OT: - Staying positive: Finest-ever telescope mission launched | The Boneyard

OT: Staying positive: Finest-ever telescope mission launched

Reaction Score
Hi,

The 10 billion dollar "Webb" telescope is headed for its home at a Lagrange point--a place were the gravity of the different bodies (Sun, Earth, moon, etc.) cancels, so it can just sit there. Today, the primary mirror was deployed--actually unfolded.

So far, so excellent. Everything has deployed perfectly. The scientists and engineers need months of checking and calibrating before data retrieval starts.

This mission will be really huge for cosmologists and astrophysicists. I won't get into the technical details, but this is state of the art science.

There is a lot of negative in the word, and in particular in the "Geno world," as it were: too many injuries, too much COVID, etc.

This mission is an incredible positive.

I thought I would share.

And, despite the difficulty, I think Musk will land people on Mars in my lifetime--I am in my late 60's. We shall see.

Reaction Score
The last time I felt this excited for a space mission was the Cassini mission to Saturn and it's moon Titan a couple decades back. Not only for the amazing science but the jaw-dropping images. Barring something unlucky I think we'll see a similar huge improvement in the images of space beyond the solar system with Webb.

Speaking of luck, or rather: leaving nothing to chance. There's a fabulous interview with the lead scientist for Webb discussing the meticulous design, planning, testing and review used to give the observatory the best chance to perform as designed parked a million miles away.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Funny, when I saw the title, I thought there was an underlying joke

To see something positive, you need the best Telescope ever made. :oops:

Reaction Score
After all the delays, finally seeing Webb launch and successfully unfold is good news indeed. Webb will provide data for a generation of astronomers and theoretical physicists. Getting Webb up (literally) and running is a feat of good old engineering. Good job!!

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Are there any better ways to spend 10 billion dollars??

Reaction Score
I've been following Webb for years, and with xtra intensity since it was launched on Christmas Day. It has the potential to see further back into the universe, as it monitors the IR spectrum, where as Hubble, as fantastic as it was, pretty much was only able to view visible light.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The 10 billion dollar "Webb" telescope
Thank you! It is exciting! Is NASA planning to initially download data on July 4th? Hey, why not! :) Lines up with 6 months reasonable well.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Webb has been a long time coming. In the mid-90's my neighbor was working on materials for the mirror. We had some long talks over the fence about possible materials. Their goal was to make the petals MUCH thinner than they were eventually made, but they did make the unfolding mirror as originally planned, which is pretty cool.

Reaction Score
The primary mirror was deployed perfectly yesterday. Everything is a go. Now comes the calibrations and testing.

First data in June. This is really huge. Physics runs on data--observation in the older days, and now very, very complex experimentation/data collection.

The astrophysicists and cosmologists must be in heaven. Good for them.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
I follow Dr. Becky on youtube. She's one of the many astrophysicists that will benefit greatly in terms of research from the Webb telescope. Here is her update on the project for those interested:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Astronomers are finding an average of 3 exoplanets per day now with the total upwards of 4000 to date. Getting a close look at these planets, especially those in the goldilocks zone, would be an astonishing feat.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Probably not. 10 billion isn't what it used to be in this day of a trillion here, a trillion there....
Is this an update to Senator Everett Dirksen's quote: “A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking real money?" :) Of course Dirksen's supporters claim the quote is apocryphal.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Astronomers are finding an average of 3 exoplanets per day now with the total upwards of 4000 to date. Getting a close look at these planets, especially those in the goldilocks zone, would be an astonishing feat.
Yes, planets in the Goldilocks Zone would be most interesting to examine for intelligent life. Spending billions to search for microbial life forms is a waste. Spend the billions on searching for intelligent life and objects in space to be mined for rare minerals and elements to support the digital age. Hopefully these objects will be mined with a nice ROI.

Reaction Score
Great to know there are more space geeks like me here! :D

This has been incredible to watch- so many, many delays in construction and then launching. I was wondering if it would ever get into space and if it did, would it work. So far everything has gone to plan.

Major props to all worked and are working on it. Can't wait to see what Webb finds out there!:)

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I predict the very first image received will be the Webb telescope looking back at the Webb telescope.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yes, planets in the Goldilocks Zone would be most interesting to examine for intelligent life. Spending billions to search for microbial life forms is a waste. Spend the billions on searching for intelligent life and objects in space to be mined for rare minerals and elements to support the digital age. Hopefully these objects will be mined with a nice ROI.
The deal is we don't need to search very hard for where to mine for rare metals since almost every asteroid has them. Remember, gold, platinum and all other rare metals are not innate to the planet. They all come from asteroids. That is why Bezos and Musk want to get to space. Mining those asteroids are for private industry, not NASA.

Reaction Score
I remember the first Hubble pics I said whatever this cost it was worth it I hope Webb can do the same

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom