Stefanie Dolson says her entire family had COVID-19 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stefanie Dolson says her entire family had COVID-19

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
New York hasn't even closed its subway systems where infection has probably been a major reason for the state's misery. At least on the beach there is open air and you can by and large keep your distance from others though I agree it shouldn't be opened either.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
New York hasn't even closed its subway systems where infection has probably been a major reason for the state's misery. At least on the beach there is open air and you can by and large keep your distance from others though I agree it shouldn't be opened either.
There is a significant difference. Many essential workers, including healthcare workers, can not get to their jobs without using the NYC subway system. As much as everyone loves the beach, it’s certainly not essential to keep open.

Reaction Score
If it was on CNN then it must be true!!!
Not for nothing, but I suspect the chances of something CNN reported being true are slightly higher than the chances for something a poster on a sports forum comes up with. I could be wrong, mind you: I'm just another poster, and I don't have a medical degree (and perhaps you do).

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
There is a significant difference. Many essential workers, including healthcare workers, can not get to their jobs without using the NYC subway system. As much as everyone loves the beach, it’s certainly not essential to keep open.

Subway systems are incubators for the virus with people cramped together in close quarters and no ventilation. Find another way to work or kill thousands more. I'd suggest the former.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Subway systems are incubators for the virus with people cramped together in close quarters and no ventilation. Find another way to work or kill thousands more. I'd suggest the former.
You can’t be serious? Without mass transit, big city hospitals, police, fire departments, supermarkets and drug stores would not be able to operate, leading to chaos and thousands more deaths.

In NYC, as in many cities, people wear masks when they travel on subways and buses, and the subway cars and buses are cleaned and disinfected every night.

Just how would you propose that a major metropolitan area survive during this pandemic without mass transit?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
You can’t be serious? Without mass transit, big city hospitals, police, fire departments, supermarkets and drug stores would not be able to operate, leading to chaos and thousands more deaths.

In NYC, as in many cities, people wear masks when they travel on subways and buses, and the subway cars and buses are cleaned and disinfected every night.

Just how would you propose that a major metropolitan area survive during this pandemic without mass transit?

If the virus is spread exponentially by way of rail there will be chaos and thousands of deaths. Cleaning and disinfecting only matters as to touching objects. It doesn't prevent transmission via breathing, talking, sneezing, and coughing, all things that will occur between people in close quarters.

If everyone on the subway wears a quality mask that will help. But does that happen?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Hey. Did you guys hear that Stefanie Dolson says her entire family had COVID-19 ?

Last mention of Stef or her family in the second post of this thread. I get it that nothing much else is going on, but we do have a merged thread on Covid-19.

I admit you all have (so far) done a good job staying this side of politics. Please at least keep it that way.

Thx

Reaction Score

Find another way to work? Like what?

Oldude asks how you would propose that a major metropolitan area survive without mass transit.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Find another way to work? Like what?

Oldude asks how you would propose that a major metropolitan area survive without mass transit.

Will it survive thousands of people clustered together everyday? I didn't say there are easy answers but the environments in those cars are worse versions of airplanes and cruise ships.

Reaction Score
If the virus is spread exponentially by way of rail there will be chaos and thousands of deaths. Cleaning and disinfecting only matters as to touching objects. It doesn't prevent transmission via breathing, talking, sneezing, and coughing, all things that will occur between people in close quarters.

If everyone on the subway wears a quality mask that will help. But does that happen?

Metro North commuter rail has virtually shut down. And even when it was running at a reduced schedule, ridership had been down by 95% for weeks.

The subway is still running, but with few riders. But many transit workers are sick with the virus.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

You have to start with a basic understanding of how a city like New York runs. NYC can not function or even survive without mass transit. So unless you plan to relocate 8 million people, you have to figure out a way to operate mass transit, as well as you can, under the present circumstances.

Cleaning and disinfecting matters a lot, particularly for subway cars. The CDC has conducted fomite studies for Covid-19 on various materials. They have determined that the virus can live up to 3 days on stainless steel. Guess what every subway car in NYC is made of? You can not sit in a seat on a subway, grab hold of a pole or overhead hand support without touching stainless steel.

The people of NYC have been wearing masks, gloves and other protective clothing for weeks, both to protect themselves and others. That is one of the things that I love about New York City. They look out for each other.

I live in upstate NY, and while my wife and I have been wearing masks for weeks, upstate was a little slow to get the message. This past week Gov. Cuomo issued an executive order for the entire state requiring that all New Yorkers wear masks in public when they cannot practice social distancing. I’m happy to report that over the past few days pretty much everyone in upstate NY has now joined our fellow New Yorkers downstate in wearing masks.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Is it any wonder that #floridamorons is trending on social media..,..,

cut_off_florida.gif

I'm fine with this.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Very cute meme but I am guessing any state that opens up their beaches will have an equivalent reaction. :oops:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Cleaning and disinfecting matters a lot, particularly for subway cars. The CDC has conducted fomite studies for Covid-19 on various materials. They have determined that the virus can live up to 3 days on stainless steel. Guess what every subway car in NYC is made of? You can not sit in a seat on a subway, grab hold of a pole or overhead hand support without touching stainless steel.

I'm sure it does mean a lot, but it has no effect on particle transmission through the air. Again, everyone wearing a quality mask will help with that but it's still very dangerous. If this virus was simply a physical transmitter the entire planet would be a hundred times better off right now.

Considering all the businesses and public interactions that have been shutdown I'm surprised that many people are still using the railway anyway.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I mean, NY City has nearly 3x's the deaths from Covid-19 as California, Florida, and Illinois combined. I'd suggest the close proximity of people, including but not limited to things like subways, is a prime reason for this massive disparity.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking you have never been to New York.

Reaction Score
I'm sure it does mean a lot, but it has no effect on particle transmission through the air. Again, everyone wearing a quality mask will help with that but it's still very dangerous. If this virus was simply a physical transmitter the entire planet would be a hundred times better off right now.

Considering all the businesses and public interactions that have been shutdown I'm surprised that many people are still using the railway anyway.
Six million people per day use the subway and another million plus ride the commuter lines. Even if 80% of people stay home, you're still talking about a million people per day riding the trains.

Reaction Score
What makes you think she is immune or not infectious? CDC hasn't determined if prior infected people are immune or can still carry the virus. COVID-19 is some crazy virus that we just know enough about at this time.

It's a virus, once your body develops antibodies you are absolutely immune!

Reaction Score
here's a link to a map that the geography dept at UCONN has put together to show the daily status of the virus in every town in CT

Reaction Score
It's a virus, once your body develops antibodies you are absolutely immune!
So how do people who have had the virus, test negative multiple times and then test positive for the virus? It has reportedly happened in China, South Korea and Japan. I'm not speaking as a virologist, but everything I have read states no one can state with certainty that you can not be re-infected. If you would kindly reference where you read that a person is absolutely immune I would love to read it. Thanks.

Reaction Score
I wonder about posters feelings about NY, NJ, and Connecticut opening up boat yards and marina. And the well publicized (if you look) continued use of Central Park in Manhattan with some having little regard for social distancing or the use of masks.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I wonder about posters feelings about NY, NJ, and Connecticut opening up boat yards and marina. And the well publicized (if you look) continued use of Central Park in Manhattan with some having little regard for social distancing or the use of masks.
Marinas were opened up in the tri-State area under the coordination agreement between the northeastern states. Evidently, CT had not initially shut down their marinas, while NY & NJ had done so, leading to overcrowded marinas in CT when people from NY & NJ were towing their boats to CT. While the opening of marinas is a questionable essential business, all marinas are required to operate under the provisions of social distancing guidelines and everyone is supposed to wear masks, at least until you get your boat far enough away from the dock.

There is a similar problem with golf courses. CT courses are open. NY & NJ are not. CT courses are being overrun with golfers from NY & NJ. I expect a similar coordination between the states on golf courses. One issue with golf courses is that, to the extent that golfers ride in carts, they are required to ride 1 to a cart. Most courses do not have a sufficient number of golf carts to accommodate everyone.

There are literally millions of people living near Central Park, and when you live in a small apartment, sometimes you just have to get out and go for a walk. While it’s difficult to maintain social distancing all the time, just about all of the recent pictures I see show most individuals wearing masks when they walk, run or bike to protect themselves and others. It’s not perfect, but other than a handful of individuals who don’t seem to get it, most New Yorkers are doing a great job.

My wife and I try to hike a nearby park in upstate NY every day. It’s busier than usual, and sometimes it’s difficult to avoid passing close to other people who are hiking. When that happens, either we or the other hikers step to the side of the trail with masks on, until we pass each other. It’s not ideal, but everyone has gotten the message on social distancing and wearing masks when you cannot do so.

On a related note, my wife and I took a drive yesterday along the Mohawk River in upstate NY. There were a bunch of people fishing along the bank of the river. All were spaced apart 6’ or more and they were all wearing masks. I don’t think it mattered very much to the fish. ;)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom