Stepping Stone vs. Destination Jobs | The Boneyard

Stepping Stone vs. Destination Jobs

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yeah, I know there's a general thread for the coaching changes.

Lincoln Riley leaving OU for USC is a clear reminder that there are very few jobs no football coach in America wouldn't leave for another. OU is about as good as it gets for 99% of coaches but eventually the coach gets an itch to try something else. Sure, LA is a helluva lot nicer than anywhere in Oklahoma but I'm sure it's more the challenge to succeed there than it is the actual location.

As it relates to UConn, never be afraid to hire someone who might want to jump if they become successful. They're success is success us fans get to enjoy too.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He just lost to OKST and didn't make the playoff. At OU that means you're on the hot seat. If he repeated it next year they'd be calling for his head. He's also about to enter the SEC. No more beating a mismanaged Texas and cruising to a NY6 bowl game.

He now gets to be top dog in the Pac12 and keep his reputation. Not to mention better QB's (see going to the SEC).

Reaction Score
He just lost to OKST and didn't make the playoff. At OU that means you're on the hot seat. If he repeated it next year they'd be calling for his head. He's also about to enter the SEC. No more beating a mismanaged Texas and cruising to a NY6 bowl game.

He now gets to be top dog in the Pac12 and keep his reputation. Not to mention better QB's (see going to the SEC).
OK is about to realize they won't be in the college playoffs for a long time unless they expand the amount of teams. At 4 AL, GA, OH ST or B10 winner and a 4th which probably would be Notre Dame or PAC or Clemson.

OK will have a hard time getting to just 1 loss and could easily have 3 most years.

Reaction Score
OK is about to realize they won't be in the college playoffs for a long time unless they expand the amount of teams. At 4 AL, GA, OH ST or B10 winner and a 4th which probably would be Notre Dame or PAC or Clemson.

OK will have a hard time getting to just 1 loss and could easily have 3 most years.
See Nebraska in B1G. And I have to say that I’ll be enjoying their pain.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I know there's a general thread for the coaching changes.

Lincoln Riley leaving OU for USC is a clear reminder that there are very few jobs no football coach in America wouldn't leave for another. OU is about as good as it gets for 99% of coaches but eventually the coach gets an itch to try something else. Sure, LA is a helluva lot nicer than anywhere in Oklahoma but I'm sure it's more the challenge to succeed there than it is the actual location.

As it relates to UConn, never be afraid to hire someone who might want to jump if they become successful. They're success is success us fans get to enjoy too.
The thing about Mora specifically. It’ll probably take 5 years for him to completely turn this around and idk many schools hiring 65 year old coaches these days. He doesn’t come off as a guy who will bolt quick. In terms of Reilly, if you think about it. It makes sense.

Reaction Score
The thing about Mora specifically. It’ll probably take 5 years for him to completely turn this around and idk many schools hiring 65 year old coaches these days. He doesn’t come off as a guy who will bolt quick. In terms of Reilly, if you think about it. It makes sense.
Mora sounds like he wants to be here. Is building his staff for long term goals and recruiting pipelines. Honestly if they can keep developing Tyler P, this team can win some games.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My best anecdote on this subject is something Geno has said a number of times about taking the job here. He figured he'd be here a half dozen years or a couple more, depending on his success here and then look for something like an ACC head coaching job. The longer he worked here, the fewer jobs there were that would be a better situation.

We don't need to match that level of success but this job can become something much more than a lower rung on the ladder.

Reaction Score
My best anecdote on this subject is something Geno has said a number of times about taking the job here. He figured he'd be here a half dozen years or a couple more, depending on his success here and then look for something like an ACC head coaching job. The longer he worked here, the fewer jobs there were that would be a better situation.

We don't need to match that level of success but this job can become something much more than a lower rung on the ladder.
I think everyone in the situation knows UConn isn't going to be competing for national championships in football. Is it possible? Sure, but outside of like 10 schools, there really is zero opportunity to make it into the playoffs as they currently are. Mora is laying down a very, very good foundation with his staff so far to move forward. Recruiting seems like it will get better and the coaches he's hired so far all have a very good track record. If UConn gets back to winning 8-9 games every season and Mora decides to stick around for a while, AD David Benedict deserves a statue built of him in front of Shenkman.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Mora sounds like he wants to be here. Is building his staff for long term goals and recruiting pipelines. Honestly if they can keep developing Tyler P, this team can win some games.

Yeah, mine was more of the general comments we here around here of some worrying about picking a hot shot who will leave for "better" or "bigger" jobs if they have success at UConn. First things first. Let's hire a coach who actually does well enough to get poached and then we can see how UConn handles it.

As for Riley maybe he is skipping town before going to SEC. Bottom line is he wasn't leaving Oklahoma to go to TCU, SMU or Georgia Southern. There are only a few jobs in the country he'd go after. USC was one of them.

Reaction Score
Being about Mora's age, I can see this. If he makes this work, he will be (UConn) royalty for life.
Just like Edsall had a chance to do. Actually, Edsall's legacy only needed some marginal success during the 2.0 era in order to wash the stink off how he departed for Maryland. Then we could have started measuring him for the statue. Alas, he flubbed it. Big time.

It's way early, but Mora has done everything right so far. I am cautiously optimistic that he can take advantage of what we have here and get the program on the right track to maximizing its potential.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
See also Brian Kelley to LSU (If true).

Trying to figure out what motivates these guys is a crapshoot at best.

Reaction Score
There's a problem if it takes him 5 years to completely turn this around.

Reaction Score

IMG_81581.jpg

Reaction Score
There really isn't any real destination jobs anymore. At end of the day, it is just money and more money.

So happy UCONN isn't in this rat race anymore. We got Jim Mora, and we are the right fit for him. He will get plenty of chances, and the fanbase would be very happy with a 8+ wins season year in and year out. Hell, I think many would be happy with 7 wins per year. I hope Mora will be here for the long term since there won't be this ridiculous pressure to win at places like USC, LSU etc.

Reaction Score
There truly are no destination jobs. Enjoy the present and don't worry about what may happen in the future (in regards to coaches coming and going.)
You can't control human greed and this highest bidder economy. It is ridiculous many football coaches make more money than the governor of the state, but it is a reality.

Basically, small schools won't be able to compete in the future due to money. Conferences like the B1G and SEC can always poach coaches from smaller school to keep the inequality going.

Not sure NCAA can do anything about this, but there should be some kind of salary cap for schools for coaching staff or this will get out of the control in a big way.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There truly are no destination jobs. Enjoy the present and don't worry about what may happen in the future (in regards to coaches coming and going.)
Which was my point when starting this thread. One man's dream job is another man's stepping stone. And even a dream job can become tedious and boring after a while.

All these alpha coaches need the adrenaline rush and the adventure of pursuit.

Reaction Score
Even a dream job can become tedious and boring after a while. All these alpha coaches need the adrenaline rush and the adventure of pursuit.
While money will always be a factor, Chin has captured the essence. Substitute “wife” for “job” and you’ll understand it even better!

Reaction Score
Being about Mora's age, I can see this. If he makes this work, he will be (UConn) royalty for life.
If he rights the ship and stays long term, Mora is going to be considered the Calhoun of UConn football. You heard it here first.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If he rights the ship and stays long term, Mora is going to be considered the Calhoun of UConn football. You heard it here first.
Didn't I kinda just say that?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom