Stewie | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stewie

Reaction Score
Stewie is in a league of her own. She's the only one in tier 1. Maya and Diana and maybe one day Paige and/or Azzi can be in tier 1A while Sue, Rebecca, Tina are in tier 2.

Reaction Score
Stewie is in a league of her own. She's the only one in tier 1. Maya and Diana and maybe one day Paige and/or Azzi can be in tier 1A while Sue, Rebecca, Tina are in tier 2.

You guys are really underestimating what Maya had done before sitting out.

Reaction Score
I mean what they did at UConn. No one will ever be in Stewie's category unless we think Paige or Azzi is about to win 4 straight national championships and 4 final four MOP awards. If we're talking tiers based on overall body of work, then we have to open up the discussion to non-UConn players as well.

Reaction Score
Hmmm....UConn's transcendent talents will all soon be married. Only Maya is in a heterosexual relationship. Good for them.....boldly declaring their preferences.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My opinion: in the EuroLeague final four SF and championship games, Tiffany Hayes played better than anyone. Should have been Finals MVP

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good for you but yes, the reference was their college experience. To use total NCs won as individual measure in team sports is misguided. Had Shea and Sveta not been injured, Diana would have had four as well. But the true measure of Diana's accomplishments are her last two years.....she carried those teams to two titles without the outstanding collective help that Stewie had during her four years. There is no denying that Stewie is a great player but she had more help overall.

Transcendent talents all, Stewie, Diana, Maya, and Sue played different roles in a team sport and they were all great at that during their years at UConn.

Reaction Score
Good for you but yes, the reference was their college experience. To use total NCs won as individual measure in team sports is misguided. Had Shea and Sveta not been injured, Diana would have had four as well. But the true measure of Diana's accomplishments are her last two years.....she carried those teams to two titles without the outstanding collective help that Stewie had during her four years. There is no denying that Stewie is a great player but she had more help overall.

Transcendent talents all, Stewie, Diana, Maya, and Sue played different roles in a team sport and they were all great at that during their years at UConn.
I'll grant you a point, for the sake of argument, that she had a stronger supporting cast. Using the same logic it seems more than reasonable that Stewart, without as good a team around her would have still won the same games if called upon to do so. We'll never know but as effortless as she made it look I have no doubt she could have dropped forty or more on any given night and still been one of the best rim guards we've ever seen.

Reaction Score

No. The original post clearly showed all the awards Stewie has won, collegiate and professional. I wasn’t taking anything away from Stewie. I’m just saying Maya has won more than people realize

Reaction Score
I'll grant you a point, for the sake of argument, that she had a stronger supporting cast. Using the same logic it seems more than reasonable that Stewart, without as good a team around her would have still won the same games if called upon to do so. We'll never know but as effortless as she made it look I have no doubt she could have dropped forty or more on any given night and still been one of the best rim guards we've ever seen.
With Maria Conlon as PG? Just switch their teammates and see what you really think if she could for those last two years of Diana. If you give her MoJeff as PG, then the chances are much better.

Reaction Score
No. The original post clearly showed all the awards Stewie has won, collegiate and professional. I wasn’t taking anything away from Stewie. I’m just saying Maya has won more than people realize
Didn't read the original post.....I just read his qualification limiting it to the UConn experience. Then, of course you are right......Maya changed the fortunes of the Lynx and then helped maintain it through those years.....

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
For a time Maya had an utterly crazy period where she never went more than two years without winning a championship of some kind. Probably @MilfordHusky could supply the details.

Reaction Score

Transcendent talents all, Stewie, Diana, Maya, and Sue played different role
It’s difficult to compare players across years. In a team sport, a player’s ability is judged by the surrounding cast and other players playing at the same time. Two players of the same ability can be perceived differently when playing years apart. Over time, more awards and opportunities are available. Stewie has had more options than Diana or Sue.

One thing Diana and Sue have right now is longevity. They’ve been successful from a young age well past when most players retire.

As fans, we are so fortunate to enjoy the success of the players. Truly a wonderful group of women.

Reaction Score

I put Stewie 1 and DT 2. I felt overall Stewie's competition was tougher. For example, I don't believe DT's teams of 02-03 and 03-04 could have beaten the terrific ND teams.

Reaction Score
I put Stewie 1 and DT 2. I felt overall Stewie's competition was tougher. For example, I don't believe DT's teams of 02-03 and 03-04 could have beaten the terrific ND teams.
That's precisely the point. Those teams were among the weakest of the UConn NC teams, if not the weakest, and the top competition were stronger than them, yet they won. Why? DT.

Stewie's teams on the other hand were better than their competition especially in her last three years, so you expected them to win and they did....absolutely dominant in her last two years - with excellent players in all positions and deep reserves. Her freshman year started out with the team lesser than the top teams because the freshmen were getting integrated into the team, once they were functioning more smoothly and Stewie got her confidence, they rose to the top.

So, who is better than lifting the team over their competition? I would say in this case that DT was.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For a time Maya had an utterly crazy period where she never went more than two years without winning a championship of some kind. Probably @MilfordHusky could supply the details.

My memory is a little fuzzy, but here's a rough start:

Multiple (4) AAU National Championships, 2005 and 2006.

Georgia State Champions, 2005, 2006, 2007. Undefeated in 2007.

NCAA Champions, 2009, 2010. Undefeated in both seasons, the only undefeated team in consecutive years.

WNBA Champions, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017.

Spanish League Champions, 2012.

Euroleague Champions, 2012, 2018.

World Cup Champions, 2010, 2014.

Olympic Gold Medalist, 2012, 2016.

Chinese League Champions, 2013, 2014, 2015.

From 2005 through 2018, a 14-year span, her teams won 23 championships. Only 2008 did not include a championship at the highest level available.

Reaction Score
My memory is a little fuzzy, but here's a rough start:

Multiple (4) AAU National Championships, 2005 and 2006.

Georgia State Champions, 2005, 2006, 2007. Undefeated in 2007.

NCAA Champions, 2009, 2010. Undefeated in both seasons, the only undefeated team in consecutive years.

WNBA Champions, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017.

Spanish League Champions, 2012.

Euroleague Champions, 2012, 2018.

World Cup Champions, 2010, 2014.

Olympic Gold Medalist, 2012, 2016.

Chinese League Champions, 2013, 2014, 2015.

From 2005 through 2018, a 14-year span, her teams won 23 championships. Only 2008 did not include a championship at the highest level available.
Accolades or not. Maya has and always will be my favorite husky to watch. I'm not a UConn fan either

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
That's precisely the point. Those teams were among the weakest of the UConn NC teams, if not the weakest, and the top competition were stronger than them, yet they won. Why? DT.

Stewie's teams on the other hand were better than their competition especially in her last three years, so you expected them to win and they did....absolutely dominant in her last two years - with excellent players in all positions and deep reserves. Her freshman year started out with the team lesser than the top teams because the freshmen were getting integrated into the team, once they were functioning more smoothly and Stewie got her confidence, they rose to the top.

So, who is better than lifting the team over their competition? I would say in this case that DT was.
The 01 team is generally considered to be UConn’s greatest collection of talent, but they underperformed. Subsequent interviews suggested the chemistry was not working. Auriemma, for example, made a quip about Ralph and Abrosimova not passing to others. The TASSK squad acknowledged some coolness from the upperclassmen. After Abrosimova went down they played Notre Dame better than before. After Ralph went down they still prevailed against Notre Dame thanks to Bird at the Buzzer in the BE championship.

During the NCAA tournament the team was playing as well as they had all year until the second half of the Notre Dame, and why not? Surrounding Taurasi remained three future Olympians who had significant roles in the championship in the year prior, plus a center who set a record for blocks in that NC game. In contrast, Stewart’s supporting cast her freshman year had one player with a role in a previous NC, Faris and no future Olympians. We struggled against Notre Dame all year in 01, but even moreso in ‘13 when a Diggins led ND squad won the three previous games.

Yet we lost in ‘01 and Taurasi was a major factor in that loss, going 1/15. We won in ‘13 with Stewart scoring 29 points to exorcise the ND demon. I do consider what Taurasi did in ‘03 and ‘04 to be a greater challenge met. You speculate that Stewart would not succeed in the same position. Whether true or not we won’t know, it’s mere speculation, Stewart was not presented that opportunity. We do know that Stewart rose to every challenge she was presented while Taurasi failed at one. The challenge she failed at her freshman year was similar to Stewart’s, except that Taurasi had the stronger, more NC experienced supporting cast, while Stewart faced a ND squad with greater overall talent and had owned us previously.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Accolades or not. Maya has and always will be my favorite husky to watch. I'm not a UConn fan either

When I watch Maya's highlights, I'm reminded of how good she was. She made plays no one else made before her or since.

Reaction Score
The 01 team is generally considered to be UConn’s greatest collection of talent, but they underperformed. Subsequent interviews suggested the chemistry was not working. Auriemma, for example, made a quip about Ralph and Abrosimova not passing to others. The TASSK squad acknowledged some coolness from the upperclassmen. After Abrosimova went down they played Notre Dame better than before. After Ralph went down they still prevailed against Notre Dame thanks to Bird at the Buzzer in the BE championship.

During the NCAA tournament the team was playing as well as they had all year until the second half of the Notre Dame, and why not? Surrounding Taurasi remained three future Olympians who had significant roles in the championship in the year prior, plus a center who set a record for blocks in that NC game. In contrast, Stewart’s supporting cast her freshman year had one player with a role in a previous NC, Faris and no future Olympians. We struggled against Notre Dame all year in 01, but even moreso in ‘13 when a Diggins led ND squad won the three previous games.

Yet we lost in ‘01 and Taurasi was a major factor in that loss, going 1/15. We won in ‘13 with Stewart scoring 29 points to exorcise the ND demon. I do consider what Taurasi did in ‘03 and ‘04 to be a greater challenge met. You speculate that Stewart would not succeed in the same position. Whether true or not we won’t know, it’s mere speculation, Stewart was not presented that opportunity. We do know that Stewart rose to every challenge she was presented while Taurasi failed at one. The challenge she failed at her freshman year was similar to Stewart’s, except that Taurasi had the stronger, more NC experienced supporting cast, while Stewart faced a ND squad with greater overall talent and had owned us previously.
No, the coach was the main factor in that loss: he didn't stop DT from continuing to shoot that many, especially from downtown.....especially since he wasn't expecting her to be a major player in the FF before Shea and Sveta got injured. In fact, DT was basically a bit player in that team......

I would say, not the greatest coaching job there...

In those last two years however, she was the focal point of the team. The test really is: just switch them in those teams in the last two years of Diana and see if you can visualize the same result with Maria Conlon as the PG.

Last edited:

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
No, the coach was the main factor in that loss: he didn't stop DT from continuing to shoot that many, especially from downtown.....especially since he wasn't expecting her to be a major player in the FF before Shea and Sveta got injured. In fact, DT was basically a bit player in that team......

I would say, not the greatest coaching job there...

In those last two years however, she was the focal point of the team. The test really is: just switch them in those teams in the last two years of Diana and see if you can visualize the same result with Maria Conlon as the PG.
I don’t think you really mean where your argument leads, but I’ll address the major claims.

UConn teaches a read and react system and the point guard in particular is supposed to be able to assess the opponent’s defense and direct the offense accordingly. This was particularly true for Bird, who was considered the best PG in the country even as a sophomore and for whom Auriemma once charged “If anything goes wrong it’s your fault.”

For better or worse, Bird considered Taurasi the best player on the team even as a freshman. Perhaps this factored in to her not curbing Taurasi, perhaps not, but in theory it was her responsibility. You can fault Bird, but she is the greatest decision-making PG in the history of the game. You can fault Auriemma for his philosophy of read and react with the PG firmly in charge, but it’s part of a philosophy that has won more championships than any other. In any case I said Taurasi’s poor performance was a major factor, which is different from saying the main factor, so which one you want to hold more accountable for not curbing Taurasi matters not to me.

As for Taurasi being a bit player, she started 14 out of 33 games, most of them leading up to and including the tournaments. She averaged 23.9 mpg and 10.9 mpg for the season. Stewart also started 14 games, out of 36. I could not track down mpg for that season but it was in the same ballpark. I believe Taurasi was all-tournament in the Regionals so there was every reason to believe this “bit player” could also play a major role in the FF.

I suppose you make the point about “bit player” to emphasize Taurasi was not in charge of the team as a freshman. True enough, the same could be said for Stewart. Yet at least the PG in ‘01 thought Taurasi was the best player on the team and chose to get her the ball. Dolson expressed a similar sentiment, saying her goal was to get Stewart the ball even though she was only a freshman. The difference being that when Dolson got her the ball in the FF against ND, Stewart delivered.

If you put Stewart on the ‘03, ‘04 teams, the 5’11” Turner would likely have played SG, which she played in HS, instead of a very small PF. A downgrade from Taurasi at SG definitely, but then our front line would have been 6’4” and 6’3” rather than 6’3” and 5’11”. If you don’t think that a significant improvement for the team don’t let on to all the folks on the BY clamoring for bigs. You would have a superb player in big moments in either case. I don’t know what the outcome would be.

Reaction Score
I don’t think you really mean where your argument leads, but I’ll address the major claims.

UConn teaches a read and react system and the point guard in particular is supposed to be able to assess the opponent’s defense and direct the offense accordingly. This was particularly true for Bird, who was considered the best PG in the country even as a sophomore and for whom Auriemma once charged “If anything goes wrong it’s your fault.”

For better or worse, Bird considered Taurasi the best player on the team even as a freshman. Perhaps this factored in to her not curbing Taurasi, perhaps not, but in theory it was her responsibility. You can fault Bird, but she is the greatest decision-making PG in the history of the game. You can fault Auriemma for his philosophy of read and react with the PG firmly in charge, but it’s part of a philosophy that has won more championships than any other. In any case I said Taurasi’s poor performance was a major factor, which is different from saying the main factor, so which one you want to hold more accountable for not curbing Taurasi matters not to me.

As for Taurasi being a bit player, she started 14 out of 33 games, most of them leading up to and including the tournaments. She averaged 23.9 mpg and 10.9 mpg for the season. Stewart also started 14 games, out of 36. I could not track down mpg for that season but it was in the same ballpark. I believe Taurasi was all-tournament in the Regionals so there was every reason to believe this “bit player” could also play a major role in the FF.

I suppose you make the point about “bit player” to emphasize Taurasi was not in charge of the team as a freshman. True enough, the same could be said for Stewart. Yet at least the PG in ‘01 thought Taurasi was the best player on the team and chose to get her the ball. Dolson expressed a similar sentiment, saying her goal was to get Stewart the ball even though she was only a freshman. The difference being that when Dolson got her the ball in the FF against ND, Stewart delivered.

If you put Stewart on the ‘03, ‘04 teams, the 5’11” Turner would likely have played SG, which she played in HS, instead of a very small PF. A downgrade from Taurasi at SG definitely, but then our front line would have been 6’4” and 6’3” rather than 6’3” and 5’11”. If you don’t think that a significant improvement for the team don’t let on to all the folks on the BY clamoring for bigs. You would have a superb player in big moments in either case. I don’t know what the outcome would be.
I understand the basic premise of UConn's offense and its ramifications. My point remains.....many misses on the way to 1-15 means that the coach had abdicated his responsibility to intervene and direct the flow in a different direction to reverse unfortunate developments and redirect it towards a winning flow. The coach has ultimate power to change the course of any game and reverse any decision-making by his players. Letting Sue continue to put the onus on a freshman's shoulders in her first start at the FF at that, may have been OK initially to rely on personal assessment of what the player can do but foolhardy to continue in the flow of the game.

I also understand your idea of reshuffling the lineup of those teams but Maria Conlon as PG would be a fatal weakness. She helped bring up the ball to conserve Diana's strength throughout the game but gave it up to DT at the appropriate moments for the latter to dictate and create what happens next. In the reconfigured team, there is no adequate substitute for that role, let alone equal. From her position, Stewie was not equipped to do this at that time, as outstanding as she was. They were both outstanding in their different roles and that is the point......the one who controls the ball has more influence in the game. Hence, you often hear Geno say that in the playoffs, guard play is the most important, (my addition: especially on offense).

Please understand, I have nothing against Stewie, she was - by all means - great. Although Geno often muses about positionless set of basketball players.....even in her junior and senior years Stewie had not developed enough to remotely come close to kind of guard play influencers Sue and Diana were.

And thanks, you have made this a bit more fun....

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom