Stephen A. Smith at UConn | The Boneyard

Stephen A. Smith at UConn

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I attended the Stephen A. Smith lecture at UConn this evening

-He came out immediately with "Let me start off with this, are there any UConn basketball players in the house?"
I was sitting in the same section as Cobb and Onuorah. Cobb shouted something like "Yeah, whatchu want?"
Stephen A. responded "Alright I'll go easy then. There was a time when you hear UConn basketball and you think 'national championship'. Ben Gordon, Okafor, Kemba and the crew. Those days are over, sorry to say. And it will be a long time before you get back there."

-He also went on multiple occasions saying that he loves Ollie, and although he had to go, the root problem is the conference affiliation. He says they have to get back into the Big East.
He said something like-
"I didn't even know where Wichita was until I did a College Gameday there. The interest in UConn basketball, for me, is when they play the St. Johns, Georgetowns and Syracuses. You can't be playing Wichita, Cincinnati, UCF."

-Thinks if there is anyone that can do the job, Dan Hurley is capable.

Reaction Score

-He came out immediately with "Let me start off with this, are there any UConn basketball players in the house?"
I was sitting in the same section as Cobb and Onuorah. Cobb shouted something like "Yeah, whatchu want?"
Stephen A. responded "Alright I'll go easy then. There was a time when you hear UConn basketball and you think 'national championship'. Ben Gordon, Okafor, Kemba and the crew. Those days are over, sorry to say. And it will be a long time before you get back there."

-He also went on multiple occasions saying that he loves Ollie, and although he had to go, the root problem is the conference affiliation. He says they have to get back into the Big East.
He said something like-
"I didn't even know where Wichita was until I did a College Gameday there. The interest in UConn basketball, for me, is when they play the St. Johns, Georgetowns and Syracuses. You can't be playing Wichita, Cincinnati, UCF."

So...not really a pep talk, per se?

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
1. UConn has already won a championship in this conference.
2. Wichita State is in... wait for it... Wichita, a city that anyone who spent some time with a map of the US is familiar with.
3. The dude just likes to hear himself talk and give whatever hot take he can conjure up.

Reaction Score
This was me plenty of times this season

JCN5agV.gif

Reaction Score

He said something like-

Why was Stephen Smith giving a lecture at UConn and why on earth did you attend?

Reaction Score

He said something like-

Ef him and the horse he road in on!

Reaction Score

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I think once you don't take Stephen A. seriously and realize the fact that he is a television personality and entertainer, first and foremost, over an objective sports analyst, you can appreciate him. Especially since he admitted tonight that his main goal in his career is to keep ratings up.
Or you can just find him to be obnoxious.
But I enjoy him.

Reaction Score
Only thing more irrelevant than us w/out the big east is Stephen A w/out skip.....if anyone knows the need for an affiliation it’s his talentless self

Reaction Score
I like Stephen A. He doesn't take himself nearly as seriously as people think. I'll listen to him rant about LeBron all day before I endure some of these other ESPN intellectuals who are too cool to have a passionate opinion on something other than social justice. And yes, I know Stephen A. has dabbled in those waters quite a bit, but that's the point - you never get the sense that he thinks he's too good for his job like you do with others at that network.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Saying UConn should join the NBE proves he's as big a moron as Dookie V.

Reaction Score
He said something like-
"I didn't even know where Wichita was until I did a College Gameday there.

Any person with even a very basic, rudimentary knowledge of geography can locate Wichita with ease. Is this guy a joke?

Stephen reminds me of this:

Reaction Score
This viewpoint will fade when we start dominating the AAC and return to our status as tournament stalwarts.

Laughable that he mentions one ACC team and two C7 programs that are shadows of their old selves.

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
People forget about Wichita but it’s one of the top 50 biggest cities in the country.

Sad.

Reaction Score
The only good thing about Stephen A. Smith is when Frank Caliendo impersonates him. Otherwise, the guy is as informed about college basketball as my six year old is.

Reaction Score
ESPN has to fill their airtime with something and using Baylis and Smith shows what little else they have. 2 bombastic jerks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom