Stewie decides to stay in Europe....for the WC.... | The Boneyard

Stewie decides to stay in Europe....for the WC....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
stewie vs aussie.jpg

Breanna Stewart has decided she wants to stay in Europe this month and play for Team USA at the FIBA World Championship in Turkey. Of course, the group picking the team still has to agree, but Stewie made her case pure and simple. Today, against Australia, in a scrimmage won 72-66 by USA, she played 13 1/2 minutes and led the team in scoring w/ 9 pts, grabbed 5 rebounds, including 3 offensive and blocked 2 shots (of the 4 by USA). Her first shot, after coming into the game as a substitute, was a perfect 3 point basket. She finished 4-8 (50%) from the field, including the 1-1 from 3 pt range.

Also making a strong case was Nneka Ogwumike, who finished w/ 7 points in just over 13 minutes of action, along w/ 6 rebounds and 2 assists. The other Team USA rookies, Diggins, Sims, Dolson, and Lavendar played hard, but were less impressive. Two more scrimmages in the next two days will determine who makes the team. Then it is off to Turkey for a defense of the Gold Medal.

Team USA opened today's game w/ a starting lineup of 4 former UConn players (Bird, Maya, Taurasi, Charles) and Candace Dupree. As will probably be the case in the real tournament, players like Stewie and Nneka will come off the bench, w/ fresh legs, high energy and lots to prove. Should be awesome to watch..!! ;)

Go Stewie..!!

P.S.- Thanks to RadyLady for a play by play of today's scrimmage.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
What about her studies...is she enrolled for classes this semester?

Forgive me for not knowing.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
All those silly posts about how Stewie might make the team IF/BUT, etc., can now be properly filed. She's ON the team because she is one of the twelve best players. Period.

Ditto Nneka.

As for the others, it now seems that one of Dolson/Lavender (that's if Griner can't play) will make it and one of Sims/McBride/Diggins will, too.

And Geno will surely limit Griner vs. the cupcakes.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

As noted above, yes, she's doing her "thang" and taking courses from afar, as is Kia Nurse.

Reaction Score

Yes, she is enrolled in classes this fall but that shouldn't pose much of a problem though. Stewart will just have to work with her academic adviser and professors and do most of her work online. It wasn't a problem for Nurse who plays for team Canada so I don't think it will be a problem for Stewart.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Stewie even said her academic advisor came down to Bridgeport and they had a meeting so she could stay on track with her studies. And Maya reminds her to do her homework and not get behind.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
With EDD out, even I have to say Stewart will make the team and she should. Nneka is also a lock to make the team. I'm not convinced that you have to take Stef or Lavender if Griner does not play. They haven't shown much other then play minutes.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
All those silly posts about how Stewie might make the team IF/BUT, etc., can now be properly filed. She's ON the team because she is one of the twelve best players. Period.

Ditto Nneka.

As for the others, it now seems that one of Dolson/Lavender (that's if Griner can't play) will make it and one of Sims/McBride/Diggins will, too.

And Geno will surely limit Griner vs. the cupcakes.
Well ... most of those silly posts started when Parker was presumed to be available as well as Fowles and EDD. If those 3 players were on the team, and if they were healthy I am pretty sure they would be, then it is no longer obvious she is one of the 12 best available. Add in BG not having an eye issue and you would have to remove 7 players from the current squad.
Obviously:
Dolson, Lavender, and likely Dupree, plus two of the three young guards gets you to 5. Two more - who do you cut? Drop Parker and the young guard? Maybe, but it more likely comes down to one of Nneka and Stewart being dropped, or both.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Stewie would have one distinct advantage over EDD. She has successfully endured two full seasons of Geno's demanding practices and EDD has not.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Hate to even slightly disagree Kib, but if Elena was available, she'd be on the squad.

As a pure scorer at her size, she has few peers in the game (at least on the woman's side)
and though Stewie is more athletic and has a more well-rounded game,
Elena is right up there with Diana and Griner as one of the most unique personages on view.

Reaction Score
I don't see how you can cut Stewie. She's proven to be a fast study, has played in Geno's system for two years now, not to mention being physically gifted in a way that enables her to do things no one else can. Go Stewie!!!!

Reaction Score
Hate to even slightly disagree Kib, but if Elena was available, she'd be on the squad.

As a pure scorer at her size, she has few peers in the game (at least on the woman's side)
and though Stewie is more athletic and has a more well-rounded game,
Elena is right up there with Diana and Griner as one of the most unique personages on view.

Well Stewie is also one of the most unique personages.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Maya did her studies previously when on the road with the team so she is fully aware of the demands and process. She will be a big help to Stewie.

Reaction Score
It will be a mental break from BB for Stewie.....We could see 5 UCONN players playing together and maybe, starting in Turkey...Depending on match ups and or injuries.........GO USA!!!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Well Stewie is also one of the most unique personages.

One of the videos available from the linked video is entitled "Geno Auriemma:Breanna Stewart." It's a six minute testimony to Breanna's greatness. Includes comments by teammates, film clips of practices, etc.

Yet another video I linked was the YouTube of Queen performing "We Will Rock You!" and (seems so suitable, linked to Stewie and Geno) their inimitable "We Are the Champions!" I never tire of playing it when UConn wins another trophy. Great rendition.

There is an unfortunate downside to it. Hearing Freddie Mercury sing, "We'll keep on fighting 'til the end," one is reminded that he had AIDS and died young.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One of the videos available from the linked video is entitled "Geno Auriemma:Breanna Stewart." It's a six minute testimony to Breanna's greatness. Includes comments by teammates, film clips of practices, etc.

Yet another video I linked was the YouTube of Queen performing "We Will Rock You!" and (seems so suitable, linked to Stewie and Geno) their inimitable "We Are the Champions!" I never tire of playing it when UConn wins another trophy. Great rendition.

There is an unfortunate downside to it. Hearing Freddie Mercury sing, "We'll keep on fighting 'til the end," one is reminded that he had AIDS and died young.
Thanks for pointing me toward that SNY segment. It reminds me how lucky we are to have SNY involved in covering this team, and how lucky we were to have CPTV discover covering WCBB as a impressive revenue stream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom