Stealing a loss from the jaws of victory | The Boneyard

Stealing a loss from the jaws of victory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can't believe what I just watched. We had the friggin game in the bag, all we needed was to run something, instead we turned it over and over and over and over. Bunch of good players on their own but they absolutely suck at playing together, this reflects poorly on Ollie. Too many offensively talented players for us not to be running any offense, I don't get it. Don't even know what to say about Hamilton anymore, he's 17-77 in the last 7 games.

Reaction Score
Can't believe what I just watched. We had the friggin game in the bag, all we needed was to run something, instead we turned it over and over and over and over. Bunch of good players on their own but they absolutely suck at playing together, this reflects poorly on Ollie. Too many offensively talented players for us not to be running any offense, I don't get it. Don't even know what to say about Hamilton anymore, he's 17-77 in the last 7 games.

Hamilton is just a maddening player. Offensively he takes terrible shots, is a ball stopper, and tries to do too much. Yet, he is far and away the best passer on the team as well as the most talented. I feel like he has been given so much leeway that he has no concept of playing solid basketball anymore. He racks up assists, but in between those assists are forced passes, bail outs (because he always leaves his feet), and ill-advised shots that he was not prepared to take. He is actually selfishly unselfish. He's like Carmelo. When they get the ball, the ball is going to stall for quite a bit. Unlike Melo, DHam is looking to pass. The defense knows he's looking to pass and more often than not DHam scores as a second option. DHam puts up a "complete" statline, but it is a max effort line. That's not always such a good thing.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Give them a talented, experienced point guard, and I think you'd be shocked. They've got a senior 2guard and a freshman combo and a sophomore 3 running the point now.

Reaction Score
Hamilton is just a maddening player. Offensively he takes terrible shots, is a ball stopper, and tries to do too much. Yet, he is far and away the best passer on the team as well as the most talented. I feel like he has been given so much leeway that he has no concept of playing solid basketball anymore. He racks up assists, but in between those assists are forced passes, bail outs (because he always leaves his feet), and ill-advised shots that he was not prepared to take. He is actually selfishly unselfish. He's like Carmelo. When they get the ball, the ball is going to stall for quite a bit. Unlike Melo, DHam is looking to pass. The defense knows he's looking to pass and more often than not DHam scores as a second option. DHam puts up a "complete" statline, but it is a max effort line. That's not always such a good thing.
That's exactly how I feel about his game. He's by far our most talented player but he is loaded with bad habits. He is the classic giveth and taketh away player, we have a couple of those guys.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The problem with Hamilton is that this team simply isn't formed properly. There are talented players but the components as a whole are non-functional. I don't care how versatile you are, you can not win with zero real point guards. A 6'7" small forward with an inconsistent offensive game handling the ball the majority of the time is a recipe for disaster. Mix in a cast of one-dimensional players who don't seem to have a solid grasp on what to do when the ball gets to them and you have this team before us. Basically need to win out from this point on, and we all know that's not happening.

Reaction Score
The problem with Hamilton is that this team simply isn't formed properly. There are talented players but the components as a whole are non-functional. I don't care how versatile you are, you can not win with zero real point guards. A 6'7" small forward with an inconsistent offensive game handling the ball the majority of the time is a recipe for disaster. Mix in a cast of one-dimensional players who don't seem to have a solid grasp on what to do when the ball gets to them and you have this team before us. Basically need to win out from this point on, and we all know that's not happening.

Problem is if he just made a few shots we would not even be having this conversation. There's a lid on it for him and he needs to figure out how to get rid of it, no one else can help him but himself.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
And
Rodney is 13-52 Over the last five games. It is really difficult to win when your two best offensive players are mired in that deep of a slump

Reaction Score
Problem is if he just made a few shots we would not even be having this conversation. There's a lid on it for him and he needs to figure out how to get rid of it, no one else can help him but himself.

While I agree with you in theory, we might have to admit that he's just not a good shooter. He was 38/34/67 last year and 37/32/86 this year. So other than the free throws, he's basically the same shooter as last year. DHam would be fantastic as your Scottie Pippen. A guy who does a little bit of everything, but is not someone who is your go-to guy.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It goes back to the fact that:
1. There is no point guard established to control the game - SG is only a 2 guard, JA doesnt see enough playing time and Purv isnt either a 1 or a 2, just a freak athlete
2. With the ball in his hand 65% of the time DHam isnt playing the 3 position but he is the best handler right now.
3. The team does not have a true 5 - even when AB is in he doesn't have the offense. KF is too small and should be backing SM at the 4.
4. SM still hasnt figured out how to play a true college 4, defensively or offensively.

The biggest flaw is that this team lacks an on court leader. I think KO better be looking at that attribute HEAVILY when recruiting in the future. This team is a riderless, runaway horse.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Give them a talented, experienced point guard, and I think you'd be shocked. They've got a senior 2guard and a freshman combo and a sophomore 3 running the point now.
This is exactly the point. Trying to compensate for what just is not there. Lot's (tons) of talent but a rudderless ship. Think this is why defense and transition is so important;
leads to easy baskets.

Reaction Score
They are in slumps because they take terrible shots.

Purvis constantly misses bunnies because he goes to the basket without clue what he will do when he gets there. I like that he is aggressive and forces the action. But he constantly loses the ball on the way up or just sort of flings the ball at the basket/backboard.

Hamilton rushes into the middle looking to pass and shoots as a last resort. Often he is playing against two or three defenders.

The common thread is they both play out of control. Both are good shooters who make themselves in bad shooters because they play too fast and have no idea what they are going to do next. It really is KO's job to figure out what they do well and get them in a position to do it. Marcus Williams is not coming through that door so we really need to stop crying about point guards and move the freaking basketball.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I hope DHam dribbles behind his back in the lane more often. Rodney is an enigma wrapped in a guy who can't finish at the bucket. Color commentator referred to Phillip Nolan as "athletic" last night. I don't know if it was before or after he had his third bunny rejected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom