Stef Dolson in the WNBA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stef Dolson in the WNBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Stef will go in the top 6, probably higher depends a little on team needs and how the draft order shakes out. There's a premium on size in the WNBA that only increased with Griner entering the WNBA. She may not be viewed as a potential star, but she will be valued for the way her high offensive skill level will complement a team's existing star players, particularly with her shooting range and passing ability. Just about any team could draft her, but of the teams likely to be in position to draft her the Seattle Storm would be a good fit because they run offense through their posts and may be in position to draft her with Lauren and Sue sitting out this season.

Otherwise some of the best fits are better teams. If the Connecticut Sun end up in the bottom 6 then I could see them drafting yet another UConn player, but Stef would be the big true center they lack and Stef could play on the floor with Tina because of her shooting range and her ability to feed Tina in the post. She fits San Antonio's style of offense. She would be ideal in Minnesota because of the way they play through their post players, but Minnesota would have to figure out a way to trade up unless something weird happens with their season. San Antonio is a decent fit in that they value skilled post players.
Completely agree! I think she is a top five pick with her skills. She will be even better at the next level. Stef took a beating from every team this year. I predict a monster seasson for her, now that defenses will not be able to pack the lane. They were raving about KB last week?

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I fully concur. The fit between Griner and Phoenix is beautiful both ways. She's just right for the Mercury, and the Mercury are just right for her. They've finally filled their donut hole with a big that can run the court with the rest of them. She's not only going to be freed from the constant double-and-triple-teaming of college, but will be surrounded by players who can both create for her and for themselves. Players like Taurasi, Taylor and bonner on the floor are going to create great scoring opportunities for Griner.

Going back to the original topic, Seattle was mentioned and that would be a great opportunity for Stef to work her way into the lineup in a great learning environment. It seems Canbage is all done with Tulsa, that's a situation where she could walk in as the starter from day one. Both likely to be lottery teams. People have mentioned the Sun, but center is one of the few positions the Sun are solid at, they have other needs to fill (although they may end up drafting for the other position they have set, PG, but there are non-basketball reasons the Sun owners might want Shoni Schimmel.) We have yet to see how McCarville works out with Minnesota, but Stef brings many of the same strengths as Janel, with an additional 3 or 4 inches in height.
Great insight!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Completely agree! I think she is a top five pick with her skills. She will be even better at the next level. Stef took a beating from every team this year. I predict a monster seasson for her, now that defenses will not be able to pack the lane. They were raving about KB last week?
Stef is an order of magnitude better than Kelsey Bone.

Reaction Score
I think we'll have to wait and see how next season plays out. She had a great year this year and this next season she should improve.

Reaction Score
Stef needs to get more mobile. I'm not talking about running up and down the court. I'm talking about quickness. There are drills that will improve her foot speed. She needs to be quicker to the ball, especially on rebounds.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Stef needs to get more mobile. I'm not talking about running up and down the court. I'm talking about quickness. There are drills that will improve her foot speed. She needs to be quicker to the ball, especially on rebounds.
Sorry, this just isn't true.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
And I think individual numbers in rebounding are frequently meaningless. Rebounding is a team effort and except for a few exceptionally good rebounders and a few exceptionally bad rebounders all rebounds are team stats. Most rebounds are defensive rebounds and boxing out offensive players is more important than actually claiming the rebound. And failure to box out is the main reason a team gives up an offensive rebound. The fact that a teammate gets a defensive rebound a sign that you have done your job correctly.
Offensive rebounds are more often a result of individual prowess.

Couldn't agree with this more. I can recall several times I've watched under the basketball, see a ball coming off the rim, and see a UConn player, not going for the ball, but backing away. A fraction of a second's perplexity, then I see she is effectively boxing out a good rebounder for the other team. The ball hits the floor, and is scooped up by a different UConn player who gets the credit for the rebound.

I wonder if someone on the bench keeps track of effective box outs. I'm sure they've been doing them for years, but I've noticed it more this year.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Couldn't agree with this more. I can recall several times I've watched under the basketball, see a ball coming off the rim, and see a UConn player, not going for the ball, but backing away. A fraction of a second's perplexity, then I see she is effectively boxing out a good rebounder for the other team. The ball hits the floor, and is scooped up by a different UConn player who gets the credit for the rebound.

I wonder if someone on the bench keeps track of effective box outs. I'm sure they've been doing them for years, but I've noticed it more this year.
I notice that all the time, Phil. It is one of Stef's best fundamentals.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Stef will be a very high choice. She's not into the pros for the MONEY. She doesn't allow enemy
post players to BREATHE, but keeps them ON THE RUN to the extent that opponents will often call TIME-out and may think they have BRAIN DAMAGE. She keeps a strong perspective of US AND THEM, that will ECLIPSE what other centers have done.. She'll do well on any team, wearing ANY COLOUR YOU LIKE.

With Stef, everything under the sun is in tune for her to achieve greatness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom