Stewie got called, but it wasn't the only interesting call/non-call. Opposing teams are getting pretty physical to try to win by getting UConn to foul back in anger. Not working, but it is a bit concerning that the ref.s are letting it get worse against our players. I am spending alot of rewinds watching Stewie and Stef wrestling under the hoop lately. Seems almost as if the ref.s WANT Uconn to lose or get hurt. Don't understand it.

I guess what doesn't kill you makes you stronger....:mad:
I don't care what the % of fouls are called on us vs opposition, the two of them are getting mauled under the hoop. And with two of our top six out- and the new style of officiating, we could become very beatable very quickly by many teams. Our depth is our obvious Achilles heal.

Reaction Score
stewie shld not be called for a foul. it shld be the opposing player who displaced and backing stewie....refs must take a look on this ...i saw chiney trying to do it to stef but stef moved back and chiney missed it and put herself to the floor and kml hit the floor....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I do think after making it a point of emphasis, the NCAA has completely dropped the ball on lane play and post play though I agree it is a much more difficult situation to referee - who initiates contact, who is pushing too hard against the other other player?
What has upset me all year is the lower body contact on shooters in the act of shooting near the basket where it displaces the player. It is happening a lot and seldom being called. Touch the shooters arm and it is a foul, displace the body by 12 inches and most of the time it is not.
Specific to rebounding it is a difficult situation - a blocking player and a blocked player will be leaning against each other to maintain their positions. If one player jumps before the other, it removes their base and they will naturally be displaced as they are no longer grounded. Generally the one who hasn't jumped maintains their balance and does not overly displace the jumper and no foul is called (and it shouldn't be.) And if the jumper is the taller player because the initial pressure was lower on their center of gravity and becomes lower still as they jump, there is more tendency to be 'submarined' by the shorter player - not just displaced but overbalanced/knocked off vertical. The general rule of thumb in the decision between 'over the back' vs. a displacement foul seems to be if the ball would naturally have fallen in a reasonably close position to the leaper it is not over the back, if they have had to reach far into the space above or in front of the displacer it is.
With a player like Stewart (and Stokes) who have a decent vertical and long arms it is harder to define that space and you see a lot of opposing coaches complain about non-calls of 'over the back' in Uconn games because of this. It is very much a judgement call and I think generally it has been called well - there are always a few disputable calls and non-calls, but I haven't seen a bad trend in the Uconn games or any game where I thought the refs were consistently miscalling the distinctions. Nor have I seen coaches or players disputing many of those calls during a game beyond the standard 'who me' kind of reaction to any foul.
On that particular play - there was certainly a lot of displacement that occurred, but I think the call was based more on where the rebound was coming down and the fact that Stewart was reaching far into the opponents natural space initially. Definitely a debatable foul, but one that there is probably no truly 'correct' call to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom