Stats vs LSU were weird, odd & ugly... | The Boneyard

Stats vs LSU were weird, odd & ugly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
LSU photo.jpeg

In a game that often looked more like a rugby scrum than UConn basketball, the Huskies came away with a strange victory, 76-53, over LSU. The stats versus LSU were just plain weird, odd and ugly. Consider:

1. How about 20 turnovers, including 6 by Dangerfield. She had one total against FSU & Baylor.
2. Napheesa Collier had more fouls (5) than baskets (3). :eek:
3. Katie Lou was great outside the arc, shooting 7-11 or 64%. She shot 25% inside the 3 pt line.
4. LSU had 16 steals, but only 7 assists.
5. UConn outscored LSU 42-0 from 3 point range.
6. Kyla Irwin played more minutes (17) than Saniya (16) or Molly (13).
7. Katie Lou had 8 rebounds..!! Apparently, we got the rebounding Samuelson. :cool:
8. UConn was outscored in the 3rd period, 16-15.
9. The Huskies gave up 17 offensive rebounds, but still had more total boards 39-31.
10. LSU out shot the Huskies 63-47, but missed 41 of their shots.
11. Both teams had 22 baskets, but UConn won by 23 points.

UConn played Florida State, Baylor and LSU in just 6 days, with two games on the road. Sometimes you just win ugly. But, the Huskies are 3-0 when many thought they might have at least two losses. Learn what you can, then put this game in the rear view mirror. ;)

Go Huskies..!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No masterpiece for sure and definitely some good stuff. I am not much for going out on a limb, but here goes. We will find a way to win against Dayton and Chatt. After that I see DePaul as the trap game of all trap games. Despite LSU's goose egg from 3-land our gals don't guard it well. Coach Bruno may like Geno, but he's not all that nostalgic. Just sayin our kids gotta lotta things to tighten up.

Reaction Score
Despite losing to UConn by over 20 points, is LSU a potential top 25 team? We've seen some very good teams get clobbered by UConn in past years. I didn't think LSU was all that bad.

Reaction Score
There could/should have been many many more fouls called in this game. One reason it was so ugly.

Reaction Score
Thank God for the 3 ball, just don't count on it. Geno indicated LSU is hard to play "because of their game"....anyone know what that means?
Hey Rocky- "Their game" is the SEC style of play in football and basketball--aggressive and athletic! LSU was basically small and very quick. UConn was still playing at the "Baylor" speed and got caught off guard. Also, BB skills are not the driving force in SEC athletic basketball. In addition, isn't the SEC the "Best Defensive" conference? Why? Aggressive athletes. Usually poor outside shooters too.
SEC football just keeps winning National Titles because everyone knows who has the best athletes. WBB is based more on skills. IMHO that is why a Green Bay or Dayton or Villanova can win some games---BB skills and fundamentals.
FYI - today is the 40th anniversary of "Rocky." YO Adrian.

Reaction Score
Thank God for the 3 ball, just don't count on it. Geno indicated LSU is hard to play "because of their game"....anyone know what that means?

I think he was referring to the defense that LSU plays. They are very physical and very aggressive. They bump cutters, gamble on passes, pressure the ball, and do just about anything else to get an offense out of rhythm.

Reaction Score
PhillyCoach and others shed light on this game (see also the last couple of pages of the game thread for superb analysis that really helped me understand the game). Yes, ugly, but in fact here ugly is beautiful. Shows that UConn can win playing its own game, but can also win playing the cards that are dealt (SEC football on the hard court). Explains the shot selection, substitution patterns, etc. This is a "just win, baby" type of game.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The SEC lives by the principle that 'they can't call every foul' - so we bump and bang and clutch and eventually the refs just get tired. SEC games average about 38 fouls and somewhere around the same number of foul shots. Makes for a slow and painful watching experience.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great stuff as always David. Not thrilled that quarters 1, 3, and 4 were so close - if not for the 2nd quarter barrage, we'd be looking at a different result. Also disappointed that it appeared UCONN wasn't able to make any adjustments at halftime since the entire 2nd half was so close. HOWEVER...

Young team, on the road, playing a tough physical team like LSU - and a couple players did quite well. Dangerfield was a bit ragged, but she got to see what a tough physical game felt like when turnovers mount. Lou shot tremendously. Thought Irwin and Bent looked solid. Butler took 2 huge steps backwards. Aside from the 2nd quarter, agree - ugly basketball, but we are 3-0 and the legend grows (win streak)...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think he meant to say "LSU is hard to play because of their ability to play a basketball game". Or maybe "In LSU it's hard to play their game", or something to that effect.

Reaction Score
Butler took 2 huge steps backwards.
Ericsandiego,
Before judging Natalie, consider UcMiami from the game thread, who write this:
Butler didn't have a great game, but this is the type of team she is going to struggle with - short, quackish, and pesky. She did really well against the trees of Baylor and the larger FSU, but LSU just isn't the type of team she is going to find easy. One of the reasons we saw as much as we did of Irwin in that while she would be lost against Baylor, LSU is an easier match-up.

The phrase "taking steps backward" suggests that now Natalie is in a worse place from which she needs to move forward. But really, without practice or anything else, she could have a fantastic game tomorrow night. I know you didn't mean that she's now in a worse position, but just that it sounds that way. Athletic (or any artistic) performance can't be judged by a single data point as reflecting anything other than that precise moment and circumstance. Again, I realize you were only comparing her to her previous performances, not suggesting that she's actually in a worse place. I'm more reacting to the obsessive need we all seem to have to grade everything "objectively" on a moment-by-moment basis.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Hey Rocky- "Their game" is the SEC style of play in football and basketball--aggressive and athletic! LSU was basically small and very quick. UConn was still playing at the "Baylor" speed and got caught off guard. Also, BB skills are not the driving force in SEC athletic basketball. In addition, isn't the SEC the "Best Defensive" conference? Why? Aggressive athletes. Usually poor outside shooters too.
SEC football just keeps winning National Titles because everyone knows who has the best athletes. WBB is based more on skills. IMHO that is why a Green Bay or Dayton or Villanova can win some games---BB skills and fundamentals.
FYI - today is the 40th anniversary of "Rocky." YO Adrian.
Yo Coach! Thanks for being on the money.

Reaction Score
The SEC lives by the principle that 'they can't call every foul' - so we bump and bang and clutch and eventually the refs just get tired. SEC games average about 38 fouls and somewhere around the same number of foul shots. Makes for a slow and painful watching experience.

"first team to score 20 points in a quarter wins...." somebody on this blog said this last year (about the SEC) :cool:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
"first team to score 20 points in a quarter wins...." somebody on this blog said this last year (about the SEC) :cool:
I was thinking about that thread I started last year as I watched the game - how dare you quote me back at myself! :cool:

Reaction Score
I believe UCONN played down to the competition in this game. The offensive rebound stats are something to look at and so are the players fouling out because we have a short bench. I'm not worried about Saniya getting less minutes than Molly or Kyla as this was the game to do that. Games like this happens from time to time. Sonny above mentioned travel and fatigue and I've played enough basketball to know that this contributed to the how the game was played. I'll take a sloppy 20+ point win any time.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Despite losing to UConn by over 20 points, is LSU a potential top 25 team? We've seen some very good teams get clobbered by UConn in past years. I didn't think LSU was all that bad.

No doubt LSU will be better than last year. They got Moncrief back from injury, as well as most of their key contributors from last year. Hyder, in particular, was their leading scorer last year and had moments against UConn where she showed how difficult she can be to guard.

On paper they should be good enough to score a few solid wins and get into the conversation for an at-large bid. But I'd be surprised if they break into the top 25. This is the same team that struggled to beat Louisiana Tech (by 4) and Wake Forest (by 3) in its first two games.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, ESPN broadcast this game nationally instead of the Baylor game. More grist for the mill of those who hate WCBB.....

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
LSU's goal was to not allow scoring inside at any price. UConn's goal for the evening was to check 'zone busting' off their to-do list for the year...
81d1df95f45c1a276ca66c232e849e94.png
If that (zone busting) was their goal for the game, then it definitely was NOT achieved. Eight 2-point field goals? That sounds like the LSU zone was rather effective at guarding the paint, if not the 3-point line. The zone offense needs a lot more work, and I'm quite sure there will be plenty of opportunity to do that, since many of the unranked opponents on the schedule (probably including nearly all of the AAC) will feel that they have to play zone to contain UConn's quickness.

I do realize that part of the reason for the low number of 2-point baskets was the fact that shooters were fouled when they attempted one, and the free throw advantage shows that.

UConn obviously still has a lot of work to do on defending without fouling. Gabby and Napheesa in particular need to master that art, or they will not be on the floor nearly as much as they need to be.

Reaction Score
If that (zone busting) was their goal for the game, then it definitely was NOT achieved. Eight 2-point field goals? That sounds like the LSU zone was rather effective at guarding the paint, if not the 3-point line. The zone offense needs a lot more work, and I'm quite sure there will be plenty of opportunity to do that, since many of the unranked opponents on the schedule (probably including nearly all of the AAC) will feel that they have to play zone to contain UConn's quickness.

I do realize that part of the reason for the low number of 2-point baskets was the fact that shooters were fouled when they attempted one, and the free throw advantage shows that.

UConn obviously still has a lot of work to do on defending without fouling. Gabby and Napheesa in particular need to master that art, or they will not be on the floor nearly as much as they need to be.
My point was, there are a lot of things that need work (as you said), but they're not all going to be conquered at once. Thus the check list - to whittle away at each item needing improvement. The zone busting in this case was actually making the 3's thus requiring little need to penetrate just to get mugged.

Reaction Score
View attachment 17044

In a game that often looked more like a rugby scrum than UConn basketball, the Huskies came away with a strange victory, 76-53, over LSU. The stats versus LSU were just plain weird, odd and ugly. Consider:

1. How about 20 turnovers, including 6 by Dangerfield. She had one total against FSU & Baylor.
2. Napheesa Collier had more fouls (5) than baskets (3). :eek:
3. Katie Lou was great outside the arc, shooting 7-11 or 64%. She shot 25% inside the 3 pt line.
4. LSU had 16 steals, but only 7 assists.
5. UConn outscored LSU 42-0 from 3 point range.
6. Kyla Irwin played more minutes (17) than Saniya (16) or Molly (13).
7. Katie Lou had 8 rebounds..!! Apparently, we got the rebounding Samuelson. :cool:
8. UConn was outscored in the 3rd period, 16-15.
9. The Huskies gave up 17 offensive rebounds, but still had more total boards 39-31.
10. LSU out shot the Huskies 63-47, but missed 41 of their shots.
11. Both teams had 22 baskets, but UConn won by 23 points.

UConn played Florida State, Baylor and LSU in just 6 days, with two games on the road. Sometimes you just win ugly. But, the Huskies are 3-0 when many thought they might have at least two losses.
Learn what you can, then put this game in the rear view mirror. ;)

Go Huskies..!!
\

Leave to DavidN Good stuff (ok the data isn't super) You last sentence says it all to me--
Yet loads to have been learned at LSU--Dangerfield, as said by a smart poster, learned how to move against tough rough dedicate defenses, Katie Lou learned to hit 3's (again), I learned to not count out KIA or Butler or Gabby--ragged, rugged, sloppy at times--I enjoyed ever minute knowing what Geno had to say in the locker room (not to the press)..Thanks David!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom