Stay in the Big East: UConn/UMass Football Only to the MAC and have 6 home games | The Boneyard

Stay in the Big East: UConn/UMass Football Only to the MAC and have 6 home games

Reaction Score
Hi All, Know you guys were P5 and desire to get back there. Looked around and notice, WTF, year and year out 5 home games and your media contract is expiring after this season. So there should be rumors as your AD should be doing due diligence and checking every possibility.

A rumor surfaced on the CSNbbs realignment board by a MAC poster saying the MAC is in talks with UConn and UMass.

What I do know is that our 2 AD's do talk frequently and anything is possible and the new 6 garaurantee P5 with 6 at-large expanded CFP play-offs will help the already highly successful CFP. That UConn, UMass, and Army have requested an increase in the CFP payout as we all split 0.5%. or 0.016667% per team.

Know most of you will piss all over the idea and playing 6 games with the MAC. However think a few would like the idea of have 6, not 5, home games every year. Guessing your schedule would be 3 P5 games ( 2 buy games and 1 home and home), 1 FCS team and and 4 MAC teams. The east would be Buffalo, UMass, Ohio, UConn, Miami, Akron and Kent State. Yes some of you are feeling sick to your stomach at this moment.

However it would give UConn and UMass a very stable home, with the rivalry game, preserving our desired home conferences, Big East and A10. The additional home game revenue and about 1M in additional CFP playoff money from the MAC would offset the 1 P5 buy game. The reduced travel cost would be nice. The most important thing is the MAC has had several teams in the BCS playoffs and UConn and perhaps one of those teams could be in the CFP 12 team field. The MAC supports member teams in bowl games so the risk for eating a large ticket allocation will be gone.

To summarize it comes down if there is a benefit to have 6 home games instead of 5, perhaps a slight recruiting lift being in a conference, being able to play for a conference championship and more bowl game possibilities. The MAC did pretty good in bowl game wins this year.

Reaction Score
I would rather gouge my eyeballs out than play Akron on a Tuesday night. Respectfully of course.
I hear you but it would almost be certain the Rivalry game would be with us, UMass.

Reaction Score
Not gonna happen. Why? Because:

1. 6 home games of the nature you are talking about would be a disaster. Just compare what you are saying to the types of home schedules we already have put together.

2. TV ratings and therefore TV revenue would go down the drain, so that is a non-starter as well.

3. We want to play games on the road in historically richer recruiting areas for us (i.e. the east coast). Being in a conference on its own isn't a driver, but being in an attractive conference is.

4. No disrespect but no conference decision we make will be driven by anything to do with UMass. That said, we can play each other regardless of conference affiliation.

Reaction Score
You guys must be donating boat loads of cash to help with UConn 18M Football Budget.
Just 5 home games and your expiring media contract paying around 450k. Sure CBPS Sports would not pay 100k for the FCS game.

UConn football announces TV deal with CBS Sports through 2023

UPDATE: Sports Business Journal reports that CBSSN could pay up to $100,000 per game, depending on the quality of the opponent. SBJ estimated that UConn could make around $500,000 per year, which would put the deal in the range of four years, $2 million.

Reaction Score
“However think a few would like the idea of have 6, not 5, home games every year.”

“The additional home game revenue…”

“To summarize it comes down if there is a benefit to have 6 home games instead of 5,”
“Just 5 home games..”
Curious… how many years has UConn only had 5 home games all said and done (past & future)?

Reaction Score
Hi All, Know you guys were P5 and desire to get back there. Looked around and notice, WTF, year and year out 5 home games and your media contract is expiring after this season. So there should be rumors as your AD should be doing due diligence and checking every possibility.

A rumor surfaced on the CSNbbs realignment board by a MAC poster saying the MAC is in talks with UConn and UMass.

What I do know is that our 2 AD's do talk frequently and anything is possible and the new 6 garaurantee P5 with 6 at-large expanded CFP play-offs will help the already highly successful CFP. That UConn, UMass, and Army have requested an increase in the CFP payout as we all split 0.5%. or 0.016667% per team.

Know most of you will piss all over the idea and playing 6 games with the MAC. However think a few would like the idea of have 6, not 5, home games every year. Guessing your schedule would be 3 P5 games ( 2 buy games and 1 home and home), 1 FCS team and and 4 MAC teams. The east would be Buffalo, UMass, Ohio, UConn, Miami, Akron and Kent State. Yes some of you are feeling sick to your stomach at this moment.

However it would give UConn and UMass a very stable home, with the rivalry game, preserving our desired home conferences, Big East and A10. The additional home game revenue and about 1M in additional CFP playoff money from the MAC would offset the 1 P5 buy game. The reduced travel cost would be nice. The most important thing is the MAC has had several teams in the BCS playoffs and UConn and perhaps one of those teams could be in the CFP 12 team field. The MAC supports member teams in bowl games so the risk for eating a large ticket allocation will be gone.

To summarize it comes down if there is a benefit to have 6 home games instead of 5, perhaps a slight recruiting lift being in a conference, being able to play for a conference championship and more bowl game possibilities. The MAC did pretty good in bowl game wins this year.
If this is such a no-brainer then why hasn't UMass already done it?

Reaction Score

I mentioned in another thread that about 10 years ago UMass football was in the MAC for a few years. The MAC wanted the rest of UMass athletic programs to join the MAC as well, and told UMass that. From what I recall, UMass wanted to keep their other sports programs in the A10, so the MAC threw UMass football out of the conference.

Reaction Score
Our football deal will only get better. The MAC would alienate our fans and our AD knows that. You just can’t get an athletic department like ours to go to the MAC. The MAC is a nice little conference but our base has experienced far too much more to ever accept that. The idea is insanity.

Reaction Score
Curious… how many years has UConn only had 5 home games all said and done (past & future)?
It's subjective do not consider when you schedule in City (TBD) as a home game as both teams us it as a 'quote' home game. 2023 does have 6.

Will occasional peek on the boneyard as my main purpose was to say you are receiving G5 media money, on a diet of P5 buy games and your administration has already thrown you under the bus going Indy. There are risks, especially as the P5 consolidate. Already knew how you would respond. Really don't know the full impact of the expanded 12 game College Play-Off. Think there is more opportunity being in a conference for getting into the play offs. We both can schedule games as Indys. Do look at your 18M budget and think something has to give as currently peanuts from the CFP and your media contract. Take care and If I was a UConn fan, would want to be P5, but the Big Ten chose Rutgers over you. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
It's subjective do not consider when you schedule in City (TBD) as a home game as both teams us it as a 'quote' home game. 2023 does have 6.

Will occasional peek on the boneyard as my main purpose was to say you are receiving G5 media money, on a diet of P5 buy games and your administration has already thrown you under the bus going Indy. There are risks, especially as the P5 consolidate. Already knew how you would respond. Really don't know the full impact of the expanded 12 game College Play-Off. Think there is more opportunity being in a conference for getting into the play offs. We both can schedule games as Indys. Do look at your 18M budget and think something has to give as currently peanuts from the CFP and your media contract. Take care and If I was a UConn fan, would want to be P5, but the Big Ten chose Rutgers over you. It is what it is.
Since Big East football collapsed, there have been 3 paths to get called up to the P5: AAC, MWC, and Indy football. UConn tried the AAC, but it was a bad fit for a number of reasons and the conference lost their most important assets soon after UConn left. And, the AAC was not helping men's basketball never mind that the media contract barely offset travel costs. The MWC doesn't seem to be a fit, so Indy football and Big East basketball was the best option for UConn. Don't get me wrong, Indy football is not ideal, and UConn did try to be a football only in the AAC, but they were rejected.

Reaction Score
If it involves a significant bump in TV payout I could see it happening. 500K per year from CBS is abysmal.

The upside:
-Larger TV payout
-Access to the auto-playoff bid.
-Much easier schedule and scheduling. With Mora maybe 8, 9, 10 wins per year. The FIU win last year was 1000 times more enjoyable than the Michigan game.
-Meaningful games late season if we are competing for a conference championship and potential access to playoffs
- Hopefully no more dreadful body-bag games.

The downside:
-A couple mid-week games. With one being a home game
-Disappointing the delusional fanbase that thinks being independent makes us BYU. BTW most BYU fans hated being independent and are thrilled to be part of a conference again.

I'm hoping we get a similar, more desirable offer from the AAC and of course the goal is still a P5 conference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Playing on a Tuesday in the Mac just sounds like a disaster. If you’re going to join something join the mwc for football only. They may be the strongest G5 going forward.

In UConn’s case give the Pac a call. The east coast time slot might be something and we don’t have any Olympic sport baggage to worry about. Except the Pac may be playing on Apple TV which isn’t exactly a perfect scenario

Reaction Score
NFW, please.

1. With a solid athletic marketing brand and overall success, UConn’s ability to schedule games has proven to be more successful than some doomsayers predicted.
2. Aside from possibly a NY stadium game agreed with Syracuse and likely Fenway with UMass, UConn appears to be scheduling 6 home games (work in progress for some future seasons yet success expected).
3. Prefer Saturday games, ongoing scheduling variety (few P5 opponents, including traditional Big East rivals, recognizable regional and target recruiting-area opponents, etc), avoiding potentially damaging strong UConn athletic brand versus UMass possibly still jonesing for more mid-week MAC magnificence (acknowledging the latter may make more sense for an A-10 level, FloSports brand).
4. Bowl qualification, Mora rejuvenation, strong brand, etc likely results in an ongoing CBSSN or other network/media contract (obviously Benedict would weigh benefit/cost, higher aspirations for future realignment potential vs possible MAC $ and perceived brand image damage).
5. NFW, please!

Reaction Score

You lost me at CSNBBS. That place is a moron factory.

Reaction Score

Going Indy was one of the smarter decisions UConn ever made.

There is NFW this fanbase wants to play Wednesday nights against Toledo. It would literally be a crippling blow to the program and stifle the regrowth of the football landscape.

Why would UConn join the MAC for a measly $600k a year for football when we have demonstrated that we can get at least get that all by our lonesome? CBS Sports loves us, they get our content at a bargain and we schedule appealing opponents.

I have my doubts about the MAC seriously considering this. They have a good core identity and are comfortable in their own skinning just don’t see it.

Reaction Score
For the MAC which previously sh|t canned UMass as a football-only member, it’s highly likely they’d only accommodate the Minutemen if Army and/or UConn inexplicably agree to join as a football-only.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It seems the only reason to ever do this is because the new expanded CFB playoff mandates all eligible schools must have a conference affiliation. Should that come to pass- I would still lean towards remaining independent if we can keep scheduling 3 to 5 power conf games a year and forget the playoff for now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom