Steven's 'Pushing On'. | The Boneyard

Steven's 'Pushing On'.

Reaction Score
Just read the caption & I presume it is true. I am very surprised that Geno agreed that Steven's was not bound to stay for 2 years. My question is, 'Why spend, all that time coaching some one who may stay only one year? Why not give all that time & training spent, to the new incoming freshman ? The trade off is not worth it!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just read the caption & I presume it is true. I am very surprised that Geno agreed that Steven's was not bound to stay for 2 years. My question is, 'Why spend, all that time coaching some one who may stay only one year? Why not give all that time & training spent, to the new incoming freshman ? The trade off is not worth it!
While Stevens was certainly not bound to stay for 2 years, from all indications, Geno had every expectation that Z would be a Husky next year. Things don’t always work out the way you plan.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Should he have not coached her? Don't you believe the staff coaches and trains everyone on the team? Would it be acceptable to do less?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
While Stevens was certainly not bound to stay for 2 years, from all indications, Geno had every expectation that Z would be a Husky next year. Things don’t always work out the way you plan.

Yes, "bound" and "expected" are two different things.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Has anyone else considered that Geno might not be all that unhappy with her departure? She seemed to find it very difficult to actually do what he wanted from her. Things like that do not make Geno happy.

Not based on his comments (paraphrased since I have no interest in tracking the quotes) near the end of season. " I love that kid"." Not even scratching the surface of her potential" . I am sure he was stunned. From a global point of view, having Z would have provided the perfect transition for ONO allowing her to orient herself without undue pressure. It was a beautifully executed plan by Geno but you can never be sure what is motivating a particular player. Oh well, we will survive and excel.

Reaction Score
As much as I didn't like Stevens, had she not been on this team we wouldn't have gotten past the Elite 8. Perhaps not even that far. The freshmen weren't ready, not even close ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
As much as I didn't like Stevens, had she not been on this team we wouldn't have gotten past the Elite 8. Perhaps not even that far. The freshmen weren't ready, not even close ...
How can you say that? We literally were 1 shot away from the finals 2 years ago & had the same team & Natalie Butler, which didn’t contribute really at all for us. It was the Pheesa & Gabby show down low.

Reaction Score
Has anyone else considered that Geno might not be all that unhappy with her departure? She seemed to find it very difficult to actually do what he wanted from her. Things like that do not make Geno happy.
I don’t think that at all. He wanted her back because he saw what she could be with another year of development.

Reaction Score
Anyone know if she hired an agent yet?

Reaction Score
How can you say that? We literally were 1 shot away from the finals 2 years ago & had the same team & Natalie Butler, which didn’t contribute really at all for us. It was the Pheesa & Gabby show down low.

Easy, it's true! Without Z we wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the FF this year. Who would you have played in her place when Gabby was having her physical health issues, or when Dangerfield was out of the lineup and/or significant parts of many games with shin splints. Who would have spelled Pheesa and Kia when their game wasn't jelling? As much as Stevens was a disappointment and didn't measure up to all the hype, she filled a big role in this year's success.

Reaction Score
Is that true? She stayed for 2-years. I have no knowledge of these matters but, it would make sense for her and him to agree for 2-years with a 3rd one as an open-ended option. Staying as a graduate student was her call-- I would have reasoned. I am thinking that she is not a flute and would not have backed out of an agreement without cause. The power of one's graduating class is always a pull- one that knaws at us with little mercy. We can only hope that she is leaving on good terms with all.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Easy, it's true! Without Z we wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the FF this year. Who would you have played in her place when Gabby was having her physical health issues, or when Dangerfield was out of the lineup and/or significant parts of many games with shin splints. Who would have spelled Pheesa and Kia when their game wasn't jelling? As much as Stevens was a disappointment and didn't measure up to all the hype, she filled a big role in this year's success.

Stevens had no affect on whether you got to the Final Four this year, go back and watch your games. As it stands you will never know if she could have helped you get any further either.

Reaction Score
Should he have not coached her? Don't you believe the staff coaches and trains everyone on the team? Would it be acceptable to do less?
Also likely made practices better having a 6'6" player to work against. Not normal to have the benefit of this size when game planning.

Reaction Score
Geno talked very positively about Z the last 3-4 weeks of the season. I think he expected and wanted her back.
Certainly different than the harsh messages he provided throughout most of the year.

Reaction Score

maybe she was unhappy with him for not getting her into that game sooner in the 3rd quarter, and decided to hit the road.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Certainly different than the harsh messages he provided throughout most of the year.
Part of that is Geno’s approach and timing. He pushes them all season. As the post-season approaches, he gives them more positive reinforcement. The players don’t have enough time to correct things if he were to complain. He wants them confident for the post-season.

In addition to his standard approach, he and most of us did see Z as improving her play in the paint. So he verbalized it.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
College athletic scholarships are for the term of one academic year at a time. They are terminible at the will of either party at the end of each season, and under certain other circumstances during the school year.

Stevens is apparently graduating in May. She would have to enroll in grad school to earn a fourth year of eligibility. I don't know what was said between her and Geno when she transferred, but it was always possible she would leave with her four year graduating class. The fact that Geno seemed surprised she's leaving might lead one to believe she initially may have planned to stay for the extra grad school year, but she was under no contractual obligation to do so because her scholarship for this academic year ends in May. She can do whatever she wants afterward.

Reaction Score
Is that true? She stayed for 2-years. I have no knowledge of these matters but, it would make sense for her and him to agree for 2-years with a 3rd one as an open-ended option. Staying as a graduate student was her call-- I would have reasoned. I am thinking that she is not a flute and would not have backed out of an agreement without cause. The power of one's graduating class is always a pull- one that knaws at us with little mercy. We can only hope that she is leaving on good terms with all.
What would have been if she had not had to sit out along with toully for a year due to transfer rules? Mysteriously, transfer rules apply everywhere except in South Bend.

Reaction Score
I almost posted this under "Breanna Living Her Best Life" post but caught myself.

I love me some Breanna Stewart! And her mom and dad! Simply the best folks.

And Z? Well for all those soooo unhappy with her because she didn't stay..........I don't get it. She did her 4 years in college. I assume she put together enough credits for a degree. But I also think that she's looking forward to making some money: maybe not the paltry rookie year WNBA salary, but the salary she'd make playing in Russia, or Turkey, or maybe if she's lucky China. And if there's any doubt that there is money to be made, a picture (of a Maserati) is worth a thousand words.

Yeah I wished she stayed. But I don't begrudge her the opportunity.

Best of luck to you Z.

GO UCONN!

Last edited by a moderator:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
After seeing some of the Mock Draft conversation at

WNBA mock draft: A’ja Wilson will go No. 1. After that, anything can happen

I think Z started to get the feeling that if she kept playing the low post in the UConn system, her status as a "unique" player viewed through WNBA eyes may have been disrupted (not to mention some already superalative assessments of her game that may come as a surprise to some at the BY). Also, if she is going to the Sky, Dolson and Coates will most likely be able handle the bruising stuff down low and she will be able to roam like her instincts want her to.

Quotes that caught my eye

#2 Indiana spot

The Fever have needs across the board. They’re in full rebuild mode, having traded their best player, Briann January one year after Tamika Catching’s retirement.

They can go one of two ways with this pick: Kelsey Mitchell, one of the most dynamic scoring guards in NCAA history, or Azura Stevens, UConn’s polished big.

#3 Chicago spot

Stevens surprised many by entering the draft a year early, but she’s clearly ready to go pro. With her talents, Stevens is in consideration at No. 2, though it’s impossible to go wrong between her and Mitchell.

Stevens played a traditional big position for Connecticut because of the Huskies’ lack of size, but she showed in her first two seasons at Duke that can stretch out to the wing and play on the perimeter, too.

She’s versatile, a talented defender, and has a long frame you can’t find anywhere else in the draft. She’s a steal at No. 3.

By the way, they have Gabby going to Chicago as #4 so Z and Gabby would be teammates with Dolson. I think this is a good fit for both players since Chicago with Dolson and their guard combo of Quigley and Vandersloot really spread the floor and pass well but can use some real good defense (ranked 10th).

I also love their coach Amber Stocks. I have listened to her break down games and find her among the most intelligent coaches I have ever heard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

What other team had a 6-6 post with Z's mobility, hands, inside-outside capabilities, sitting on the bench for the start of the second half of a national semi-final? That took an embarrassment of riches to a whole new level, because the obvious answer to the question was NOBODY. You had to think that Geno was blindsided, believing he still had next year's possible, most valuable player waiting for her breakout moment. We'll never know what Geno was thinking. Did he ask the other coaches for their opinions? Did he ask us, his spoiled, loyal fans? Because there WAS a consensus out there. As Jeff Jacobs said, the big picture remains: there has never been a more dominant college basketball record than the one we've enjoyed since 1995, Geno and CD taking us along for the wonderful, unprecedented ride. With every championship, our expectations rose to unmatched levels so that two final-four losses in two years became excruciating, thus the logical, surreal criticisms and gratitude. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
What other team had a 6-6 post with Z's mobility, hands, inside-outside capabilities, sitting on the bench for the start of the second half of a national semi-final? That took an embarrassment of riches to a whole new level, because the obvious answer to the question was NOBODY. You had to think that Geno was blindsided, believing he still had next year's possible, most valuable player waiting for her breakout moment. We'll never know what Geno was thinking. Did he ask the other coaches for their opinions? Did he ask us, his spoiled, loyal fans? Because there WAS a consensus out there. As Jeff Jacobs said, the big picture remains: there has never been a more dominant college basketball record than the one we've enjoyed since 1995, Geno and CD taking us along for the wonderful, unprecedented ride. With every championship, our expectations rose to unmatched levels so that two final-four losses in two years became excruciating, thus the logical, surreal criticisms and gratitude. Go Huskies.
As you said we will probably never know what Geno was thinking and if he got any input or questioning by the other coaches.
While obviously now we have the advantage of looking back and seeing what played out. Geno, who to somes surprise is human, demonstrated his stubbornness and inflexibility, in deciding not to stay with AZ and the lineup that brought them back in the game. He made it worse by his analysis after, that he never even thought about doing so.
Again as so many, if not all, consider him one of the greatest coaches of all time, he blew this one.
While I don't think it's the main reason AZ is leaving or left, it might well have played a part. Think of anyone who almost all here expected to start at the beginning of the season coping with and adjusting to her new, more limited role. Add to that, that your game is being drastically changed to be a big inside player. On both of these points, Geno obviously knew what he was doing. Then your team is losing and playing poorly in the national semi-final and you personally play a major part in turning it around. You then remain on the bench to start and for a good part of the 3rd period. Almost anyone would wonder, why am I doing this when I can go pro, not have to go through the rigors of Geno, use what I learned and go get paid fairly well!
Of course, she would have played 30 or so minutes a game next year, but I'd and many would surely feel unappreciated.
I don't think that's the reason you leave her in. The reason obviously is ND couldn't deal with her.
I too think she would have benefitted in the middle to long term, from another year of the coaching staffs tutelage. But we are dealing with the millennial generation on down and much of their thinking is short term because that's the world they are growing up in.
At first I was shocked she made the decision she did, now I can see more why. Of course none of us, except AZ and maybe to some degree Geno, know how her decision was reached.
She owes U Conn nothing and she made a huge difference in this years team. To not see that, is beyond my comprehension watching the part she played throughout the year.
Bronx23

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom