Stewie for NPOY??? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stewie for NPOY???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
FWIW, we have yet to see this press, and probably won't this year, but could you envision a 1-3-1 with Stewart at the top, Banks,MoJeff, and Chong in the middle,and Kiah at the back?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
FWIW, we have yet to see this press, and probably won't this year, but could you envision a 1-3-1 with Stewart at the top, Banks,MoJeff, and Chong in the middle,and Kiah at the back?

DriveLH...Thanks for that...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This is all true, but let's bear in mind that she has not yet really demonstrated that she can be as consistent from one game to the next (or from one half to the next) as Maya, in particular. Odyssey and Chiney, as seniors, may have an advantage in that department. Her top-level performances are other-worldly, as was demonstrated today and in the Final Four last year, but she is prone to taking walkabouts every now and then (somewhat like Tina, who has not been prone to that in her pro career).

None of us were prone to up-and-down performance as college sophomores, were we?

Not me. I consistently drank more than I should have and was always trying to raise the bar.

Reaction Score
I think that it depends on whether the voters are thinking they are voting for the BEST player, or the MOST VALUABLE player. Best player, so far, has been Stewie, but the Most Valuable, to their respective teams, is a tossup between Odyssey and Chiney...JMO...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't see how she isn't. She is the only player in WCBB that can score when she has to and from anywhere. She is the most dominate player in WCBB. Lets make it easy if all the players in WCBB were to be drafted by the WNBA who wouldn't take Breanna first??????

I think that it depends on whether the voters are thinking they are voting for the BEST player, or the MOST VALUABLE player. Best player, so far, has been Stewie, but the Most Valuable, to their respective teams, is a tossup between Odyssey and Chiney...JMO...

That's why Lindsey Harding was able to win NPOY over Candace Parker (with some injuries iirc).

The fact that there is two seniors blowing it up, and with Stewie still a soph, may sway voters. And the fact that she plays with by far and away the best 'supporting cast' as well. (It feels wrong to say 'supporting cast'.)

My call right now is Sims, but we'll see. Hopefully Stewie pulls it out.

Reaction Score
Stewie doesn't care about individual awards, only team championships. If you notice whenever someone asks about what a game great she had, she always manages to get back to, it was a great team win. She almost never uses I, instead uses we, unless it was something she didn't do well, or something specific Geno said she wasn't doing. Case in point was Geno said she almost never posted up, and she did in the Cal game. If Stewie never wins player of the year, and UConn wins 4 National Championships, she'll be more then happy, as long as she played well.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As I see it this is not a relativistic award. The NPOY is not a "who was most valuable to her team in their situation" award. It is an award that asks: If you were building a team, who among these candidates would you pick?" If I am right, then it is Stewie's to win at this point. I would not be surprised to see a dark horse come along - neither Simms nor CO.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
As I see it this is not a relativistic award. The NPOY is not a "who was most valuable to her team in their situation" award. It is an award that asks: If you were building a team, who among these candidates would you pick?" If I am right, then it is Stewie's to win at this point. I would not be surprised to see a dark horse come along - neither Simms nor CO.

But what do the voters think? That's what matters. I'm sure it changes year to year.

UCONN (and Stewie) being in the spotlight only helps her cause though.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
But what do the voters think? That's what matters. I'm sure it changes year to year.

UCONN (and Stewie) being in the spotlight only helps her cause though.
Well, some are saying Stewie would be the #1 pick in the WNBA draft even, so that may answer the question about who you'd want to build a team around.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMHO how this week's ESPNW POW went to Chiney is a possible indicator on how the vote for NPOY will go. Chiney will get plenty of votes for being Standford's go to player and some won't vote for Stewie because UConn's loaded with talent.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Didn't work for Baylor with Sims and BG.

...The best thing about Geno, and CD is they will not allow a player to cheat themselves in developing their talent.

Stewie doesn't care about individual awards, only team championships. If you notice whenever someone asks about what a game great she had, she always manages to get back to, it was a great team win. She almost never uses I, instead uses we, unless it was something she didn't do well, or something specific Geno said she wasn't doing...

And therein lies the differences - at UConn you work hard - play smart - have fun.
You become the best you can be and you do not cheat your talent, and at the end of the day, it is all about team. I got the feeling that at Baylor it was not always harmonious. I got the feeling that these last few years, it was all about Brittany, and Sims efforts got lost in all the hoopla. I believe that Mulkey let that happen, too. Griner was her star, and the rest of the team? Now Griner is gone, and Kim is very quiet.

Very, very quiet.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Well, some are saying Stewie would be the #1 pick in the WNBA draft even, so that may answer the question about who you'd want to build a team around.

If I'm building a team, I'm taking Stewart without question over Sims and Chiney. That's a no brainer. But I would have taken Parker over Lindsey Harding too. I know what the ESPN writers think, but it's hard to say when you look all over the country.

Reaction Score
Remember,in 2004 Alanna Beard was POY because she had "better numbers" than DT. Guess who won the NC!
BTW, while Chiney has more points and rebounds than Stewie, Stewie has more blocks, more assists and fewer Turnovers than Chiney.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
DriveLH said:

I've always liked the thought of the 1-3-1 for this team, but with Stewie in the middle of the zone. Mo at the top. Kiah or Stef on the baseline.( Kiah probably best suited for that job. ). But Geno plays zone only sporadically and must stick with the one they already know which is their 2-3.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
On the full court pressure I believe Stewart will be in that central position at the time line - that was what happened last year. With her long arms and speed it makes the 'get it to the middle and pass over the top' a choice fraught with danger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom