Stewart and Nurse keeping up with school work | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stewart and Nurse keeping up with school work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Missing a month to go on a spring break party binge, or to play video games at home, or a number of other frivolous choices is an issue in my mind, but to miss classes to participate in WC or Olympics is a very different thing. There is a whole lot of learning that is happening and not just the athletic growth of these two players. While not ideal, illness and accident can cause students to miss significant time in class as well - how much better for them to be traveling and experiencing different cultures instead of being in a hospital.
I disagree that computer time is the same as class time - the interaction with teachers and fellow students is a large part of the learning process, but a dedicated student can afford to miss a month of that experience if they are diligently keeping up with the work on-line.
I agree...like their basketball experience, they are getting a preview of the learning process as it will continue for them after college. May serve them well...

Reaction Score
As a recent UConn graduate who has taken a number of online courses, I can confirm she's likely not missing much. There are a few exceptions where a brilliant professor is worth the price of admission or a more hands-on subject (e.g. biology lab work) is best learned in person. But for the most part I learned more from fellow students in online discussion forums. I can think of at least a dozen courses where attending was a waste of time. The instructor would rant about their personal life and unrelated topics, the lecture was simply a rehash of the textbook material we had just read on our own, or the lesson was simply a PowerPoint slide/movie we could just as easily view on our own time.

You'll learn far more life lessons experiencing other cultures and competing against world class athletes.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Ah but we're talking about Stewart here, not an "average" player. Nurse? Well, don't know how she'll be yet.

With Stewart, that's what we're talking about. As long as she stays healthy, she'll be able to bank a couple mil in her career.

Agree, you are more than likely correct and I did allow for the "Dianas, Mayas, and Candaces" in my responses. However my issue with this was the generalization of the assumption of riches for what appeared to be most college graduates in the pros, and that the degrees that these college players earn, unless they go to an ivy league school appear to be secondary to basketball.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Agree, you are more than likely correct and I did allow for the "Dianas, Mayas, and Candaces" in my responses. However my issue with this was the generalization of the assumption of riches for what appeared to be most college graduates in the pros, and that the degrees that these college players earn, unless they go to an ivy league school appear to be secondary to basketball.
I was thinking of the elite, but reading back he was including those who are not quite at that top level. I agree with you there, they are more student-athletes. The elite though, I think are more athletic-students, and in my opinion that's fine. That's what they are going to try to make a living at.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Athlete-students with their degrees, and very polished young women thanks to CD. Whether or not they play pro ball, they will have pedigrees that will help them in any job market and in relating to those they will meet in the post-academic life. I think if we found a listing of former players from UCWBB, they are pretty solid citizens with good jobs. Or great ones -see Lobo, Rebecca or Cash, Swintayla for example. (Yes, I know Swin may still play, but she is working on her next career (or two) as well. For a recent example, Caroline seems pretty happy with Nike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom