Stef Dolson in the WNBA | The Boneyard

Stef Dolson in the WNBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Just curious how people who follow the WNBA more closely than I do think she'll do as a pro. Where will she be drafted? How effective will she be? On what team or teams do you think she'd be the best fit?

Discuss.

Reaction Score
First Round. Probably mid to late 1st. I've seen people say she's a lottery pick...not sure about that, but possible.

Picks for the playoffs
West: Phx, LA, Minnesota...(SA or Tulsa?)
East looks a bit closer, not sure who will make/miss playoffs... Conn, Indiana, NY, Chicago, Atlanta

SA/Tulsa/Indiana/Minnesota are in needs of C. So, possibly one of the 4. Maybe LA? If they give up on Lavender.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Her toughness by playing injured helped her draft position as long as she comes back completely healthy and able to play without any stress injuries. Needs to improve her rebounding if she hopes to have a long career.

Reaction Score
Stef will go in the top 6, probably higher depends a little on team needs and how the draft order shakes out. There's a premium on size in the WNBA that only increased with Griner entering the WNBA. She may not be viewed as a potential star, but she will be valued for the way her high offensive skill level will complement a team's existing star players, particularly with her shooting range and passing ability. Just about any team could draft her, but of the teams likely to be in position to draft her the Seattle Storm would be a good fit because they run offense through their posts and may be in position to draft her with Lauren and Sue sitting out this season.

Otherwise some of the best fits are better teams. If the Connecticut Sun end up in the bottom 6 then I could see them drafting yet another UConn player, but Stef would be the big true center they lack and Stef could play on the floor with Tina because of her shooting range and her ability to feed Tina in the post. She fits San Antonio's style of offense. She would be ideal in Minnesota because of the way they play through their post players, but Minnesota would have to figure out a way to trade up unless something weird happens with their season. San Antonio is a decent fit in that they value skilled post players.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Way too early.

Can't predict the needs, can't predict who will finish where, and don't know how her stock will be affected by how she plays next year - obviously, one expects increased positives, but you truly never know.

Reaction Score
Stef is a highly skilled player but not such a great rebounder so she'll be most effective on a team that got great rebounding forwards. She'll have no problem on offense as her mid range shooting (all the way out to the 3 point line) and passing skills as well as her post-up moves being able to go over either shoulder will ensure her a long career in the WNBA.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Griner wasn't a 'great rebounder' because she tried to block every shot and that took her out of position. Stef is not a great offensive rebounder because she spends a lot of her offensive time at the free throw line extended so she is out of position. But she isn't bad at blocking out defensively which allows the guards and forwards to grab some of her 'rebounds.'
Given health and a continued excellence in play, she should be the first center take in next years draft and that likely means lottery and fairly high lottery. She has a very well rounded and developed game with good post moves and range to the three point line. She is perhaps the best passer for a post player that has entered the WNBA in years. Defensively she is solid - not a big shot blocker, but a good defender, and certainly not a liability except if she is drawn too far from the basket (which is a weakness for most players 6'5"+.)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I continue to be amazed at those labeling Stef as not being a good rebounder and who consider that to be the chief characteristic of a post player.

Stef is a solid rebounder and a good rebounder but not necessarily a great rebounder. She has solid fundamentals boxing out on the boards sometimes keeping two players occupied. She keeps balls active even when she can't gather them often directing them to teammates. During the tournament run she had consecutive 10 rebound games in limited minutes on legs that would keep many players off the court.

There are few players that have Stef's game offensively. She has excellent range and no one passes as well as her out of the post. As usual Scotter's assessment is spot on.

Another asset that Stef can bring to any team is a personality that can be gold for the marketing department.

Reaction Score
I think she'll go in the top half of the first round.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I think top half of first, but for some reason I wonder if she'll want to play. Too soon to tell, but she seems to me to be an amazingly versatile person, you know, the kind that might really surprise us...Teach for America, Saturday Night Live, I dunno. I think she is incredibly talented, with many many gifts.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Griner wasn't a 'great rebounder' because she tried to block every shot and that took her out of position. Stef is not a great offensive rebounder because she spends a lot of her offensive time at the free throw line extended so she is out of position. But she isn't bad at blocking out defensively which allows the guards and forwards to grab some of her 'rebounds.'
Given health and a continued excellence in play, she should be the first center take in next years draft and that likely means lottery and fairly high lottery. She has a very well rounded and developed game with good post moves and range to the three point line. She is perhaps the best passer for a post player that has entered the WNBA in years. Defensively she is solid - not a big shot blocker, but a good defender, and certainly not a liability except if she is drawn too far from the basket (which is a weakness for most players 6'5"+.)

UcMiami, I have been saying the same about Griner for some time. She was never a good rebounder due to the fact that she patrolled the lane on defense and was generally surrounded by two to three players on offense, as well as taking the majority of the team's shots. I predict that her rebounding numbers will be much better in the WNBA where she sill get more man-to-man defense. I think her overall game is going to wow everyone since she will have much more freedom of movement. Plus, she will probably not be taking the majority of the shots with players like DT and PT around her, so she will be hitting glass a lot more.

I think that Dolson will be one of the "3-2-c" in her class. She is very good around the rim with both hands and she is a big 6-5. She seems to enjoy her time on the court more than any other UConn player so I can't imagine her not wanting to be part of a team environment in the WNBA. And the WNBA needs more players like her who have a fun personality. She would be great in the community in working with the youth of whichever city she goes to. I would draft her in a heartbeat.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I continue to be amazed at those labeling Stef as not being a good rebounder and who consider that to be the chief characteristic of a post player.

Stef is a solid rebounder and a good rebounder but not necessarily a great rebounder. She has solid fundamentals boxing out on the boards sometimes keeping two players occupied. She keeps balls active even when she can't gather them often directing them to teammates. During the tournament run she had consecutive 10 rebound games in limited minutes on legs that would keep many players off the court.
I agree. I mean she was the leading rebounder on the National Championship team. Not toooooo shabby.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno weighed in yesterday when discussing Stef resting this summer: "She’s going to be a high (WNBA) draft choice,’’ Auriemma said. “I don’t think that’s any issue. I just want her to be healthy."

There just aren't that many 6-5 players with her skills in the WNBA. She'll be drafted in the top half of the 1st round and should have a very nice WNBA career.

Reaction Score
UcMiami, I have been saying the same about Griner for some time. She was never a good rebounder due to the fact that she patrolled the lane on defense and was generally surrounded by two to three players on offense, as well as taking the majority of the team's shots. I predict that her rebounding numbers will be much better in the WNBA where she sill get more man-to-man defense. I think her overall game is going to wow everyone since she will have much more freedom of movement. Plus, she will probably not be taking the majority of the shots with players like DT and PT around her, so she will be hitting glass a lot more.

I think that Dolson will be one of the "3-2-c" in her class. She is very good around the rim with both hands and she is a big 6-5. She seems to enjoy her time on the court more than any other UConn player so I can't imagine her not wanting to be part of a team environment in the WNBA. And the WNBA needs more players like her who have a fun personality. She would be great in the community in working with the youth of whichever city she goes to. I would draft her in a heartbeat.

I fully concur. The fit between Griner and Phoenix is beautiful both ways. She's just right for the Mercury, and the Mercury are just right for her. They've finally filled their donut hole with a big that can run the court with the rest of them. She's not only going to be freed from the constant double-and-triple-teaming of college, but will be surrounded by players who can both create for her and for themselves. Players like Taurasi, Taylor and bonner on the floor are going to create great scoring opportunities for Griner.

Going back to the original topic, Seattle was mentioned and that would be a great opportunity for Stef to work her way into the lineup in a great learning environment. It seems Canbage is all done with Tulsa, that's a situation where she could walk in as the starter from day one. Both likely to be lottery teams. People have mentioned the Sun, but center is one of the few positions the Sun are solid at, they have other needs to fill (although they may end up drafting for the other position they have set, PG, but there are non-basketball reasons the Sun owners might want Shoni Schimmel.) We have yet to see how McCarville works out with Minnesota, but Stef brings many of the same strengths as Janel, with an additional 3 or 4 inches in height.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Going back to the original topic, Seattle was mentioned and that would be a great opportunity for Stef to work her way into the lineup in a great learning environment. It seems Canbage is all done with Tulsa, that's a situation where she could walk in as the starter from day one. Both likely to be lottery teams. People have mentioned the Sun, but center is one of the few positions the Sun are solid at, they have other needs to fill (although they may end up drafting for the other position they have set, PG, but there are non-basketball reasons the Sun owners might want Shoni Schimmel.) We have yet to see how McCarville works out with Minnesota, but Stef brings many of the same strengths as Janel, with an additional 3 or 4 inches in height.
Nice analysis of the WNBA teams - I have to say I do not wish Tulsa on any player. That has been a disaster of a franchise. I hope things change with more continuity and Diggins, but ...
I do think Stef may be as good at publicity as Diggins - she has such an 'infectious' personality. Hard to see her and not smile.

ETT - nice posts. Sorry Stef is coming back for her senior year!
And I think individual numbers in rebounding are frequently meaningless. Rebounding is a team effort and except for a few exceptionally good rebounders and a few exceptionally bad rebounders all rebounds are team stats. Most rebounds are defensive rebounds and boxing out offensive players is more important than actually claiming the rebound. And failure to box out is the main reason a team gives up an offensive rebound. The fact that a teammate gets a defensive rebound a sign that you have done your job correctly.
Offensive rebounds are more often a result of individual prowess.

Reaction Score
I have heard experts such as Doris Burke say Stef will average a double / double next year ! Stef will go top 5, no doubt about it !

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

There are few players that have Stef's game offensively. She has excellent range and no one passes as well as her out of the post. As usual Scotter's assessment is spot on.

Another asset that Stef can bring to any team is a personality that can be gold for the marketing department.

Ice, I was thinking the same thing, reading the thread. She's an excellent rebounder and her jumping ability is much improved

Reaction Score
I see Chiney and Sims going ahead of her (Stef).

Don't really watch Maryland, and whenever I see her, Thomas has not impressed. However, with Mincey and Moseley coming back, she can hopefully go back to the wing position. But, Thomas seems to be hyped as a Top 3/lottery pick.

Then you have players like Chelsea Gray, nice size for a PG, and PG's are a premium in the W. I think McBride will put up HUGE numbers next year, and as we seen, can create her own shot (a huge +), so she's a potential lottery pick too. Hartley, if she is healthy/goes back to AA play can go before Steph. Heck, if Schimmel can continue to improve her fitness, and improve her decision making could go very high as well (don't think she will, but she has the talent too IMO). Next year looks to be a nice deep draft IMO. Anyone else I am forgetting? Maggie Lucas?

Obviously, a lot can change.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Stef will go early, top 5-6. I think Chiney goes first. Then, depending on the team, Gray, Thomas, Dolson, Sims in some order.

Stef has several assets. First, she is very big. Not Chiney big, not Tina big. Nearly Griner big. Second, she has learned to play hard. Third, she has great hands and footwork. Fourth, very importantly, she can shoot. She will not likely be Lauren Jackson, but she has the same size and shooting ability. She can shoot 40% or so from the arc and 80%+ from the line. Stef has made herself into a very, very good player.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I do think the class is fairly strong at the top, but ... as long as she is healthy all year - she will be the #1 post player, may well lead the league in field goal percentage (she was at the near there this year), will have more assists than any non-point guard, will probably be the leading rebounder, and will be averaging around 16 pts/gm. And she will have been a winner - 1 NC and 3 FF and still counting.
More than one of the lottery teams will be looking for a center and she is going to be the only game in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom