Stay in the Big East: UConn/UMass Football Only to the MAC and have 6 home games | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Stay in the Big East: UConn/UMass Football Only to the MAC and have 6 home games

Reaction Score
]

It's a matter of perception, you view joining a G5 conference as a step down from independence, I see it as an improvement. We wanted to keep football in the AAC but they told us to get lost.

We could be the Big Fish in the MAC, as an independent we are beggars on the street for games and scheduling is getting tougher not easier.

I bet Mora would be very interested in competing for that G5 auto-bid vs the alternative of having no shot at it. Willie Fritz received a ton of publicity this year.

Willie Fritz also turned down Gtech to stay at Tulane, winning games has its reward.
The AAC was a much better conference than the MAC then. It made sense to stay if they’d allow it. I don’t think their decision to force our hand was at all unexpected.

Reaction Score
I think independence is working out well for UConn.

I think the MAC is a good conference…and honestly, Temple and UMass should be there in all sports.

Totally fair.

Reaction Score
I wonder what espn would pay the mac… adding Army, Uconn and Umass…. They contract ends in 2026… I could see a eastern division of Army Uconn Umass and Buffalo
If the MAC somehow got Army and UConn on board, it would seem to imply $$ was decent. In that case the conference would seemingly also have their pick of Temple, Marshall, ODU, Delaware, etc to fill out an eastern division.... But hard to imagine a world where UConn says yes unless Big 12 and ACC fully cement their memberships.

Reaction Score
If the MAC somehow got Army and UConn on board, it would seem to imply $$ was decent. In that case the conference would seemingly also have their pick of Temple, Marshall, ODU, Delaware, etc to fill out an eastern division.... But hard to imagine a world where UConn says yes unless Big 12 and ACC fully cement their memberships.
Mora has said that because we are not playing for a conference championship… that he must find a different way to motivate the team…i agree … that a lot of things would have to fall in place for us to join the mac… the money would have to be a lot better and eastern teams would have to be added… but with those things added… that wouldn’t be that bad of deal

Reaction Score
The home schedule actually improves, I'm eliminating the FCS opponent. What this really shows is how much we overrate our independent scheduling.

Except this isn't the case overall....

1) No program eliminates it's gimme win against an FCS opponent.
2) The schedule you posted eliminates @Duke and @ Wake so you just killed P5 home games in future seasons (well actually the Duke home game is this year, so you just cost UConn the buy out and any chance of scheduling them home/home in the future; as well as risking the kind of distrust that you really can't have if you ever hope to get your home game first (and/or not canceled) in a future home/home)

You can't knock out the P5 road games without knocking out future, desirable games at home in the future or the revenue from the buy game. It's not that simple.

Reaction Score
Mora has said that because we are not playing for a conference championship… that he must find a different way to motivate the team…i agree … that a lot of things would have to fall in place for us to join the mac… the money would have to be a lot better and eastern teams would have to be added… but with those things added… that wouldn’t be that bad of deal

That's a lot of conditions but to play along (first if you hated the FIU broadcast.. well MAC Football is also an on campus production, so you're looking at those costs for UConn to build out the production of the non-network games and that level of TV quality on road matchups):

1.) How much more do you think that UConn & UMass add to the value of the MAC conference deal? The current MAC deal that runs through 2027 pays each school ~$670k for all sports. They'll likely get a bump (C-USA's new deal is around $800k for all sports) // UConn currently makes $500k for football alone. The current MAC deal or even an expanded one is unlikely to provide that kind of material increase in payment to make up for losing a Saturday game to Tuesday night or sacrificing P5 home/homes.

2.) What better or Eastern teams do you see available to the MAC? Currently they sit 10th on an 11 conference pecking order. The teams they were interested in aren't interested in them. WKU & MTSU almost happened, MTSU eventually decided to stay in C-USA just in case the AAC comes calling. Those teams aren't going to materially increase the payout either.

It's like saying a lot of things would have to fall in place to marry <insert supermodel name here> I'd have to make a lot more money and have a much nicer home.. but if that happened it wouldn't be a bad deal.

Reaction Score
That's a lot of conditions but to play along (first if you hated the FIU broadcast.. well MAC Football is also an on campus production, so you're looking at those costs for UConn to build out the production of the non-network games and that level of TV quality on road matchups):

1.) How much more do you think that UConn & UMass add to the value of the MAC conference deal? The current MAC deal that runs through 2027 pays each school ~$670k for all sports. They'll likely get a bump (C-USA's new deal is around $800k for all sports) // UConn currently makes $500k for football alone. The current MAC deal or even an expanded one is unlikely to provide that kind of material increase in payment to make up for losing a Saturday game to Tuesday night or sacrificing P5 home/homes.

2.) What better or Eastern teams do you see available to the MAC? Currently they sit 10th on an 11 conference pecking order. The teams they were interested in aren't interested in them. WKU & MTSU almost happened, MTSU eventually decided to stay in C-USA just in case the AAC comes calling. Those teams aren't going to materially increase the payout either.

It's like saying a lot of things would have to fall in place to marry <insert supermodel name here> I'd have to make a lot more money and have a much nicer home.. but if that happened it wouldn't be a bad deal.
Ok, came back and took a look at the comments and mostly as expected. Yes the main thing is access to the CFP, but as others have mentioned is much too early as need to see the PAC12 and the ripple shakeout. Forget about the media deal as that 10M is for full members and would think there could be a like increase so the per MAC team would not take a hit. Remember, the MAC cares more about stability and finances. The bump up in media money would help offset some of the losses with sharing the CFP money with 2 additional teams.

CFP money and access to the championship and to some extent other little things as playing for a championship, being the big dog and winning are worth mentioning. The teams that are weak in football do have a very solid reputation in basketball as talking about Kent State and Akron. The other teams are not bad G5 teams with reduced travel expenses for 100 players, coaches, analyst, medical etc staff. (UMass, Buffalo, Ohio, and Miami - other teams in the east). Ya the west, like Toledo and a random Michigan team that changes with the rise and fall of teams as coaches move on. The others very indifferent and understand the prefer for some P5 challenges, so get it. (The west teams and depending who would be that 1 or 2 P5 teams that would be missed being in the MAC.)

This late spring summer shakeout needs to happen. Take care and as said early will occasionally stop by.

PS> Like your views of playing P5 teams being rock steady, for the same reason down play the possibility of the AAC and ACC. You left the AAC and sure they are butt hurt over it and you did sue the ACC when Boston College was poached. Those two are probably a little butt hurt over that as well.

The key question has a few different thoughts, will you ever be good enough to make the CFP but denied being an Indy and is playing the P5 mostly on the road or as Syracuse on a neutral site more consistently a ok? My gut tells me the later is yes, but not sure about the administration and coaching staff present and future.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Granted I haven't read all of the comments, but is this even a realistic proposition or a waste of bandwidth?

Has the fact that UMass was already a Football-only in the MAC and chose to kick rocks when the conference gave them the, "all sports or nothing," ultimatum?

Reaction Score
UConn football in 2023 being undefeated going to Tennesse will change the narrative as to who wants UConn football.

Reaction Score
Granted I haven't read all of the comments, but is this even a realistic proposition or a waste of bandwidth?

Has the fact that UMass was already a Football-only in the MAC and chose to kick rocks when the conference gave them the, "all sports or nothing," ultimatum?
Will say it's very possible with UConn and no without UConn.

Their tune has been evolving and did do a heavy pimp job. What seems to impress them the most is our long standing rivalry with 76 games and counting. Here is a link where I stated most of the changes since 2015 on our exit from the MAC and the thread continues and will quote a few.
Mac Board Thread on Subject

Basically in the next page of the thread said, if ESPN thinks their is value and bumps up the contract, they could understand why the MAC might speak to UConn and UMass. It is not about preconceived value but real value assessed by ESPN.

Liked this quote and have to think with ESPN HQ in Conn they would like a piece of the UConn sports.
Agree with you here it's fun to speculate on who we think will be best but end of the day we answer to daddy ESPN

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Their tune has been evolving and did do a heavy pimp job. What seems to impress them the most is our long standing rivalry with 76 games and counting. Here is a link where I stated most of the changes since 2015 on our exit from the MAC and the thread continues and will quote a few.

Basically in the next page of the thread said, if ESPN thinks their is value and bumps up the contract, they could understand why the MAC might speak to UConn and UMass. It is not about preconceived value but real value assessed by ESPN.

Liked this quote and have to think with ESPN HQ in Conn they would like a piece of the UConn sports.
Thank you for your interest in University of Connecticut athletics.

Reaction Score

Go Away No GIF by HBO Max

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
ESPN had a piece of UConn sports. They had ALL of UConn Sports and saw fit to relegate it to ESPN+ behind a paywall. Then they, along with the conference, dropped the cost for production on the schools.

1678822873985.png

Reaction Score
Just to play devil's advocate here... as I do think the move to the Big East/Independence has proven to be the correct move. Is there an argument to be made that had UConn established itself as having a devoted following capable of moving significant streaming numbers for the Tier 3 content (i.e. Women's Basketball, November men's games, Baseball, etc) they would be more valuable to conferences as they confront a future where TV deals will have a significant streaming component?

Reaction Score
Just to play devil's advocate here... as I do think the move to the Big East/Independence has proven to be the correct move. Is there an argument to be made that had UConn established itself as having a devoted following capable of moving significant streaming numbers for the Tier 3 content (i.e. Women's Basketball, November men's games, Baseball, etc) they would be more valuable to conferences as they confront a future where TV deals will have a significant streaming component?
I wonder if this is the purpose of UConn +. I posted about this earlier:
UNIVERSITY TO LAUNCH UCONN+ STREAMING DIGITAL NETWORK

A FIRST-OF-ITS-KIND IN COLLEGE ATHLETICS TO COMBINE LIVE AND ORIGINAL CONTENT, UCONN+ WILL PROVIDE FANS 24/7 ACCESS TO FEATURED CONTENT, LIVE EVENTS AND INSTITUTIONAL CONTENT IN COLLABORATION WITH LEARFIELD STUDIOS AND SIDEARM SPORTS

How does UConn have the money to do this? Did they do this after talking to the ACC, which has the ACC Network? (if those rumors are true)

Reaction Score
I wonder if this is the purpose of UConn +. I posted about this earlier:
UNIVERSITY TO LAUNCH UCONN+ STREAMING DIGITAL NETWORK

A FIRST-OF-ITS-KIND IN COLLEGE ATHLETICS TO COMBINE LIVE AND ORIGINAL CONTENT, UCONN+ WILL PROVIDE FANS 24/7 ACCESS TO FEATURED CONTENT, LIVE EVENTS AND INSTITUTIONAL CONTENT IN COLLABORATION WITH LEARFIELD STUDIOS AND SIDEARM SPORTS

How does UConn have the money to do this? Did they do this after talking to the ACC, which has the ACC Network? (if those rumors are true)

Some of the answers are in this article: UConn launching ‘UConn+,’ new streaming digital network where fans can watch more Huskies conten

-> The streaming service will be sponsorship-driven, according to UConn’s Vice President for Communications, Tysen Kendig, and the content will be free. <-

-> Learfield and Sidearm Sports are UConn’s partners in this venture. There is a supervising producer on the ground in Storrs, Michael Hendel, who has been shooting and producing content, and a central production team. No other hires are planned; what’s needed is already in place.

“Learfield and Sidearm Sports have invested mightily in this and are looking at this as a sponsorship opportunity, so we’re able to provide this content at no cost to fans,” Kendig said. “As the endeavor grows over time, there will be an opportunity to invest more on it.” <-

Reaction Score
Some of the answers are in this article: UConn launching ‘UConn+,’ new streaming digital network where fans can watch more Huskies conten

-> The streaming service will be sponsorship-driven, according to UConn’s Vice President for Communications, Tysen Kendig, and the content will be free. <-

-> Learfield and Sidearm Sports are UConn’s partners in this venture. There is a supervising producer on the ground in Storrs, Michael Hendel, who has been shooting and producing content, and a central production team. No other hires are planned; what’s needed is already in place.

“Learfield and Sidearm Sports have invested mightily in this and are looking at this as a sponsorship opportunity, so we’re able to provide this content at no cost to fans,” Kendig said. “As the endeavor grows over time, there will be an opportunity to invest more on it.” <-
What are Learfield and Sidearm Sports seeing that other conferences aren't seeing?

Reaction Score
What are Learfield and Sidearm Sports seeing that other conferences aren't seeing?
Has to be demand for UConn content. It's just too bad, we didn't get into the club earlier. Now the money you have to add the pot for everyone to make money is astonishing. There could be little doubt that UConn brings more demand for content that a lot of the hanger ons in the P5. The key was to grab a seat early and the leadership in place failed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom