Stefanie Dolson says her entire family had COVID-19 | The Boneyard

Stefanie Dolson says her entire family had COVID-19

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Good luck to you and you family Stefanie.

"This virus has hit pretty close to home," Dolson said. "About a month ago, my whole family and I, we all tested positive for the virus and it hit us pretty hard.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
But, looking at the bright side, Stef is now in the best position of all -- healthy, immune and not infectious. She can go anywhere and be in any crowd without having to worry about catching anything or transmitting anything. In due course, that is probably where most of us will be.

Reaction Score
But, looking at the bright side, Stef is now in the best position of all -- healthy, immune and not infectious. She can go anywhere and be in any crowd without having to worry about catching anything or transmitting anything. In due course, that is probably where most of us will be.
What makes you think she is immune or not infectious? CDC hasn't determined if prior infected people are immune or can still carry the virus. COVID-19 is some crazy virus that we just know enough about at this time.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

My understanding is that it is not medically proven that people who have had the virus are now immune to getting it a second time or even more concerning, that they cant transmit. I am guessing the probabilities go down but risks are still there.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing until i read this article on CNN that says some recovered patients are testing positive post recovery.

Reaction Score
I agree we don't have good data on immunity yet, but...

A less-than-perfectly reliable test can give false negatives. I'm not saying S Korea's tests aren't 100% accurate, but it's a possibility worth considering. We've also learned that the disease can last a few weeks in some people, with symptoms waning and then returning. A false negative during the "remission" phase could look like reinfection.

I'm still hopeful we'll learn that antibodies do prevent reinfection so that a vaccine is possible.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
While it is not certain what type of immunity having been infected by any particular virus grants, if one is infected and survives they are in a better position than never having got it. In an odd twist of fate, during the 1918 pandemic older adults were the least vulnerable cohort, the hypothesis being that a related flu circulating in 1902 had built up antibodies in them. The pandemic ended with people either being dead or immune from having already been infected.

When the measles vaccination began no one over 15 was vaccinated, the reason being that measles was so virulent (ten times that of the flu) that virtually everyone over 15 had caught it and been immunized. The vaccinations were started in the 60s and it was soon discovered that a second vaccination had to occur while young. More recently there have been incidences of adults getting measles, even if they had been vaccinated, and some in the medical community recommend getting vaccinated once as an adult. Yet there virtually is no data as of now to know if an older person remains immune to measles even if vaccinated twice, because the vaccinated are not old enough. We will discover that over the next decade, but meanwhile us infected Baby Boomers can be thanked for our contribution to herd immunity for measles.

I don't want to cause alarm, I suspect twice vaccination will work at any age, but it's clinically proven that there are not as many antibodies built up from vaccination as from having been infected. Even if COVID-19 can be caught twice, it's likely not to be as bad with subsequent infections, for the same reason why people who catch colds a couple times a year usually are not floored by them. Some people may even catch colds without realizing, just as in the asymptomatic cases of COVID-19.

What all this means is that, yes, for Dolson and her family having been infected and survived is good news, even if it's possible to catch again, but they still need to isolate for the sake of others. It also means that while both previously infected and vaccinated people should be OK moving forward, the probabilities favor the previously infected having a little greater protection. I am in social isolation, but if I could perfectly control my fate I would get infected now while I was confident of my immune system, then quarantine myself from people for the duration of the pandemic.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
There is no current evidence to support the "immune and not infectious" claim. It could well be true, but it is too early to make a conclusion. And the really sad part of your post is "that is where most of us will be". It might well be true, but is hardly consolation to those who are not most of us. Your posts are generally very thoughtful, maybe your just tired? :confused:

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing until i read this article on CNN that says some recovered patients are testing positive post recovery.
Important quote from the article for all those saying reinfections can happen:

“She said they had seen coronavirus patients appear to recover and develop antibodies, but there was always the possibility of outliers who did not develop antibodies to the virus. "Those outliers always exist, but right now we don't have (any) evidence that that's a common thing that we see," she said.”

People can always be reinfected by any virus they’ve ever gotten and developed antibodies to. However, the antibodies are typically good at wiping out the virus upon reinfection before it can produce symptoms as severe as the first time. I didn’t see anything in the article that said people that tested positive had the same symptoms or severe/more severe symptoms upon reinfection/retesting positive.

Not saying reinfection isn’t possible or can’t be harmful, but right now it shouldn’t be stated that it’s a good or bad thing to have gotten Covid-19 and made it through alive and well.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
If it was on CNN then it must be true!!!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
That news is at best purely anecdotal and at worse, apocryphal. It is a known fact that there are always outliers when it comes to viral infections, and every year plenty of people get a certain strain of flu then soon after, get it again. It's happen to me. Everyone's immune systems are not the same, and different strains act differently. More than likely, as I've said from the start, the infection rate for this thing is far, far higher in this country than expected. Which is why, as I've said many times, serology tests for antibodies is as or more important that contact tracing.

Antibody study shows COVID-19 rate of infection may be up to 85 times higher than reported

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
More than likely, as I've said from the start, the infection rate for this thing is far, far higher in this country than expected.

Not so sure about that. Everything I've seen suggest infection rate is very low at this point.

Reaction Score
Not so sure about that. Everything I've seen suggest infection rate is very low at this point.
How do you know? Less than one per cent of the population has been tested. If one uses the science of sampling, as pollsters do, the conclusion would be that we have many times the number of cases as has been reported. The same would be true everywhere.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The infection rate is likely much higher. There are a couple of isolated groups where asymptomatic people have been tested as follows:
  • Columbia Presbyterian Hospital tests all pregnant women about to give birth. Out of approximately 230 women, 4 had fever or other symptoms. All 4 had Covid-19. Another 29 who were a symptomatic also tested positive.
  • On the USS Theodore Roosevelt, 4800 sailors were tested. 600 tested positive of which 60% were asymptomatic.
In both instances, the infection rate was 1 in 8. I have also seen estimates of asymptomatic/symptomatic Covid-19 cases as high as 50/1.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is no current evidence to support the "immune and not infectious" claim. It could well be true, but it is too early to make a conclusion. And the really sad part of your post is "that is where most of us will be". It might well be true, but is hardly consolation to those who are not most of us. Your posts are generally very thoughtful, maybe your just tired? :confused:

Yes, I've been reading reports suggesting that immunity might be akin to that acquired after having had the flue, i.e., it will last for a few months, perhaps a year or two. But the body could lose immunity after some period of time. So it's not clear whether, or for how long, that immunity might last.

I've read that South Korean medical authorities are perplexed. They're not certain whether they're detecting the disease having recurred in previous patients, or whether they're simply detecting RNA residue from the disease that is no longer present. The reports suggest that they're investigating, but haven't come to any conclusions.

Reaction Score
How do you know? Less than one per cent of the population has been tested. If one uses the science of sampling, as pollsters do, the conclusion would be that we have many times the number of cases as has been reported. The same would be true everywhere.

Indeed, a recent report from a California county concluded that infection rates could be 50-85X higher than previously detected and suspected. Dr Cartter, Connecticut's chief epidemiologist, has stated that for every positive test, there could be 10-100 times as many people who are infected, but haven't tested positive yet. He stated that every year, between 10-20% of Connecticut residents contract the flu, but most either aren't tested for it, or don't know that they've had it.

What we do know is that the flu doesn't fill hospital rooms and ICU's the way Covid-19 is doing.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Indeed, a recent report from a California county concluded that infection rates could be 50-85X higher than previously detected and suspected.

That study had several flaws, but even if it were accurate it still only figured a 3% infection rate.

The infection rate is likely much higher. There are a couple of isolated groups where asymptomatic people have been tested as follows:
  • Columbia Presbyterian Hospital tests all pregnant women about to give birth. Out of approximately 230 women, 4 had fever or other symptoms. All 4 had Covid-19. Another 29 who were a symptomatic also tested positive.
  • On the USS Theodore Roosevelt, 4800 sailors were tested. 600 tested positive of which 60% were asymptomatic.

You'd expect an enclosed space like a submarine to show massive spreading of the virus. I don't think that can be used to extrapolate for the entire population.

Well, we don't know. It's one of the many significant issues we have in combating the virus. But we supposedly need 60-80% infection rate to achieve herd immunity and we don't seem to be within leagues of that yet.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That study had several flaws, but even if it were accurate it still only figured a 3% infection rate.

You'd expect an enclosed space like a submarine to show massive spreading of the virus. I don't think that can be used to extrapolate for the entire population.

Well, we don't know. It's one of the many significant issues we have in combating the virus. But we supposedly need 60-80% infection rate to achieve herd immunity and we don't seem to be within leagues of that yet.
The Theodore Roosevelt is not a submarine. It’s an aircraft carrier. But I understand your point. I included that example as an indicator of the high percentage (60%) of asymptomatic cases. Even more illustrative is the Columbia Presbyterian study of pregnant women, who are no more likely than the general population to catch the virus. Here again, 1 in 8 have the virus with over 80% asymptomatic.

Reaction Score
Beach at Jackson, FL, Friday after the Governor allowed re-opening of the beaches. Friday also happened to be the day 1400 new COVID-19 cases were diagnosed in FL, its largest daily number yet, as the virus is full-on peaking there. SMH...

1587318516290.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom