Stewie-time | The Boneyard

Stewie-time

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In her 4 seasons at UConn, Stewie had an uncanny ability to raise her game during the Big Dance, earning 4 straight MOP awards during UConn’s 4 straight national championships. I once suggested that in March Stewie would find the nearest phone booth and emerge as Supergirl.

Based on the game yesterday when Seattle closed out a good Minnesota team to advance to the finals. Stewie continues to step up when the games mean the most. In perhaps her best playoff game since she entered the W, Stewie was phenomenal. She tallied a career playoff high of 31 pts (14-22, 2x3’s), 7 assists, 6 rebounds, 3 steals, 2 blocks.

As much as I love DT, Stewie continues to make a strong case for GOAT. Doe anyone really believe that Las Vegas has a chance against Seattle with Stewie playing at this level?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While Stewie was phenomenal, 39 year-old Sue Bird was merely great with 16 pts and 9 assists, while continuing to defy mother-time. Nice efforts also by youngsters Pheesa and Crystal in a losing effort. UConn WBB had its imprint all over this game. I hope basketball recruits everywhere were watching.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Pheesa is a terrific player...in so many respects.
I've always admired her...from that afternoon in Bridgeport where as a freshman she took over a tough game and in a minute or two drained any drama out of it.

She squeezes so much from what her physicality allows.

It would be fascinating to see a front court of her and Maya.
Perhaps the pair would be completely unstoppable.

But the way Stewie glided and pranced around the court yesterday, pouring them in from near and far (not that other parts of her game were lacking)...was like a great ballet dancer...almost reminded me of Baryshnikov in Don Q...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnoJO2KxxvA

There is an element of pure athleticism, unparalleled in the woman's game...and I imagine that there is even more in store for us in the coming years
as she comes to grip with her almost limitless potential.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I think back to the steal Moore made in the final seconds of the game against Depaul, saving us from a loss, and I marvel at her supreme determination and athleticism. Then I think back to that block Stewart made on Rutgers, covering the full court in the same time it took the opponent to travel 3/4 of the court, and my impression is more like “this is child’s play for her.” The game seems so easy for Stewart (though I know it requires hard work) that it undermines impressions of her athleticism and skill.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Watching Stewie find her way to the rim through a double team I see a player who, if she arrived at UConn this fall, would still earn the lasagna and weigh room outcry from certain members here.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In her 4 seasons at UConn, Stewie had an uncanny ability to raise her game during the Big Dance, earning 4 straight MOP awards during UConn’s 4 straight national championships. I once suggested that in March Stewie would find the nearest phone booth and emerge as Supergirl.

Based on the game yesterday when Seattle closed out a good Minnesota team to advance to the finals. Stewie continues to step up when the games mean the most. In perhaps her best playoff game since she entered the W, Stewie was phenomenal. She tallied a career playoff high of 31 pts (14-22, 2x3’s), 7 assists, 6 rebounds, 3 steals, 2 blocks.

As much as I love DT, Stewie continues to make a strong case for GOAT. Does anyone really believe that Las Vegas has a chance against Seattle with Stewie playing at this level?

Agreed. There will be no drop off in her recent performance in the championship games. This is the Storm's year. They won't be denied. I'm calling it now, the Storm in 4 games. Don't be surprised if Stewie is named the MVP of the championship games.

To answer your last question: No! If Liz Cambage had decided to play this year, the Aces would have had a much better chance of winning the championship. Without her, no. The Aces' Dearica Hamby, the WNBA's Sixth Woman of the Year the past two seasons, is not expected to play again this season because of a right knee injury. They can't win without Hamby. :(

The true league MVP will be revealed next game!

I believe she already has. ;)

While Stewie was phenomenal, 39 year-old Sue Bird was merely great with 16 pts and 9 assists, while continuing to defy mother-time. Nice efforts also by youngsters Pheesa and Crystal in a losing effort. UConn WBB had its imprint all over this game. I hope basketball recruits everywhere were watching.

Me too. The facts speak for themselves. We keep touting how well UConn graduates fair in the WNBA, and how much they are coveted by most teams/coaches in the league. While coming to UConn is no guarantee of being a first round draft selection, it greatly enhances your chances.
The recent history of UConn seniors that opted for the drat speaks for itself.

I think back to the steal Moore made in the final seconds of the game against Depaul, saving us from a loss, and I marvel at her supreme determination and athleticism. Then I think back to that block Stewart made on Rutgers, covering the full court in the same time it took the opponent to travel 3/4 of the court, and my impression is more like “this is child’s play for her.” The game seems so easy for Stewart (though I know it requires hard work) that it undermines impressions of her athleticism and skill.

Stewie is very comfortable with the game pro game now. The great ones make it look easy. She has enough games under her belt now that she is a comfortable as one can get. No surprises at this point. She knows exactly what her coach and teammates need and expect her to do.

Las Vegas and the Sun had a good run this season. I think the Sun win tomorrow (Tues) night's game 5, and punch their ticket to the championship series against the Storm. They appear to be playing harder and with more urgency and determination than the Aces. The Aces should have put them away earlier. I'm surprised the Sun took them to 5 games. A tip o' the turban to Alyssa Thomas.......

1601306970814.png

who gutted it out, and played through a lot of injury and pain. With her, they have a chance. Without her, they have no chance. SHE is the heart and soul of the Sun.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
She had been stat sheet stuffing in the previous 2 games of the series, but was shooting a chilly 11-33 from the floor and 2-10 behind the arc. She was overdue for a good shooting performance. By contrast Jewell Loyd hit 14-19 shots in the first 2 games including 8-11 behind the arc.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She had been stat sheet stuffing in the previous 2 games of the series, but was shooting a chilly 11-33 from the floor and 2-10 behind the arc. She was overdue for a good shooting performance. By contrast Jewell Loyd hit 14-19 shots in the first 2 games including 8-11 behind the arc.

And? Do you think posters here are unaware of what happened in the first 2 games? This is a thread by UConn fans about Stewie's fantastic performance yesterday. No need to assume your UConn wet blanket role in this thread.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

As much as I love DT, Stewie continues to make a strong case for GOAT. Doe anyone really believe that Las Vegas has a chance against Seattle with Stewie playing at this level?
Stewie is the best in the game right now. Dee is the GOAT. Stewie will need to be in the league for at least 10 more years before she comes close to challenging Dee for GOAT.

This is no knock on Stewie, but Dee has won everything there is (and then some) in the pros. 4 Olympic gold medals, 3 WNBA championships, MANY Euro (and other) league championships, most ever points in the WNBA, etc. She also has won the scoring title in the W 5 times and been on 9 all-star teams.

I do believe, if she stays healthy, Stewie will pass Dee and eventually become the GOAT. And like I said, Stewie is the best player in the world IMHO right now, but Dee has accomplished so much more in her career.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
And? Do you think posters here are unaware of what happened in the first 2 games? This is a thread by UConn fans about Stewie's fantastic performance yesterday. No need to assume your UConn wet blanket role in this thread.

This thread is about performing in the biggest games. The WHOLE playoffs are important. Yesterday wasn't a do or die game for Seattle. Stewie was fantastic yesterday, no doubt about that.

Reaction Score
Not a UT fan, but it's refreshing to see Mercedes Russell moving more fluidly than she ever did at UT. Hopefully, her knees are no longer a problem.
Outside of the ageless wonder Sue, a lot of young talent on Seattle, under 30, Howard, Loyd, Stewie, Russell, Canada, Ezi, Tuck, Laska coming next year. They also have Clark, and Whitcomb in their early 30's.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not a UT fan, but it's refreshing to see Mercedes Russell moving more fluidly than she ever did at UT. Hopefully, her knees are no longer a problem.

The Liberty cut her during her rookie year, and the Storm immediateIy picked her up. I wonder if NY would like to have her back. Having won only 2 games this year, they can use help at every position. I’ll bet Russell is ecstatic about being only 3 games away from winning her second WNBA championship. Another example of another door opening after one unexpectedly closes.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The Liberty cut her during her rookie year, and the Storm immediateIy picked her up. I wonder if NY would like to have her back. Having won only 2 games this year, they can use help at every position.

Liberty would probably push Mercedes out to try 3pt shots. :rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I’ll bet Russell is ecstatic about being only 3 games away from winning her first WNBA championship.

Although she had a much smaller role then, she was on the 2018 Storm team.

Reaction Score
MR had the benefit of people in her life that made her more fluid than she ever was at TN. Must have been a teammate, trainer, possibly a coach. Plus being a West Coast gal (Oregon) probably helped.
I think her issues at TN were her feet.

Reaction Score
The Liberty cut her during her rookie year, and the Storm immediateIy picked her up. I wonder if NY would like to have her back. Having won only 2 games this year, they can use help at every position. I’ll bet Russell is ecstatic about being only 3 games away from winning her first WNBA championship. Another example of another door opening after one unexpectedly closes.
Actually she was on the 2018 Storm team. She is a great example of how bad Holly was as a coach. She is a lot quicker and has some shot making ability she didn't have at Tennessee.

Reaction Score
Good call Rixxx, Mercedes did have feet issues, not knee issues, at TN. She is a completely different player for the Storm. I bet Dan saw her potential and worked with her to change her game... so much better.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
with the MR talk spiking, here is her post series presser. Sue, Stewie and MR were the ones giving post game remarks

Pretty ecstatic when asked how does it feel playing with Sue and Stewie

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
MR would inexplicably disappear for large portions of games at TN, which is really hard to do when you’re 6’6”. I simply chalked that up to one of many top-notch coaching jobs by the now retired HW.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
MR is from my mom's home town of Springfield, OR (right next door to Eugene), so now that she's several years removed from Tennessee I can really root for her, in addition to her being a member of the Storm.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom