Steve Politi, Newark Star-Ledger: Big East can't survive WVU's departure | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Steve Politi, Newark Star-Ledger: Big East can't survive WVU's departure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Then people on this board should stop invoking scenarios where the logical conclusion is shutting down the athletic department.

When are you going to get it through your thick f^cking skull that NOBODY IS SUGGESTING THIS?

Some people just don't agree that cobbling together a bunch of bad schools and threatening to sue will somehow ensure that everything will be fine.

And for the record "Can't survive" basically means "can't continue as an AQ football conference". Understand?

Reaction Score
Then people on this board should stop invoking scenarios where the logical conclusion is shutting down the athletic department.

Could eveyone please remember that Waylon gets to set the terms for discussion on this board? It would make life so much simpler.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
When are you going to get it through your thick f^cking skull that NOBODY IS SUGGESTING THIS?

Some people just don't agree that cobbling together a bunch of bad schools and threatening to sue will somehow ensure that everything will be fine.

And for the record "Can't survive" basically means "can't continue as an AQ football conference". Understand?

Are you saying things aren't fine? Why? Is something bad happening to UConn's conference situation? Please, enlighten me.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Could eveyone please remember that Waylon gets to set the terms for discussion on this board? It would make life so much simpler.

Weren't you just scolding Rumrunner yesterday for the same thing that I was mocking him for in this thread?

Reaction Score
I don't think it does sweeten the pot for Boise or AFA. I think there is a good chance you end up with a larger Big East football conference that has two separate leagues for basketball, with the eastern half sticking with the basketball schools.

I think this potentially would be something that could work for the Big East but I'm sure this is not what will end up happening. It would be 100% better than the BIGMWCUSA that is being tossed around. 28 or 32 teams in football would be a joke. The BE has to take the best teams from the MW and CUSA in order to survive and knock them down a couple notches. The Big East would still be last among BCS leagues but would be much better than what remains of the MWCUSA.

East
UConn
Rutgers
Villanova
Cincinnati
Louisville
South Florida
Central Florida
Navy*

Notre Dame
Georgetown
St. John’s
Providence
Seton Hall

West
Boise State
BYU
Houston
SMU
Nevada
Utah State
San Diego State
Air Force*

Marquette
DePaul
Butler
Gonzaga
St. Louis

Reaction Score
What does "Big East can't survive" mean? A conference is just an affiliation of member institutions, and since this conference is shrinking rapidly, if the "Big East can't survive", does that mean the member institutions won't survive?

What he means of course is that Big East football won't be a television product with national distribution. Of course the schools will continue on, but they are looking at regional TV coverage and greatly reduced dollars for broadcast rights.

Reaction Score
Get rid of the BCS system. Take the best football schools who are left out every year; Boise State, BYU, Houston, UCF, TCU, Air Force etc... and you have a hell of a football conference. Better than the stinking ACC.

The Big East gets Syracuse, Pitt and WV for 27 months. That's 2 more football seasons after this one. In theory, Syracuse and Pitt can join the ACC on December 18, 2013; WV is looking at January 2014. Add the schools above and you dwarf the ACC for 2 years in football. By 2014 the Big 12 may be gone. Let's see where things stand in 2013.

In the interim, push for a playoff system, and kick ass on the field, especially out of conference games. Bowl Game wins are important to improve perception. We could use a BCS bowl win.

Reaction Score
I think the more reasoned position is what other program of value wants to join the Big East now. What do we have to offer football-wise? Without WVU, we're not keeping our BCS bid, the only hail mary chance is to get Boise, but why would they join? They probably have a better shot sticking with the MWC than joining the Big East which very likely could get poached again. Sure, we can get ECU, Temple, and UCF, but they're going to do nothing to solidify the BCS bid, and might be better positioned to stick with the merged MWCUSA to have a shot at the BCS bid. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Houston says thanks but no thanks now.

I still say Louisville, UConn, Cincy, USF, Rutgers are better at football than MWC and WAC schools--Boise St being the exception, of course. Just because the league is no longer viable after 2014 for the BCS doesn't mean you should saddle up with San Jose St. Marinatto has gone rogue--but that's hard top say since he has always done whatever the hell he wanted.

Reaction Score
Weren't you just scolding Rumrunner yesterday for the same thing that I was mocking him for in this thread?

Yes. But certainly you don't believe that the fact that Rumrunner's posts are worthy of mocking mean that some of yours aren't.

Reaction Score
Get rid of the BCS system. Take the best football schools who are left out every year; Boise State, BYU, Houston, UCF, TCU, Air Force etc... and you have a hell of a football conference. Better than the stinking ACC.

The Big East gets Syracuse, Pitt and WV for 27 months. That's 2 more football seasons after this one. In theory, Syracuse and Pitt can join the ACC on December 18, 2013; WV is looking at January 2014. Add the schools above and you dwarf the ACC for 2 years in football. By 2014 the Big 12 may be gone. Let's see where things stand in 2013.

In the interim, push for a playoff system, and kick ass on the field, especially out of conference games. Bowl Game wins are important to improve perception. We could use a BCS bowl win.

A football is an oblong sphere.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What he means of course is that Big East football won't be a television product with national distribution. Of course the schools will continue on, but they are looking at regional TV coverage and greatly reduced dollars for broadcast rights.

That was certainly Syracuse's goal. We shall see.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's in wojo's BMOC column.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
What does "Big East can't survive" mean? A conference is just an affiliation of member institutions, and since this conference is shrinking rapidly, if the "Big East can't survive", does that mean the member institutions won't survive?
Flawed logic.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Even the elimination of BCS football at UConn, bumping down to FBS is not even remotely close to "shutting down the athletic department". It puts us back where we were when I attended, except we've won three NCs since then, plus several more in women's hoops and another in Soccer. Not exactly a catastrophe. Playing BCS football as an independent and all other sports in BE is better still.

To put it succinctly, I would rather sacrifice football in a BCS conference than play all sports with a collection of schools ranging from Florida to Idaho and back to New England, mos of which have anything in common with UConn. As you correctly point out, it is an association of member institutions, and I'd choose not to associate with those institutions.

The only scenario I can envision as viable is to drop SFU from the BE for all sports and add no other all sports teams. Then see if UConn and this bizarre cast of extras can all form a football only conference, not called the Big East. SFU, CFU, ECU, Houston, UL, Cincy, WVU, SMU, Boise, , Nevada. Call it the Gumbo conference. It's just a mix of teams that collectively should be able to hold the AQ status. Problem: since this would gut the MWC and CUSA for football, they probably won't allow these teams to play Olympic sports in those conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom