Sterling Gibbs Enjoys Ohio State Visit, Decision Expected Soon | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Sterling Gibbs Enjoys Ohio State Visit, Decision Expected Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If it's UConn versus Louisville, maybe you go to Louisville. If it's UConn versus Mississippi State or some other basketball wasteland, it's an easy decision.

"Exposure" is an overused term in recruiting, and really, it's only something that tilts the balance of power when all else is even, IMO. As I've said before, the first question recruits are asking is, "can you get me to the NBA?" If the answer is yes, the scouts will find you.
I still don't see whats appealing about louisville, they're in the middle of nowhere, their offense is atrocious, their defense is going to have to change bc they're starting to get called more bc every trip down is a foul, they have terrible jerseys, and im being serious here, who goes to the nba and does anything?

Reaction Score
I often wonder how many cbb sites have fans that give reasons why a recruit should not choose their school and relentlessly argue the point.

We are in the AAC. That's it. Whining won't change it. I don't believe it permanent but I know that it won't change by continually harping. The University s athletic department is aware of our concerns by now. As far as I'm concern the AAC will be good as long as we're members. A rising tide lifts all boats. We're UCONN dammit. Now let's put some lipstick on this pig!
It's bizarre, people on this board will fight you to the death about everything that's wrong with UConn basketball. It really gets old.

Reaction Score
I still don't see whats appealing about louisville, they're in the middle of nowhere, their offense is atrocious, their defense is going to have to change bc they're starting to get called more bc every trip down is a foul, they have terrible jerseys, and im being serious here, who goes to the nba and does anything?
I honestly think Francisco Garcia and Peyton Siva are their most successful NBA players in the last 15-20 years. They bring in McD's All-Americans all the time and nobody ever amounts to anything in the league.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I honestly think Francisco Garcia and Peyton Siva are their most successful NBA players in the last 15-20 years. They bring in McD's All-Americans all the time and nobody ever amounts to anything in the league.

I hate UL just as much as the next guy, but Gorgui Dieng? He's pretty decent.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
What? I believe you are attempting to communicate but I may be mistaken.

It's not a conspiracy theory, its not even that far fetched for it to be labeled so. The guy and his father have been in contact with KO for months now, even members on this board know that, and the Seton Hall coach publicly stated back in february that coaches "must wait until the season is over to contact him, if they dont, we will block his transfer there". All I'm saying is its likely he was told by someone at either UConn or SH to slow things down. You think its just a coincidence that several major outlets reported him committing to UConn then all of a sudden him saying I havent decided yet. A source to one of the reporters probably caught wind of his intentions but jumped the gun on forwarding it to these guys.

His father's recent comments where he clearly lies about him and Sterling never having visited the UConn campus provide another bit of evidence to support this possibility. I dont even know why I wasted time typing this up seeing as if you simply open you're eyes, several others have made this possible connection based on his fathers recent comments.

tl;dr piss off pnow

But you were suggesting tampering charges against Ollie due internet gossip, rather than confirmed emails or other evidence.

Reaction Score
Obviously I'm not a Louisville supporter, but if you thought their offense was atrocious last year then what adjective would you use to describe ours?

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
As far as I'm concerned the AAC will be good as long as we're members. A rising tide lifts all boats.

No, the AAC is quicksand slowly ensuring our demise.... What we have grown accustomed to in the past 2+ decades, will be just that, in the past. To remain a top 10 program going forward, we can't be affiliated with the American. Can we escape? No clue, but to think the AAC will be a power conf, is just delusional. Lipstick and rising tides won't help bud, it's a sinking ship.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
I often wonder how many cbb sites have fans that give reasons why a recruit should not choose their school and relentlessly argue the point.

We are in the AAC. That's it. Whining won't change it.

Whining won't change it? Then what has been the point of the 84 page Diamond stone and 63 page tevin Mack threads? Besides pizza and the dairy bar of course and maybe clam chowder.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Whining won't change it? Then what has been the point of the 84 page Diamond stone and 63 page tevin Mack threads? Besides pizza and the dairy bar of course and maybe clam chowder.

Little known fact: Delany browses this forum, so the louder the complaining the more likely it'll catch his eye and prove that we want into the B1G. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
What? I believe you are attempting to communicate but I may be mistaken.

It's not a conspiracy theory, its not even that far fetched for it to be labeled so. The guy and his father have been in contact with KO for months now, even members on this board know that, and the Seton Hall coach publicly stated back in february that coaches "must wait until the season is over to contact him, if they dont, we will block his transfer there". All I'm saying is its likely he was told by someone at either UConn or SH to slow things down. You think its just a coincidence that several major outlets reported him committing to UConn then all of a sudden him saying I havent decided yet. A source to one of the reporters probably caught wind of his intentions but jumped the gun on forwarding it to these guys.

His father's recent comments where he clearly lies about him and Sterling never having visited the UConn campus provide another bit of evidence to support this possibility. I dont even know why I wasted time typing this up seeing as if you simply open you're eyes, several others have made this possible connection based on his fathers recent comments.

tl;dr piss off pnow

that was Shonn Miller's coach, not Gibbs

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
But you were suggesting tampering charges against Ollie due internet gossip, rather than confirmed emails or other evidence.
I wasnt suggesting the tampering evidence against Ollie because of internet gossip. Im saying the fact that a couple connected members on our own board foresaw the announcement to transfer and the significant interest from UConn which all turned out to be true months after Gibbs himself he was returning to SH, indicate that its not far fetched that someone at Seton Hall or an NCAA official could have heard the same things that could raise an ear. Thats all I was saying.

Reaction Score
Strictly speaking, you have a theory about a conspiracy... so it's a conspiracy theory.

Reaction Score
I hate UL just as much as the next guy, but Gorgui Dieng? He's pretty decent.
Good call, I watch a lot of NBA but barely watched T'Wolves. Wasn't trying to hate on Louisville, just can't think of any good NBA players they have had.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Strictly speaking, you have a theory about a conspiracy... so it's a conspiracy theory.
Since you seem to be the smartest guy on this board, Leebo, the MW Dictionary defines the word "conspiracy" as "a secret plan to do something unlawful or hurtful, often involving subterfuge and collusion". So no, me pointing to a relatively innocuous observation that has equal evidence to prove its validity as it does to disprove it, does NOT make it a conspiracy.

Reaction Score
No, the AAC is quicksand slowly ensuring our demise.... What we have grown accustomed to in the past 2+ decades, will be just that, in the past. To remain a top 10 program going forward, we can't be affiliated with the American. Can we escape? No clue, but to think the AAC will be a power conf, is just delusional. Lipstick and rising tides won't help bud, it's a sinking ship.

The AAC is definitely not the most optimal conference. But hell, Id rather be in the AAC than the new Big East. Having SMU, Tulsa, Memphis and Temple we could potentially (depending on performance in OOC games) have 5 teams in the tourney. Plus having big name coaches like Larry Brown and KO only help our exposure in the media. We are UConn, the capital of college basketball and fading into the abyss will not happen.

Reaction Score
Since you seem to be the smartest guy on this board, Leebo, the MW Dictionary defines the word "conspiracy" as "a secret plan to do something unlawful or hurtful, often involving subterfuge and collusion". So no, me pointing to a relatively innocuous observation that has equal evidence to prove its validity as it does to disprove it, does NOT make it a conspiracy.

You are suggesting that the UConn staff are going to be accused of tampering, which would be against the NCAA rules, and would definitely qualify as a conspiracy in the context of college basketball recruiting.

It kinda goes without saying that Gibbs avoiding UConn in your scenario would involve him being aware of the tampering, because if he just avoided UConn because of message board rumors and there was no actual tampering, that would be idiotic.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Compared to all the other blue bloods, and Ohio State, it is. Rather have their tv exposure wouldn't you?

You mean to tell me that UConn hasn't taken a major step back in tv exposure being in the AAC? I don't know about you, but I remember when we were on Big Monday regularly. We aren't anymore. We aren't on Super Tuesday, either (never were). Are you saying that a recruit whom wants tv exposure would prefer secondary AAC vs primetime power 5 coverage?

The AAC is a major problem for us. In recruiting, it's a major hurdle. To a recruit looking for tv exposure, Ohio State looks better than UConn.

Look, I want this kid more than anything (assuming he fits in), but we don't know what's going on in his head, and if he chooses a power 5 school over us, because he wants better tv exposure, than so be it. And it is not a failure on KO's part if we don't land him.
Were not on Big Monday but we are on ESPN, ESPN 2 and CBS more than virtually every other team except for KY, Duke, UNC and Kansas. You can ignore it if you want to but its the absolute truth. We are on almost exactly the same amount as in the past past, just in some different time slots. If you define "exposure" as national broadcasts on national networks (as I do) than we have more exposure than nearly any other school besides the very elite blue bloods.

Reaction Score
Never said power conference but our conference. Like it or not that's what it is. We should root and promote it as long as we're members. I don't love it but I love UConn. I get your point. Don't have rose colored glasses. I just don't see where talking down the conference gets us. I'm not interested in these tit for tat arguments on the BY so I won't respond anymore to this comment. Have a nice evening.

Reaction Score

I was just using Louisville as an example of a like program in a better conference.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
. I get your point. Don't have rose colored glasses. I just don't see where talking down the conference gets us.

I'm not talking down the AAC, I just try to remove my Husky goggles from time to time and see reality for what it is. But like you stated, we gotta go with what we got and make the best. You have a nice evening as well sir

Reaction Score
CAHUSKY said:
Were not on Big Monday but we are on ESPN, ESPN 2 and CBS more than virtually every other team except for KY, Duke, UNC and Kansas. You can ignore it if you want to but its the absolute truth. We are on almost exactly the same amount as in the past past, just in some different time slots. If you define "exposure" as national broadcasts on national networks (as I do) than we have more exposure than nearly any other school besides the very elite blue bloods.

Bingo. I wish our fan base would stop whining about imaginary problems. We get tons of exposure.

It might help the perception of our brand if UConn fans were confident and positive. We are one year removed from a national title and we have some great talent rolling into town soon. On top of that, there is lots of CR smoke. I feel pretty good right now.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
- Rick Pitino
- Top 8 program (all-time)
- Just won the NCAA title little over 24 months ago
- Atlantic Coast Conference (great exposure/opponents)
- excellent facilities for student athletes

Reaction Score
- Rick Pitino
- Top 8 program (all-time)
- Just won the NCAA title little over 24 months ago
- Atlantic Coast Conference (great exposure/opponents)
- excellent facilities for student athletes

I hear they also offer degrees in swahili

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member