Stewie Leads the UConn Parade | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stewie Leads the UConn Parade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Stewie will certainly become an all time WNBA great in time, but I don't know if she's a game changer just yet. Seattle is only 6-12!

Reaction Score
Who are your starters? I assume we'd all have Maya, DT, and Stewie. Who are the other two?
Tina and Sue, yes, but lots of minutes for Tiffany Hayes with Diana moving over to the point.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Stewie will certainly become an all time WNBA great in time, but I don't know if she's a game changer just yet. Seattle is only 6-12!

I agree, but she will be a game changer once she develops as a pro. It takes more than points and rebounds. Defensively, she has the tools, but will need to learn how to be effective at this level.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I would swear Stewie has put on 3-5 lbs lately. Looks more solid.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
WNBA All Star Game idea: UCONN against the field. I'd bet UCONN.

Especially if Geno and his staff could be their coaches for the game. It would be like old times. :p

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
They are having mediocre seasons, although playing alright within Coach T's system. Stef's points are down by a couple of points per game. She is not the force she was a year ago. And Bria is not seizing the moment as I hoped she would. Perhaps she'll break out at some point and be the kind of star player she looked like she was going to be when she was a freshman and sophomore at UConn and which her college career statistics would suggest. But, they are not doing bad, just not performing outstandingly.
Bria's career is sort of following Renee's pattern - they both came out of college as highly touted PG/combo guards having been first team AAs and NC winners and drafted in the first round. And in their early pro careers they both performed adequately, but without great distinction. They have neither been 'on the bubble' for their teams, but they have also neither produced well enough to lock down starting positions. Bria specifically has had some injuries to contend with which hasn't helped, but she has time.

Part of the issue I think is that the pro leagues are more tilted toward one on one play and their college game was more dependent on team concepts in which they excelled. And they were neither high percentage shooters in college - Renee: .422/.339, and Bria: .453/.350 - that compares to Sue: .481/.459, and Moriah: .547/.414.

Renee has found a perfect situation in MN with a defined role and is playing some of her best pro ball. (I think had she not been traded from Seattle to MN last year she might be a star reserve there as well - Seattle could sure use her this year in a similar role of backing up a USA PG.) I am hopeful that Bria will find the same type of role - I think Washington is good team for her.

Reaction Score
It would be remarkable for any other school, but at UConn it seems to be the norm! Of course Morgan also played in 2014 at some point but not during the final four.

Here is a list of the total WNBA players that played during that year (at any point) on each team from 2001-2014. (due to injury some might not of played in the final four, etc)

2001 - 8
2002 - 7
2003 - 6
2004 - 6
2005 - 7
2006 - 7
2007 - 5
2008 - 6
2009 - 5
2010 - 5
2011 - 5
2012 - 6
2013 - 8
2014 - 7

As you can see the lowest number of WNBA players in any of these years is 5!
2001 had TASS, Diana, Kelly Schumacher, Svet and Ashley Battle! Also note that Shea would of played except for her injury!

Note that the '05 and '06 teams both had 7 future pros (granted not the top players).
This just reminds us of how incredible the program is, like we needed to be reminded!

I wonder what a comparable list looks like for other top programs. I'm guessing it looks much more sparse. This speaks to the level of preparation recruits can anticipate when considering UConn.

Reaction Score

Seattle's got multiple problems, but for the most part it isn't the starters. Their bench really has not been pulling much weight for most of the season. That said, everyone could use some improvement in rebounding. As a team they are a horror show at that.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Seattle's got multiple problems, but for the most part it isn't the starters. Their bench really has not been pulling much weight for most of the season. That said, everyone could use some improvement in rebounding. As a team they are a horror show at that.
They really need a center - Stewart is generally playing center because she is a better defender than Langhorn, but she is constantly being physically overmatched and taking a pounding - put her at the three and have Clark coming off the bench with a center like Williams and they would be a seriously tough team to match up with.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
They really need a center - Stewart is generally playing center because she is a better defender than Langhorn, but she is constantly being physically overmatched and taking a pounding - put her at the three and have Clark coming off the bench with a center like Williams and they would be a seriously tough team to match up with.
Absolutely the problem IS their starters. Stewie is clearly playing out of position. But even a center like Williams is not enough if some of the scoring isn't off loaded to someone else up front. As the team stands Seattle has few options, and few is not enough.

Reaction Score
Stewie has Kiah figured out now. Multiple fakes and moves to her Kiah from blocking her shot.

Stewie has EVERYONE figured out! She's as amazing as anyone in the pro game right now. I'm shocked at how quickly she's come to dominate the pros.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stewie has EVERYONE figured out! She's as amazing as anyone in the pro game right now. I'm shocked at how quickly she's come to dominate the pros.
She has the smartest player in the league as her personal tutor.

Sue+Bird+Seattle+Storm+v+Phoenix+Mercury+wCBJqcCNAd6l.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS