Steve Enoch is enjoying fruits | The Boneyard

Steve Enoch is enjoying fruits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Here's an article I see on the Middletown Press website. As noted in another thread Steve is working harder in in practice and getting rewarded...

ENOCH !!!

Reaction Score
good to see him rep Norwalk CT like that... Watched him the last few games.. I'm sure it'll come with time but he seems out of position when it comes to rebounding position on the offensive end. He tends to watch a little more than react and crash the boards... I'm sure that probably comes with him learning how to do that in the space provided vs. opponents... Also, I sure hope that when our guards/forwards drive to the basket that they start feeding him.. they are leaving him open on the offensive end because opponents know he's not a threat, BUT he can be, IMO... He's got softer hands than Nolan... That alone makes him another offensive option that we need to take advantage of... He's clearly shown (already) that he can finish around the basket... give that young man the ball when he's open.. sometimes at least...

Reaction Score
It nay take awhile, but with the size and touch he has, he will be very good. Once it clicks he will be a legit low post threat. If that happens this season it will make us a tough out.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Ollie mentioned practice play twice and Enoch mentioned it once. Practice performance seems to be KO's leading indicator in who gets minutes, more so than having a traditional standard rotation and set-in-stone line-up. I think this is great for the team, hope SE continues to learn and improve... we may need him to come up huge in a big spot come March... I just hope he's ready.

Reaction Score
Him playing now as much as he is, with the 1st and 2nd units as opposed to in garbage time with the walk ons, is HUGE... I still say let him get a few touches around the basket.. not just set picks/screens. He can finish around the basket... big difference from the past early year bigs we've had..

Reaction Score
I bet Enoch's quality practice explains why Nolan saw so few minutes. I suspect KO really wanted drive the lesson home to the freshman. Play hard in practice and get minutes during the game.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
And how about that lefty baby hook move he dropped on em last game? That was impressive.

Dumping the ball down to Miller this year for points has me pissed off that we only have him for one year. Our offense goes through too many cold streaks to not have a safety valve on the block. Big Steve is no stiff and can hopefully provide us with a valuable post option as he progresses over the years

Reaction Score
He will be good but has a ways to go. He suffers the same issues as our other bigs have and still do at times, that would be help defense and reaction. He isn't seeing it before it happens which is what make a big a good defender. Reading what's going on outside of his guy and their guys is what makes these guys less affective. Steve does not have the length or athleticism of either AB or KF to potentially make up for it with a block from behind at times. But what he does have is offense, size and the ability to be physical. I like all of them together next year with Diarra too, but for now they will need to be a team of 4's/5's to help on a given night.

And yes Shonn needs to keep his hands out not he defensive end and realize we're a better team if he can play 30-35 minutes.

Reaction Score
And how about that lefty baby hook move he dropped on em last game? That was impressive.

Dumping the ball down to Miller this year for points has me pissed off that we only have him for one year. Our offense goes through too many cold streaks to not have a safety valve on the block. Big Steve is no stiff and can hopefully provide us with a valuable post option as he progresses over the years

That low-post baby hook move gave me chills. Can't pinpoint exactly why but probably because we haven't been had a player capable of that move, esp. as a freshman, in I can't even remember how long.

Reaction Score
The news is that Enoch is having quality practices. The bad news is that he is practicing against Nolan.
Surely he's learning to avoid how to charge, then.

What's even more impressive is how adept he is at establishing early post position. He's like a savant at it, and the only reason people haven't noticed is because we're allergic to throwing entry passes. It enrages me.

Enoch is so polished around the basket that it's scary - he knows how to catch and keep high, he knows how to seal, and he understands how to draw fouls. He also takes his time and spins away from doubles because he's confident with either hand.

He's as good on that end as he is bad defensively, and Ollie needs to start using that to punish teams.

Reaction Score
The news is that Enoch is having quality practices. The bad news is that he is practicing against Nolan.

You know, you say this as a joke, but I think the fact that our bigs haven't developed as they did in the past has a lot to do with this.

Take Hilton Armstrong as an example. Went from a nobody to a lottery pick. He got to practice against Okafor, Villanueva, and Boone for 4 years.

In contrast, Nolan is going nowhere. But the guys he has to learn with and sharpen his skills against are Olander, Facey, and Brimah.

I think the lack of talented bigs, who all force each other to improve, is more important than the lack of a big man coach.

Reaction Score
Really like the rotation of Brimah, Facey & Enoch next year. It's about time we have a front court as good as our back court.

My question is who gets more playing time next year? Durham or Diarra?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
You know, you say this as a joke, but I think the fact that our bigs haven't developed as they did in the past has a lot to do with this.

Take Hilton Armstrong as an example. Went from a nobody to a lottery pick. He got to practice against Okafor, Villanueva, and Boone for 4 years.

In contrast, Nolan is going nowhere. But the guys he has to learn with and sharpen his skills against are Olander, Facey, and Brimah.

I think the lack of talented bigs, who all force each other to improve, is more important than the lack of a big man coach.
he's not saying it as a joke...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky