2023 Recruiting: - Stephon Castle Commits to UConn | Page 11 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Stephon Castle Commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah the salary cap is set as a % of league revenue. Just look at the cap history to see revenue go up. Ratings have been declining, but that's part of a larger trend relating to cable viewership and more entertainment options in general.

Reaction Score
Yeah the salary cap is set as a % of league revenue. Just look at the cap history to see revenue go up. Ratings have been declining, but that's part of a larger trend relating to cable viewership and more entertainment options in general.
BuT WhAt AbOuT iNfLaTiOn!?

All joking aside, I think it has a lot to do with the “other options.”

Am I going to sit in the nosebleeds to watch a random NBA game? Or will I sit in the comfort of my house, on my couch, beer in hand, with sideline views in HD with coaching sound bites and replays.

Kind of a no brainer for the average game IMO. Especially if the seats are meh

Reaction Score
You’re just plain wrong on league revenue.

No, you’re wrong in looking at revenue as profit. 14 NBA teams lost money last year, and many of the ones that made money just got by. Nobody I know watches the NBA anymore, ratings have been downtrending for many years, much less buys tickets to go see a game. Guaranteeing player contracts is crazy, if you play in the NFL is you don’t produce you’re gone. Maybe someone could politely ask Lebron to start playing defense. Lol

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Uh, yes and no. The general point I was making is college stars can’t depend on the NBA in coming years, they better get their degrees while they’re for free to fall back on, no one cares about the NBA anymore, it’s a dying league. Empty arenas, many of the franchises on life support, the big money for NBA players can’t go on indefinitely. The major networks have largely abandoned the NBA as the ratings are abysmal, if it wasn’t for ESPN propping the league up it would be in real trouble, and team owners are running out of cash. I myself have not watched an NBA regular season game or bought tickets in ten years. Only time I see the NBA now is when Sports Center shows highlights ad nauseam. I see the NBA going the way of arena football in the next 20 years.

A lot of these things tend to be posturing by the league ahead of labor negotiations, but accepting the argument for sake of discussion, the current trajectory of sports salaries may not be sustainable, but the product has been around for a long time and at some level the demand will be there for the foreseeable future. Maybe instead of a journeyman raking in 20 million over the course of a career, he will have to get by on 10. To think you go from making the league to “better get that degree” is nonsense for the small subset of college players that truly have what it takes.

Reaction Score
Does Castle have good handles? Can he graduate 1.5 years early and join us in January?

Reaction Score
Does Castle have good handles? Can he graduate 1.5 years early and join us in January?
If things get really bad (performance and injuries), then we would have to consider burning CF Jr's redshirt. I don't think (and don't want) that to happen. I think this week's challenges were against three really good defensive/athletic teams and it will help us down the road. I think most Big East teams will be hard pressed to defend our guards and wings the way they were this week.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
If things get really bad (performance and injuries), then we would have to consider burning CF Jr's redshirt. I don't think (and don't want) that to happen. I think this week's challenges were against three really good defensive/athletic teams and it will help us down the road. I think most Big East teams will be hard pressed to defend our guards and wings the way they were this week.
Exactly. VCU defended like crazy. It was amazing on a lot of those possessions.

Reaction Score
“Nobody I know watches the NBA anymore”
0A0CB9A1-3547-4664-8FCF-5F764BC8D7B5.gif

Reaction Score
New game highlights.

I count 16 points and 6 assists. A block and 2 steals. Worth noting that his team starts a few 4* players and has a bunch of D1 talent. This isn't a slouch public schools team or anything.

Reaction Score
Game from last night...

12 PTS
3 AST

3/3 FT

2 steal
1 block
  • 3 point shooting really has improved since last winter. Makes sense why his rankings have been going up so much.
  • He’s not super physically developed. He’d probably be a top 10 player if he was… probably a good thing. Get him in the gym for the summer, and we’re gonna have a strong, quick 6’6 PG.
  • He is playing for a legit team… don’t forget. I think his team starts all D1 players. With 3 4*s.
  • Don’t hate me because I know some of you have been criticall… but he reminds me of a 6’6 HS version of Gaffney. Nothing really sticks out as being exceptional, he’s just well-rounded and pretty good at everything… and he looks like a low TO player from what I’ve seen. athleticism, passing, shot, defense. All pretty or very good… but nothing is great. I’ll certainly take that from a 6’6 PG. We need a steady hand.
  • Didn’t play the 4th quarter.
3 ball

For 2
The Rockdale vs. Newton Rivalry game is always ! Newton applies pressure during 2nd half run.

assist
The Rockdale vs. Newton Rivalry game is always ! Newton applies pressure during 2nd half run.

Block. + mom in the crowd with the Huskies T

Corner 3 assist

Can’t really tell if this is a block or a steal, but I’ll say steal.

Offensive board + 2

Funky turn around jumper AND ONE… haven’t seen that in his bag before that I recall.

Transition oop

Reaction Score
Game from last night...

12 PTS
3 AST

3/3 FT

2 steal
1 block
  • 3 point shooting really has improved since last winter. Makes sense why his rankings have been going up so much.
  • He’s not super physically developed. He’d probably be a top 10 player if he was… probably a good thing. Get him in the gym for the summer, and we’re gonna have a strong, quick 6’6 PG.
  • He is playing for a legit team… don’t forget. I think his team starts all D1 players. With 3 4*s.
  • Don’t hate me because I know some of you have been criticall… but he reminds me of a 6’6 HS version of Gaffney. Nothing really sticks out as being exceptional, he’s just well-rounded and pretty good at everything… and he looks like a low TO player from what I’ve seen. athleticism, passing, shot, defense. All pretty or very good… but nothing is great. I’ll certainly take that from a 6’6 PG. We need a steady hand.
  • Didn’t play the 4th quarter.
3 ball

For 2

assist

Block. + mom in the crowd with the Huskies T

Corner 3 assist

Can’t really tell if this is a block or a steal, but I’ll say steal.

Offensive board + 2

Funky turn around jumper AND ONE… haven’t seen that in his bag before that I recall.

Transition oop

Chief thinks the over-all assessment is fair based on my eye ball test in other games, although I did not see this particular game.

Reaction Score
No assists, never looks to pass. He’s our next great PG? SMH ;)
This is just a sample of his highlights - I've seen many excellent assists/dishes/alley oops in other samples. But, that said his skillset seems to be more as a 2 than a 1 because he can certainly shoot well and finish at the rim with two hands, etc. Definitely a modern combo guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom