Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
4 games. 1 assist.

Not per game. TOTAL.

What's up with that??

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
You'd think in 4 games she would have more than 1 assist just by accident.

She is a terrific passer. I don't expect this drought to continue.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
You'd think in 4 games she would have more than 1 assist just by accident.

She is a terrific passer. I don't expect this drought to continue.

I agree. I think Dolson likes the high post, so Dolson to Stewart will become a mantra, but I expect that will get reversed many times.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There is also a great clip from a week or two ago of BS relating that Geno has told her to never pass the ball - she is a little uncomfortable about it, but for now she is going with it! Why fight 'the man!'

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
She's also tried to force some bad passes that turned into turnovers. Clearly, passing is something the coaches are going to make a point of emphasis with her over time. However, she represents such a mismatch that when she gets the ball, it usually makes sense for her to take it herself.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
According to Breanna, Geno told her he doesn't want her leading the team in assists. There's no risk of that at her current pace. I agree with alex that right now Geno wants her to be aggressive in trying to score. Eventually she'll realize that her aggressiveness will actually create more offensive opportunities (and assists) for her teammates. It's what the coaches have been preaching to Kelly for 3+ years: opportunities for assists come about when you look to score.

Reaction Score
I think she's actually had a few more than that. The box scores out of the paradise jam have always been pretty bad.

Reaction Score
I thought Geno told her I don't want you racking up assists...she is nothing if not coachable!

Reaction Score
Breeana is an excellent passer, but when you have the ability to score like she does, and Geno has told her to be aggressive and not pass up shots, she will not have many assists, although her assist numbers will go up throughout the year.

Reaction Score
We'll see what happens when defenses start getting designed for her...any day now, I expect!

sTu

Reaction Score
My guess. The lack of assists is the one area that the speed of the college game is having its greatest impact on Stewart's game. Being somewhat like a middle linebacker roaming around and causing havoc inside and outside fits in smoothly with her strengths. Passing in the UConn offense demands an understanding where not only the other players are on the floor but where each might go depending on the defense the other team is playing. Not only that but Stewart must make those reads for herself and know where to go and keep the floor spread out. I think as the offensive flow becomes more familiar and instinctual the assists will follow.

Jim

Reaction Score
In one of the SNY All-Access clips you can hear Geno say, "Never pass the ball unless the person you are passing it to can do something better with it than you can." With Stewart's talents, following that rule eliminates a lot of passing opportunities that would otherwise arise.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
4 games. 1 assist.

Not per game. TOTAL.

What's up with that??

Geno, Meg and others always kid another former Husky for being a "black hole" on offense... once you pass it in it never comes back out. That didn't work out too bad for Kara Wolters or her Husky teams. :)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Breeana is an excellent passer, but when you have the ability to score like she does, and Geno has told her to be aggressive and not pass up shots, she will not have many assists, although her assist numbers will go up throughout the year.[/quote]

Finally! A prediction about Breanna that is reasonable and conservative. One we we can all agree with. Certainly not "over the top," a characteristic of many projections about this wonderful freshman with only four games -- and one assist -- in the books.

Reaction Score
Well, Breanna had four assists against Purdue. :)

Not just Breanna and family reading it, but the SNY announcer mentioned the stat and turn-around as well! See, the team and analysts are taking the BY coaching seriously. Maybe we should get a fee?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom