Stewie and Jewell's All-Decade Women's College Hoops Team | The Boneyard

Stewie and Jewell's All-Decade Women's College Hoops Team

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Fun interaction, but that's about all it can be summed up as since it really doesn't appear to be all that thought out and picks appear to be somewhat made on the fly. Lots of great players overlooked like Ogunbowale, Jefferson, Chiney, Plum, Sims, etc.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Fun interaction, but that's about all it can be summed up as since it really doesn't appear to be all that thought out and picks appear to be somewhat made on the fly. Lots of great players overlooked like Ogunbowale, Jefferson, Chiney, Plum, Sims, etc.
Even on the fly though, how does Stewie overlook her own teammate in MoJeff? Jewell wasn't shy about throwing out ND names that she played with. Kmac might have been legit but Natalie Achonwa? :eek: Child PlUEESE!

Position
1st Team
2nd team
3rd Team
PG
Moriah JeffersonSkylar DigginsOdyssey Sims
SG
Sabrina IonescuKelsey MitchellKelsey Plum
SF
Maya MooreElena Delle DonneAlyssa Thomas
PF
Breanna StewartChiney Ogwumike A’Ja Wilson
C
Brittney GrinerTina CharlesStefanie Dolson

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Even on the fly though, how does Stewie overlook her own teammate in MoJeff? Jewell wasn't shy about throwing out ND names that she played with. Kmac might have been legit but Natalie Achonwa? :eek: Child PlUEESE!

Position
1st Team
2nd team
3rd Team
PG
SG
SF
PF
Breanna StewartChiney Ogwumike A’Ja Wilson
C

Definitely would put Wilson over Chiney and Plum is ahead of Mitchell by almost any measure.

I personally hate when G/G/F/F/C format with any All American or All-WNBA teams utilize since forwards are by far the strongest position in the women's game and we often times see legitimate MVP candidates fall to 2nd team or not even make a team due to there being an overload at their position. I think the 5 best should be one first team, 6-10 best on 2nd, etc.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Even if Moriah doesn't make the first team, how about Shoni Shimmel over Moriah for 2nd team? What kind of prism are they looking through to say that?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Instead of attacking the list which is so easy, I am looking at some interesting blurbs

BRITTNEY GRINER
Stewie
Next one I’m picking is BG. She was a senior when I was a freshman, and we played Baylor at XL. I will never forget that game because, first of all, I played like s***. I played like eight minutes, and I had a donut. But she was just dominant.

KALEENA MOSQUEDA-LEWIS
Jewell
O.K., next I’m gonna go with … KML. She was an assassin in college. It was the worst trying to guard her. She might as well just run down the court — just cash every time. All the drills we had to do about closeouts and making sure we knew where Kaleena was on the floor at all times was so annoying. But, yeah, she could shoot. And the look.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Where in the name of Coach Jumper are all the Tennessee players! I mean come on mannnnnn!!!

2010-2019. Pretty Barren after Candace Parker I think

Reaction Score
Why Stewie is not in the list if this is for 2010–2019. Don't be shy, Stewie you will be my first name in the list.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Why Stewie is not in the list if this is for 2010–2019. Don't be shy, Stewie you will be my first name in the list.

Jewell and Stewie said they are picking assuming they are already on the team

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Instead of attacking the list which is so easy, I am looking at some interesting blurbs

BRITTNEY GRINER
Stewie
Next one I’m picking is BG. She was a senior when I was a freshman, and we played Baylor at XL. I will never forget that game because, first of all, I played like s***. I played like eight minutes, and I had a donut. But she was just dominant.

KALEENA MOSQUEDA-LEWIS
Jewell
O.K., next I’m gonna go with … KML. She was an assassin in college. It was the worst trying to guard her. She might as well just run down the court — just cash every time. All the drills we had to do about closeouts and making sure we knew where Kaleena was on the floor at all times was so annoying. But, yeah, she could shoot. And the look.

This is precisely what I did in my comments on The Bench and will do here with a few of the picks (yes, they will be mostly Domers. Whad did you expect :D :rolleyes: ?

First though, obviously Stewie and Jewell did this pretty much on the fly. Second, they picked whom they knew and it centered -- primarily -- on players in/around their time (save for feeling they had to get some "newbies" in.) And, for sure, the WNBA experiences seem to have an effect on their "retro-grading."

That said, some of my fave quotes:

SKYLAR DIGGINS-SMITH
Stewie
"...when we were playing against Notre Dame, for you guys, she seemed like the head of the snake almost, with her intensity and leadership and maturity.

"Also, she was just tough. She was always intense. And another thing is, she brought a different set of eyes, or brought more attention to women’s basketball — helped us bring things up to another level, and I appreciate how she embraced that opportunity."

Jewell
"Yeah, I think you’re right on. She was definitely the head of the snake for us. She held everyone to a very high standard, and she made sure that everyone was super accountable. With Skylar, you didn’t have time to make complaints or say, “Well, I’m just a freshman,” or whatnot."

KAYLA McBRIDE
Stewie:

"I’m picking K-Mac because … I think I just have PTSD from Notre Dame lol. And she’s been part of that team, and she’s reerally hard to guard. Her midrange, her one-dribble pull-up. She has it down in the WNBA, and it was her favorite thing to do in college. Her name has just continued to grow. But, I mean, between her and Skylar and YOU, it was tough. It was tough."

Dillon's Druthers: Fun to hear Stewie's insights into individual players througout, but you can tell she's got K-Mac's game down cold.

NATALIE ACHONWA
Jewell:

"...playing with her was amazing at Notre Dame. For us she was just really a point guard almost, especially when we played our Princeton offense, which she loved doing. She was just a great passer, 15-foot jump shot, very vocal. I loved playing with her. And I’m glad she’s been able to have a great career in the league after her knee injury at Notre Dame."

Dillon's druthers: I wanted to put this on The Boneyard because as long as ND employs some form of the Princeton offense, the coaches are going to look for someone who can do the things Jewell describes Ace doing at ND. She was who ND fans were looking for in forwards. Kat Westbeld wasn't everything Ace was, but she could pass, shoot the J and was a quiet(er) leader. When Jess Shepard wasn't pounding people down low, she was superb from the elbow in. And -- knock on wood -- we're hoping Maddy Westbeld will bring some of these attributes as well.

A'JA WILSON
Stewie

"A’ja was one that stayed home, playing at South Carolina. I think she really continued to develop a lot as she went on, from where she started as a freshman to where she finished as a senior — winning a national championship. ...I know from when we played against her a few times, at South Carolina and in Gampel, she’s hard to guard, especially being a lefty and having her shot be so high. It messes you up on where you think you’re supposed to contest it, and where you should contest it."

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This is precisely what I did in my comments on The Bench and will do here with a few of the picks (yes, they will be mostly Domers. Whad did you expect :D :rolleyes: ?

First though, obviously Stewie and Jewell did this pretty much on the fly. Second, they picked whom they knew and it centered -- primarily -- on players in/around their time (save for feeling they had to get some "newbies" in.) And, for sure, the WNBA experiences seem to have an effect on their "retro-grading."

That said, some of my fave quotes:

SKYLAR DIGGINS-SMITH
Stewie
"...when we were playing against Notre Dame, for you guys, she seemed like the head of the snake almost, with her intensity and leadership and maturity.

"Also, she was just tough. She was always intense. And another thing is, she brought a different set of eyes, or brought more attention to women’s basketball — helped us bring things up to another level, and I appreciate how she embraced that opportunity."

Jewell
"Yeah, I think you’re right on. She was definitely the head of the snake for us. She held everyone to a very high standard, and she made sure that everyone was super accountable. With Skylar, you didn’t have time to make complaints or say, “Well, I’m just a freshman,” or whatnot."

KAYLA McBRIDE
Stewie:

"I’m picking K-Mac because … I think I just have PTSD from Notre Dame lol. And she’s been part of that team, and she’s reerally hard to guard. Her midrange, her one-dribble pull-up. She has it down in the WNBA, and it was her favorite thing to do in college. Her name has just continued to grow. But, I mean, between her and Skylar and YOU, it was tough. It was tough."

Dillon's Druthers: Fun to hear Stewie's insights into individual players througout, but you can tell she's got K-Mac's game down cold.

NATALIE ACHONWA
Jewell:

"...playing with her was amazing at Notre Dame. For us she was just really a point guard almost, especially when we played our Princeton offense, which she loved doing. She was just a great passer, 15-foot jump shot, very vocal. I loved playing with her. And I’m glad she’s been able to have a great career in the league after her knee injury at Notre Dame."

Dillon's druthers: I wanted to put this on The Boneyard because as long as ND employs some form of the Princeton offense, the coaches are going to look for someone who can do the things Jewell describes Ace doing at ND. She was who ND fans were looking for in forwards. Kat Westbeld wasn't everything Ace was, but she could pass, shoot the J and was a quiet(er) leader. When Jess Shepard wasn't pounding people down low, she was superb from the elbow in. And -- knock on wood -- we're hoping Maddy Westbeld will bring some of these attributes as well.

A'JA WILSON
Stewie

"A’ja was one that stayed home, playing at South Carolina. I think she really continued to develop a lot as she went on, from where she started as a freshman to where she finished as a senior — winning a national championship. ...I know from when we played against her a few times, at South Carolina and in Gampel, she’s hard to guard, especially being a lefty and having her shot be so high. It messes you up on where you think you’re supposed to contest it, and where you should contest it."

Alot of Similarities between Dolson and Achonwa (but I would give Dolson the edge (especially in College)) What did you expect? ;)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Alot of Similarities between Dolson and Achonwa (but I would give Dolson the edge (especially in College)) What did you expect? ;)

Hmm. I'll have to think about that one...suffice to say, both Dolson and Ace brought a lot to their respective teams. However, its' time to start weekend cocktails with my wife..... :rolleyes: We'll keep that one for another day.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Chiney was the all time leading pac 12 scorer and rebounder before Plum broke her scoring record if I remember correctly. No way she’s off this list and she’s not even an alternate.

I’d replace Vandersloot and Diggins with Sims and Jefferson. I’d even put Arike before Jewell or Skylar. She is Notre Dame’s all time leading scorer and she did win a championship on a team with 6 players.

You can’t ever name an accomplishment list without mentioning Dolson before Anchonwa.

I’d go with Morgan Tuck before I go Sabally. Or Lauren Cox or Kalani Brown— ladies who have won a championship.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Jewell as team captain is pretty funny because I'm not sure she cracks my top 3 Notre Dame guards of the decade (Skylar, Arike, McBride).

Overall, the team skews heavily towards the era Stewie and Jewell played in, unsurprisingly.

But then they do manage one pick of extreme recency bias in Sabally.

Someone (maybe @nwhoopfan) can dispute me on this, but I feel like it was only last season that Sabally became the most talked about non-Ionescu Duck. It feels like for most of their careers, there was more buzz around Hebard.

Now let's see Napheesa and Arike's all decade team so that we can have one that's heavily skewed towards the last half of the decade!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Position
1st Team
2nd team
3rd Team
PG
SG
SF
PF
Breanna StewartChiney OgwumikeA’Ja Wilson
C

The only ND name Jewell threw out was Achonwa. Stewie picked both Skylar and KMac.

Achonwa is also the only ND player about whom I can imagine Jewell offering unsolicited praise.

I like your list except for Kelsey Mitchell. Scored alot but her Ohio State teams were pushovers when it counted. I'd move Plum up to 2nd team and then sneak Arike on as the 3rd team SG.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Someone (maybe @nwhoopfan) can dispute me on this, but I feel like it was only last season that Sabally became the most talked about non-Ionescu Duck. It feels like for most of their careers, there was more buzz around Hebard.

Don't need to dispute it, I think that's fair enough. Sabally's importance to the team really elevated during her Soph year but it probably wasn't til her final season that the pundits really took notice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom