Stay classy, Auburn fans | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stay classy, Auburn fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
Where the heck did you come up with that?

This was his post:

It's no wonder why southern states like AL have stereotypes like dumb, inbreeding rednecks. Oh and rich too, because they make TV shows about 'em. Quack quack....

"dumb, inbreeding rednecks" is a traditional slur against southern whites, not blacks (or Jews or gays). And he goes on to mention a white TV star as an example of who he is thinking of. So in his mind, the harassers are whites. But he doesn't and can't know that.

pj

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
BaMa Fan -CKed Them Trees Up. This Is Auburn Fans,Version Of That. Your From Auburn You,Choose To Play For Bama, It's Going To Get Rough.

Feel For The,Kid Though.

Reaction Score
Before the Duck Commander guys were on TV, they were all basically a bunch of wealthy southern frat boys who wore Duckhead khakis. They are basically an act.

Reaction Score
Your first two sentences were good, then you went off the rails. For fans, football is a game. For him football may be his future living and most of his lifetime earnings. Fans should respect his choice, and not let their fanaticism go beyond the stadium and the athletic competition. To bully him and his family into attending Auburn, whether or not he thinks it is good for him, is downright immoral.

He is right to resist such bullying. Bravo to him and his family for doing what they think is right.
...and they have the right to move...we live in a free society. He can have his opinion, and I can have mine. You may think as fans we are better because we live in New England. Let me see....Giants and Eagles Games??? Jets, Patriots or Jets Dolphins??? or switch sports and look at the Red Sox versus Yankees. What would happen if Yankee fan opened a store down the street from Fenway called Yankees? I wonder how many times that store front would be vandalized? Or go to New York and open a store called BoSox we serve the best Red Meat??? How many times would the police need to be in there after a Yankee RedSox game? Just saying as for going off the rails, if some fans don't want to go to his parents store...so be it? Wishing ill on someone is something that most fans would feel is crossing the line never mind doing actual harm. But if you think, that standing up to the storm is strength, well good for you. I think this is just one more way to get even more attention focused on this rivalry. Personally, I do not have a horse in this race and this is not my battle.

Sometimes I also think people go looking for a fight just to be able to say - see I was right. Well good for you, you were right, you suffered, but my average life continued and was effected in a most miniscule way.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
"tolerant"
lmaoooo the Northeast is Gandhi compared to the South. Just look at what Southern elected officials still, in 2014, have to say about something regarding religion in schools, gay marriage, and reproductive rights. Policy tells you everything.

And, of course, the OP article.

pj

Reaction Score
I think this is just one more way to get even more attention focused on this rivalry.

Upon consideration, I think this is correct. The player is trying to divert attention from his residence and eligibility issue by making it look like questioning his status is an attempted bullying from sore loser Auburn fans. Alabama fans are looking for ways to make Auburn fans look bad. And maybe some Auburn fans did behave badly, maybe they didn't. But either way it's a tempest in a teapot.

Reaction Score
I've lived in the Northeast and the South. Given the stereotypes of each:

I'd rather hang out with a dumb southern redneck over a condescending know it all northeastern yuppy any day.
come on... can't we all get along.
at least when we stereotype and make fun of the Mexicans?
These are people that truly lack perspective.

It makes me so angry to think that some as think they can justify screwing with a kid's life and damaging his family's livelihood because they really like to go get wasted in a parking lot and cheer for what they think is a way of life rather than a school (which is probably pretty easy, considering most of them likely never attended Auburn).

To me, the way many southerners view college football is disgusting and unhealthy. Not something I'd like to see in our fanbase.
anything to the extreme is typically unhealthy.

Reaction Score
I'm having a hard time deciding who's avatar I like most ... that of Jimmy Serrano or mike012779. I love it when they post. I hope this doesn't make me a stereotypical Northeastern yuppy.

Reaction Score
You may not like the logic, but we do live in America, and boycotting someone's business is a right we all have. However, I do believe that boycotting this business for this reason is a bit immature. That being said, keep in mind, this store is in Auburn, sometimes you need to do what is best for your customers. If you can't or refuse, maybe you need to move your business. Also, the kid said he needs to do what is best for him. He also expected some backlash but perhaps not to this extent. Shocking, because we all have heard the stories of this rivalry. He did not take this into account? why not? Best for him is not just going to his top choice school but again he too should have looked at all the variables. We don't live in AL but he does...he needed to consider those consequences. And sure perhaps he is a bit victimized but didn't his decision bring it about it. Look people make choices in a bad places and situations get out of control. This is what happened. And for me, to judge anyone in AL when I don't live there....Well, I am not better than anyone until I have walked a mile in their shoes.
Right is right and wrong is wrong. In any culure.
It's wrong for an adult to bully, intimidate, or harass another individual. It's even worse for an adult to do that to a kid.
If you honestly can't distinguish the difference between making a personal choice to boycott a store vs going out of your way to bring harm whether financial, physical, or mental to this kid, I seriously question your value system.
You don't need to walk a mile to understand right from wrong. Just get off your pedestal.

Reaction Score
lmaoooo the Northeast is Gandhi compared to the South. Just look at what Southern elected officials still, in 2014, have to say about something regarding religion in schools, gay marriage, and reproductive rights. Policy tells you everything.

Ironic analogy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/irene-monroe/the-gandhi-none-of-us-kne_b_842941.html

The difference between the north east and the south is in the south you know who the racists are. "Tolerance" in the northeast means getting along with everyone who agrees with you.

Reaction Score
...and they have the right to move...we live in a free society. He can have his opinion, and I can have mine. You may think as fans we are better because we live in New England. Let me see....Giants and Eagles Games??? Jets, Patriots or Jets Dolphins??? or switch sports and look at the Red Sox versus Yankees. What would happen if Yankee fan opened a store down the street from Fenway called Yankees? I wonder how many times that store front would be vandalized? Or go to New York and open a store called BoSox we serve the best Red Meat??? How many times would the police need to be in there after a Yankee RedSox game? Just saying as for going off the rails, if some fans don't want to go to his parents store...so be it? Wishing ill on someone is something that most fans would feel is crossing the line never mind doing actual harm. But if you think, that standing up to the storm is strength, well good for you. I think this is just one more way to get even more attention focused on this rivalry. Personally, I do not have a horse in this race and this is not my battle.

Sometimes I also think people go looking for a fight just to be able to say - see I was right. Well good for you, you were right, you suffered, but my average life continued and was effected in a most miniscule way.
you don't get it...
your logic is akin to a 15 year old pop-star singing about life's troubles. It's a limited sample and likely not very deep.

Reaction Score
The kid got a scholarship, nobody is doing financial harm to him. If people want to boycott his family's establishment that's their prerogative. If it's wrong for people to boycott the family business, then the alternative must be true. Which means it's "right" to require people to spend their money there? Nonsense.

Any sort of threats, intimidation, or violence is ridiculous and should be prosecuted. Make an example out of somebody and bring them to court and embarrass them. I don't think people should be out front picketing the store; but if they choose not to spend their money there, that's their right, it's their money.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I

I have seen what elected officials do here and it is as bad as anywhere else in the country.

Reaction Score
UConnDan97 said:
I don't call that "caring". I call that selfish, classless, disgusting behavior. Boycotting a person's family establishment because he chose a college that you dislike is the epitome of "dumb", and more likely suggests that those fans didn't learn anything while they attended Auburn in the first place (if they attended at all). I'm GLAD that people in CT are the way they are, even if I would love for the UConn-enthusiastic crowd to continue to grow larger (which I'm sure is what you meant, by the way)...

Clearly that behavior is ridiculous. But I would guess that most top prospects in CT don't get encouraged to stay home because most people (other than us BYers) just don't care at all. That's what I'm saying.

Reaction Score
It may all be ridiculous, but knowing how things are down there, how could the kid not take advantage of marketing his own family's business in what could have been his own college's town? My guess is the business will relocate to Tuscaloosa and survive.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
"Tolerance" in the northeast means getting along with everyone who agrees with you.
"Tolerance" doesn't have to be anything. It can be the absence of certain behavior... such as what is going on in the South, which this thread is centered around.

Reaction Score
"Tolerance" doesn't have to be anything. It can be the absence of certain behavior... such as what is going on in the South, which this thread is centered around.

I also posted about what is happening down there. Ironic that you chose not to respond to that while passive-aggressively hinting what I shouldn't post about.

Exhibit a of northeastern tolerance.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Having spend extensive time living in bothe the north and the south, I've seen plenty of good and bad in both places. Yes there is bigotry in the south, but that is changing. Slowly, but changing. Racism? Ive run across plenty of blatant racism in the sout. The thing is, you know where those people stand on the issue, unlike in the northeast where it is hidden and most dont think it exists in their fair states. The irish I've known from Boston and the Italians I've known from Long Islan d and NJ were absolutely as racist as people from the south, but they kept it within their group and would just make their racist comments out of earshot of those that didnt share their opinions.

The education I got in the northeast was far far superior to the product in the south, but the judgemental elitism this instilled in many i knew creates a pretty insufferable and intolerant group overall.

BaCk to the story now...fans from the state of Alabama are just insane and I dont dou bt this kid's story. I would have advised him to commit earlier, rather than string Auburn along and some of this wouldnt happen. Doesnt make it right though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom