Steph Curry becomes first ever unanimous MVP | The Boneyard

Steph Curry becomes first ever unanimous MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jordan will likely never be topped as the greatest of all time because of the sustained greatness. However, is Curry and how he played this year at a level higher than Jordan ever reached? I mean what Steph did this entire season, and again last night is just unbelievable.

Reaction Score
He did arguably have the greatest season statistically. Not only that but he did it playing less than 35 MPG and he happened to be on the winningest team in NBA history. Just saying. I know the older generations think Jordan is the end all be all but what Steph did this year is flat out ridiculous.
He had one of the greatest seasons of all time for sure. But in his prime, Jordan was minimum a top 3 offensive and defensive player in the league - a combination that Curry can't come close to matching. And he put up his numbers playing with much less offensive talent.

By the way, I'm not part of that older generation, so I don't have any bias toward Jordan.

Reaction Score
He had one of the greatest seasons of all time for sure. But in his prime, Jordan was minimum a top 3 offensive and defensive player in the league - a combination that Curry can't come close to matching. And he put up his numbers playing with much less offensive talent.

By the way, I'm not part of that older generation, so I don't have any bias toward Jordan.
Didn't mean I was throwing you in with the older generation, just a statement I believe holds true. Good points, though. It was just food for thought. I think it's certainly debatable which in itself is pretty wild because of the pedestal Jordan was able to put himself on.

Reaction Score
Didn't mean I was throwing you in with the older generation, just a statement I believe holds true. Good points, though. It was just food for thought. I think it's certainly debatable which in itself is pretty wild because of the pedestal Jordan was able to put himself on.
Completely agree. There's a long way to go, but I think Curry ends up being the best point guard of all time. His career has been something special to follow already, and he keeps finding ways to get better.

Reaction Score
Well deserved MVP. But I think most can agree, there should have been several players in years past that should have been unanimous. Offensively, Steph had an all time historic season along with his team. But, to compare to Jordan is difficult. Jordan was a two player and perennial all defensive first team. Curry has a long way to go on that side of the ball.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

A person who is in the field of professional sports journalism shouldn't be surprised by that fact. It's supposed to be a basic talking point of value/numbers.

Reaction Score
Jordan will likely never be topped as the greatest of all time because of the sustained greatness. However, is Curry and how he played this year at a level higher than Jordan ever reached? I mean what Steph did this entire season, and again last night is just unbelievable.
Wilt was better than Jordan. It's just the arrogance of the new that keeps him from his rightful spot.

Reaction Score
Also remember if Jordan had not retired twice, we are probably talking 7 - 9 mvps possibly and probably even more titles....I mean, I think having the 24 7 media adds to the awe of curry...trust me I think he is an amazing player, but lets just watch this thing play out for a couple of years.

Reaction Score
Nobody thinks Curry is as good as Jordan for his career but at this moment in time he is, for this season he was as good as MJ.
No, because curry doesnt play the defense Jordan does. Offensively he may be a greater shooter. He can really put up some serious numbers shooting the three...but really, thats were it ends....Look at Jordans advanced metrics. Look at his win shares. Look at their field goal percentages at the same age, really the thing that makes Curry amazing is his 3pt shooting. I just think it is crazy to say that because it was unanimous that he is playing at Jordan level.

Reaction Score
No, because curry doesnt play the defense Jordan does. Offensively he may be a greater shooter. He can really put up some serious numbers shooting the three...but really, thats were it ends....Look at Jordans advanced metrics. Look at his win shares. Look at their field goal percentages at the same age, really the thing that makes Curry amazing is his 3pt shooting. I just think it is crazy to say that because it was unanimous that he is playing at Jordan level.
Offensively he may be a greater shooter, lol. You lost me there, not reading the rest.

Reaction Score
Yes I know I should have said he is a great shooter...I forgot that I was typing a thesis paper, and these imperfections are going to cost me. Bottom line it reminds me of the Jimmer Fredette vs. Kemba Walker year. No way Jimmer should have won the player of the year. They were only taking into account his offensive skill. Kemba was a lock down defender that year along with being a great offensive player. That is the difference maker for me. Once Curry gets to that level defensively as Jordan did, no season he has could compare.

Reaction Score

You were saying...

PER.png

Reaction Score
Curry in my view is absolutely at Jordan level right now in terms of offense. He deserved unanimous MVP especially since they robbed him of the most improved award. In modern era (post Wilt 50pt seasons) its the best offensive season ever. But what truly makes Curry Jordan-esque is in the biggest games and moments you KNOW Curry is going to come through & you can't take your eyes off him.

I completely agree that Jordan is better overall b/c of defense. Another factor limiting Curry both now and all-time-wise is Curry's ankles/knee. Curry really needs to stay healthy rest of the way to ascend to mountaintop of NBAs greatest player and LeBron is going to have something to say about this in the finals.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the absurd difference in the defensive rules when Jordan played vs. today. Offense is just so much easier now because you can't handcheck, or repeatedly give hard fouls, because now those fouls would be flagrant. It makes it somewhat meaningless to compare stats or efficiency.

The old rules would be tough on a player like Steph because teams would be so physical with him all the time as a baseline strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom