Stewie and Kaleena on SportsCenter at 10:40 | The Boneyard

Stewie and Kaleena on SportsCenter at 10:40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First of all, I really like Kevin Negandhi. He truly seems to enjoy covering WBB- an attitude many of the male sportscaster do not seem to share.

Both Stewie and K looked great in their warm ups and Kevin even had Stewie stand up and compare her wingspan with his.

Kaleena said what most stood out about last years run to the championship was the way they played as a team and how they overcame injury, illness, etc to win. Kevin asked if it was surprising to see Geno cry after the game and Stewie said they "kinda forgot about it" because they were so excited about winning. Lol. Stewie also said that she realized how good it is that Geno is so hard on her because it means he wants her to be the best player in the country but it did take a little while for her to understand that this was the reason he was being so hard on her.

Probably the funniest part was when Kevin asked K what the best part about playing for Geno is and she had a hard time coming up with an answer, so Stewie whispered "intensity." K agreed and said he's intense about everything from what wine he's going to drink to the food he's going to eat to the way they play basketball.

K also said she does think about going #1 in the draft but she's trying to focus on the present however, she is excited to take the next step. Stewie talked about playing in Turkey and said playing with the best players in the world was great and she is trying to take what she learned back to her teammates. She also said she found some Skittles (apparently her favorite candy).

Finally, they talked about how the coaches do a great job of making them understand the significance of the players who came before them- DT, SB, RL- and they do their best to live up to the standard that has been set.

That's it folks!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
K is a sly wit with a great poker face, but sometimes she does just go blank. I don't know which was going on for the Geno question. It was sorta like AAC media day all over again when she was asked to say something about the conference and there was this long pause as she looked into her metaphorical file cabinet(with a not so poker, you gotta be kidding me face) and she ended up saying something about the new teams. K is like Geno: she doesn't suffer fools gladly. One of her more endearing qualities, which sometimes manifests itself on the court as pure aggression and we saw a lot of that in the NCAAs last year - like when she ripped the ball away from Reimer late in the contest.

Reaction Score
UT just filed a complaint against Geno for discussing alcoholic beverages with underage players.
Beat me to it, though I would have thought the violation would be because of UConn's competitive advantage gained through excessive media exposure.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
It appears that the two players were in two separate segments. One was at 10:40 est and another at 11:45 or so, right? I saw only the second. TBS and KML did a very good job of representing themselves and the program.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I am perpetually amazed at the combination of confidence, maturity and wisdom displayed by Kaleena and Stewie during this seemingly endless round of interviews. Some public figures should take note.

Reaction Score
Very entertaining and they show a lot of trust in Geno that they can talk this way about him. I wish some prospective recruits could see these.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
wbbfan1 - thanks for posting the video! Great!
Sonny44 - agree completely about the trust and strength of personal relationship away from the gym. And the recognition of the difference between the two. In practice, in games, it is tyranny, but as soon as the game is over, everyone on the team, not just the superstars have a relaxed and 'Philly' kind of needling humor about themselves and the coaches.
I can only vaguely remember a few times where Geno sort of pulled the reins on a player who crossed a 'decency' sort of line in comments - a teaching moment that did not appear to linger.
The depth of the relationships shows in the attendance at final fours from former players, the return visits, the rehab stints in CT, etc. It doesn't work for everyone, but it seems to work for almost everyone.

Reaction Score
wbbfan1 - thanks for posting the video! Great!
Sonny44 - agree completely about the trust and strength of personal relationship away from the gym. And the recognition of the difference between the two. In practice, in games, it is tyranny, but as soon as the game is over, everyone on the team, not just the superstars have a relaxed and 'Philly' kind of needling humor about themselves and the coaches.
I can only vaguely remember a few times where Geno sort of pulled the reins on a player who crossed a 'decency' sort of line in comments - a teaching moment that did not appear to linger.
The depth of the relationships shows in the attendance at final fours from former players, the return visits, the rehab stints in CT, etc. It doesn't work for everyone, but it seems to work for almost everyone.

UcM: VERY well said in entirety. Same to SONNY and "Thank you" to WBB for the link to these three videos, the first of which, especially, is very humorous and should not be missed.....all three good, interesting and entertaining.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
RockyMTblue2 said:
K is a sly wit with a great poker face, but sometimes she does just go blank. I don't know which was going on for the Geno question. It was sorta like AAC media day all over again when she was asked to say something about the conference and there was this long pause as she looked into her metaphorical file cabinet(with a not so poker, you gotta be kidding me face) and she ended up saying something about the new teams. K is like Geno: she doesn't suffer fools gladly. One of her more endearing qualities, which sometimes manifests itself on the court as pure aggression and we saw a lot of that in the NCAAs last year - like when she ripped the ball away from Reimer late in the contest.

ponder this: she may know exactly what she wants to say but protocol forbids her from saying it.

Reaction Score
After listening to Stewie and KML, I am reminded how special the UCONN women BB players are. Articulate, personable, and comfortable in representing their university. Geno not only recruits well, I believe he and his staff work with the women to prepare them to be outstanding citizens. Contrast these two women with interviews from some of the other top programs! The difference is startling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom