Stewie may be the best player on the planet...!! | The Boneyard

Stewie may be the best player on the planet...!!

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Stewie vs China 2018.jpg

At the moment, Stewie may (;)) be the best women's basketball player on the planet. Fresh off her MVP season and championship in the WNBA, Stewart dominated the World Cup game against China and added another chapter to her growing legend. With the USA team nursing a slim lead, Stewie took over the game in the 3rd period, scoring 17 of USA's 29 points. She hit both her 3 point attempts, finished with 23 points, tied for the lead with 6 rebounds, blocked 2 shots and dished out 3 assists without a turnover. ;)

Stewart's two-game totals, in narrow victories over Senegal and China, are impressive.
1. Team leading 37 points on 62% shooting.
2. Team lead with 12 rebounds. (tied with Tina Charles)
3. Five assists with 0 turnovers.
4. Three blocked shots and 2 steals.
5. All of this in just 51 minutes of game time.

Sue Bird recently gave her opinion about the main reasons for Seattle's WNBA championship run. In order, she listed four reasons.
1. Stewie
2. Stewie
3. Great team effort.
4. Stewie.

That is good enough for me to call Stewie currently the best player on the planet...:cool:

Go Stewie..!!
Go USA..!!

P.S. - Next game for USA is against Latvia on Tuesday at 1 pm EDT. Latvia has that USF player Laksa on the roster.
P.S.S. - Good lord, how tall is that Chinese player in the picture...?? :eek:
P.S. #3 - Add another MVP for the World Cup to Stewie’s Resume..!!

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
View attachment 34629

At the moment, Stewie may (;)) be the best women's basketball player on the planet. Fresh off her MVP season and championship in the WNBA, Stewart dominated the World Cup game against China and added another chapter to her growing legend. With the USA team nursing a slim lead, Stewie took over the game in the 3rd period, scoring 17 of USA's 29 points. She hit both her 3 point attempts, finished with 23 points, tied for the lead with 6 rebounds, blocked 2 shots and dished out 3 assists without a turnover. ;)

Stewart's two-game totals, in narrow victories over Senegal and China, are impressive.

Sue Bird recently gave her opinion about the main reasons for Seattle's WNBA championship run. In order, she listed four reasons.
1. Stewie
2. Stewie
3. Great team effort.
4. Stewie.

That is good enough for me to call Stewie currently the best player on the planet...:cool:

Go Stewie..!!
Go USA..!!

P.S. - Next game for USA is against Latvia on Tuesday at 1 pm EDT. Latvia has that USF player Laksa on the roster.

I remember a comment that Rebecca Lobo made in reference to Breanna during her freshman year. During a live ESPN TV broadcast, she said that Stewart "looks kinda goofy". Even though it was said with no malice intended, I thought is was inappropriate, unprofessional, denigrating and uncalled for.

I like Rebecca, but that personal observation (that was meant to be cutesy) was not relevant, added nothing to the broadcast, and in no way enlightened the viewers. I wonder if Lobo ever apologized (or thought about apologizing) to Stewart (and her parents) for that unsolicited and unprofessional on-air remark? :oops: I wonder how Lobo would respond if someone were to call one of her daughters "goofy looking" on live national TV?

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And in about 10 years or so, after a few more Olympic gold medals and a bunch of additional WNBA titles & MVP’s, we will have a very spirited discussion on whether Stewie has supplanted DT as the G.O.A.T.

Carnac

Reaction Score
And in about 10 years or so, after a few more Olympic gold medals and a bunch of additional WNBA titles & MVP’s, we will have a very spirited discussion on whether Stewie has supplanted DT as the G.O.A.T.

It will be a very "spirited" debate. Many BY's consider DT's "goat" status UNTOUCHABLE, and carved in stone. At her current pace, in 10 years Stewie just may have the credentials and records to challenge Dee's goat status.

Right now, Dee sits atop the mount on the throne adorned in her cape and crown, holding a 24k gold scepter encrusted with 100+ fine jewels. :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
View attachment 34629

1. Stewie
2. Stewie
3. Great team effort.
4. Stewie.

Go Stewie..!!
Go USA..!!

No tree too tall for Stewie's shot. Great photo. We were so lucky to get the gangly one from North Syracuse.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sue Bird, the authority on these things, says that the WNBA is the best women's league in the world, "by far." Stewie was just the MVP of the best league in the world. That says a lot!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
It will be a very "spirited" debate. Many BY's consider DT's "goat" status UNTOUCHABLE, and cast in stone. At her current pace, in 10 years Stewie just may have the credentials and records to challenge Dee's goat status.

Right now, Dee sits atop the mount on the throne adorned in her cape, crown holding a solid gold scepter encrusted with fine jewels. :cool:

Dee is the reigning queen , but cast in stone? To paraphrase an old standard: In time the Rockies may crumble, Gibraltar may tumble, but Stewie is here to stay.

Reaction Score
I remember a comment that Rebecca Lobo made in reference to Breanna during her freshman year. During a ESPN TV broadcast, she said that Stewart "looked kinda goofy". Even though it was said with no malice intended, I thought is was inappropriate, unprofessional, denigrating and uncalled for.

That personal observation (that was meant to be cutesy) was not relevant, added nothing to the broadcast, and in no way enlightened the viewers. I wonder if Lobo ever apologized to Stewart for that unsolicited and unprofessional on-air remark? :oops:
Ugh..... Who cares? That was 6 years ago. You stated it had no malice behind it... So you are choosing to be offended.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sue said after the Finals that DT is Goat but Stewie is rising and needs time to grow her body of work but.... DT herself would admit nothing is cast in stone. BTW "cast in stone" is one of those odd sayings we all use, but metal is cast, stones are thrown and chiseled.

Reaction Score
I remember a comment that Rebecca Lobo made in reference to Breanna during her freshman year. During a live ESPN TV broadcast, she said that Stewart "looks kinda goofy". Even though it was said with no malice intended, I thought is was inappropriate, unprofessional, denigrating and uncalled for.

I like Rebecca, but that personal observation (that was meant to be cutesy) was not relevant, added nothing to the broadcast, and in no way enlightened the viewers. I wonder if Lobo ever apologized (or thought about apologizing) to Stewart (and her parents) for that unsolicited and unprofessional on-air remark? :oops: I wonder how Lobo would respond if someone were to call one of her daughters "goofy looking" on live TV?
I thought she was goofy looking. And I'm not apologizing, nor do I mean it in any sort of derogatory way. Just think Rebecca's description was very accurate.

Reaction Score
View attachment 34629

1. Stewie
2. Stewie
3. Great team effort.
4. Stewie.

Go Stewie..!!
Go USA..!!

6'9 1/2

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think it is pretty clear (based on discussions over the years) that Rebecca was describing Stewie's general athleticism and coordination and she would need to get way way stronger. Something a 6'5" HOF center is clearly competent to say. But 'goofy' is a word that Rebecca has used in other ways. Hint' When _______ came, she was just a big goofball. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Ugh..... Who cares? That was 6 years ago. You stated it had no malice behind it... So you are choosing to be offended.

Who cares? Her parents, family and friends. It's OK for you to dismiss something of this nature that you think is trivial, because it's not YOUR daughter. If your daughter were the target of a similar comment, would you still take the same cavalier approach?

Any time anyone takes a cheap shot at one of our girls (especially in the media), I'm offended. So yes, I'm choosing to be offended. I'm always offended when people in her position display poor taste and judgment, and direct it at any college student or athlete. One of the first things you learn in broadcasting is to watch what you say into a live microphone, it could come back to haunt you.

The Pat Summitt/Tennessee incident happened 11 years ago, yet bad blood between the two fan bases still exists. Time has not healed that wound. That this happened 6 years ago is irrelevant, it happened.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
View attachment 34629

1. Stewie
2. Stewie
3. Great team effort.
4. Stewie.

Go Stewie..!!
Go USA..!!

Just as the G.O.A.T. is not to be confused with a barnyard animal, Stewie is the G.O.R.N. (greatest of right now), not to be confused with the Star Trek version:

Gorn.jpg

:p

Carnac

Reaction Score
I thought she was goofy looking. And I'm not apologizing, nor do I mean it in any sort of derogatory way. Just think Rebecca's description was very accurate.

Thats your opinion. No one is asking you to apologize. It's accuracy is not the issue. To express that personal opinion into a live microphone on national TV to millions of people (including young and impressionable teens) is something completely different.

Media broadcasters are held to a totally different standard. When they are broadcasting news and information, they reach millions of viewers, in some cases across the entire country. Not just whoever is in earshot of you when you speak. I maintain it was not a big deal, but will always maintain that it was inappropriate. It was a personal observation that no one profited from.

Reaction Score
Thats your opinion. No one is asking you to apologize. It's accuracy is not the issue. To express that personal opinion on national TV to millions of people (including young and impressionable teens) is something completely different. Media broadcasters are held to a different standard when they are broadcasting news and information to millions of viewers. I maintain it was not a big deal, but it was inappropriate.
I don't think it was a cheap shot, or inappropriate - just descriptive, not in a negative way. Whatever - like you said, not a big deal.

Reaction Score
Why is it that someone as great as Diana Tourasi is considered better than Cynthia Cooper who won 4 straight WNBA titles before retiring and has a higher regular season and playoff scoring average, better assist average, two regular season MVPs and four straight finals MVPs. Taurasi has a longer WNBA career but in 14 years hasn't achieved as many championships as Cooper won in her first four years. Cooper entered the WNBA at the age of 34 after leading the overseas league in scoring in 8 out of 11 years. Cooper entered the WNBA as the oldest player in the league and yet still totally dominated. If Cooper had entered the WNBA at the age when Taurasi entered, her numbers most likely would have made Taurasi's numbers look like chopped liver. I am strong UCONN fan but I value more a player who's specialty is winning championships. Taurasi's impact on winning championships does not remotely compare to Cooper despite having great players around you. If you have the so called GOAT along with great players, you should win more than 3 out of 14. In my book winning counts more. She compares favorably against any other player but compared to Cooper she does not stack up. If you believe Taurasi is better, please tell me one thing that she could do for her team that Cooper did not produce for her team.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Just as the G.O.A.T. is not to be confused with a barnyard animal, Stewie is the G.O.R.N. (greatest of right now), not to be confused with the Star Trek version:

View attachment 34638

:p
I loved that episode. A great lesson that could serve us well now. Kirk actually grew up

Reaction Score

I like Rebecca, but that personal observation (that was meant to be cutesy) was not relevant, added nothing to the broadcast, and in no way enlightened the viewers. I wonder if Lobo ever apologized (or thought about apologizing) to Stewart (and her parents) for that unsolicited and unprofessional on-air remark? :oops: I wonder how Lobo would respond if someone were to call one of her daughters "goofy looking" on live TV?

I don't believe that was Lobo who said that (at least I hope it wasn't). I believe it was another female in-game announcer. I do remember that I could not believe she actually said that! I wonder if she ever got flack from management for it?

Reaction Score

I can’t believe you’re dragging this up all these years later. Nothing better to do?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why is it that someone as great as Diana Tourasi is considered better than Cynthia Cooper who won 4 straight WNBA titles before retiring and has a higher regular season and playoff scoring average, better assist average, two regular season MVPs and four straight finals MVPs. Taurasi has a longer WNBA career but in 14 years hasn't achieved as many championships as Cooper won in her first four years. Cooper entered the WNBA at the age of 34 after leading the overseas league in scoring in 8 out of 11 years. Cooper entered the WNBA as the oldest player in the league and yet still totally dominated. If Cooper had entered the WNBA at the age when Taurasi entered, her numbers most likely would have made Taurasi's numbers look like chopped liver. I am strong UCONN fan but I value more a player who's specialty is winning championships. Taurasi's impact on winning championships does not remotely compare to Cooper despite having great players around you. If you have the so called GOAT along with great players, you should win more than 3 out of 14. In my book winning counts more. She compares favorably against any other player but compared to Cooper she does not stack up. If you believe Taurasi is better, please tell me one thing that she could do for her team that Cooper did not produce for her team.
Cooper was a great player, but let’s start with college. Cooper was a very good college player but DT was a much better college player than Cooper. DT’s stats, as well as her last 2 of 3 NCAA championships, where she had an average supporting cast, get my vote, as well as Geno’s.

As for the pros, it’s really impossible to compare Cooper’s 5 year career in the W with DT’s 14 years. Cooper’s game really developed overseas. By the time she finally got to the W, she was a veteran player and didn’t have to experience the rookie learning curve.

As for championships, the last time I checked, they award championship trophies to teams, not individuals.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom