STATS: Top 50 Players per Efficiency after Week 3 | The Boneyard

STATS: Top 50 Players per Efficiency after Week 3

Reaction Score
Week 3 is now completed.

Below are 3 screenshots:
1. All Players
2. Watch List only (i.e. those players on Naismith, Wade or Wooden Watch Lists)
3. Freshman only

Note: Only includes games versus Division I teams.

1. ALL PLAYERS

2019-20 NCAA WBB Top 50 All Players After Week 3.png

Reaction Score
Hmmm. Oregon with 3 of the top 14 (3 of top 6 on “Watch List” list). UConn with zero in the top 50 on any list.

EDIT: Sorry, UConn with zero on overall list. We have #14 (Walker),18 (Williams) and 48 (Dangerfield) on "Watch List" list

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hmmm. Oregon with 3 of the top 14 (3 of top 6 on “Watch List” list). UConn with zero in the top 50 on any list.

UConn Players:

1. All Players:
  • Walker is 52nd (21.2)
  • Nelson-Ododa is 57th (21.0)
  • Williams is 115th (18.4)
2. Watch List

There were actually three UConn players listed.

Note: There were only 56 different players which qualify for the list in total. Those not shown were:
  • Sutton (Texas) 9.2
  • Martin (West Virginia) 9.0
  • Carrington (Stanford) 8.4
  • Wright (UCF) 8.4
  • Boley (Oregon) 7.8
  • Konig (NC State) 4.6
3. Freshman

Griffin 207th (7.2)
Makurat 322nd (5.2)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Boy, that hurts. And I thought I could not miss Napheesa any more than I do now. :oops:

Reaction Score
During this past summer I remember hearing a bunch of "skepticism" on the Boneyard when I identified Mikayla Pivec, Oregon State, as being one of the best guards & players in the country. While the year is young, Mikayla Pivec is currently #2 on both the "All Players" and "Watch List". As Coach Rueck stated many times last year, Mikayla Pivec was the AA that few seemed to recognize or know about (unless you followed the PAC-12).

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
During this past summer I remember hearing a bunch of "skepticism" on the Boneyard when I identified Mikayla Pivec, Oregon State, as being one of the best guards & players in the country. While the year is young, Mikayla Pivec is currently #2 on both the "All Players" and "Watch List". As Coach Rueck stated many times last year, Mikayla Pivec was the AA that few seemed to recognize or know about (unless you followed the PAC-12).
So I guess Brittany Brewer, Ashley Joens and Unique Thompson should be First Team All-Americans too then.

Reaction Score
So I guess Brittany Brewer, Ashley Joens and Unique Thompson should be First Team All-Americans too then.
We'll find out when the AA Teams are announced.

Reaction Score

Although your rationale is sound, just because you have a high Efficiency metric doesn't equate to you being an AA, but I assume you are being a flippant as there is plenty of evidence to support Mikayla being an AA candidate:

Naismith Trophy Watch List
Wade Trophy Watch List
John R. Wooden Award Watch List
AP 2019-20 Preseason All-American Team
ESPN Top 25 Players in Women's College Basketball 2019-20

She is one of the best players on one of the best teams and is 1 of only 14 players who is mentioned in all 5 of those articles. Of the players you mentioned only Brewer appears of any of those (Naismith Watch List).

Although it is a small sample of number of games played, it does represent one sixth of the regular season.

Curious if you had to select who would make your Top 10 players for this season.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Although your rationale is sound, just because you have a high Efficiency metric doesn't equate to you being an AA, but I assume you are being a flippant as there is plenty of evidence to support Mikayla being an AA candidate:

Naismith Trophy Watch List
Wade Trophy Watch List
John R. Wooden Award Watch List
AP 2019-20 Preseason All-American Team
ESPN Top 25 Players in Women's College Basketball 2019-20

She is one of the best players on one of the best teams and is 1 of only 14 players who is mentioned in all 5 of those articles. Of the players you mentioned only Brewer appears of any of those (Naismith Watch List).

Although it is a small sample of number of games played, it does represent one sixth of the regular season.

Curious if you had to select who would make your Top 10 players for this season.
You've misread me. I have absolutely no objection to Pivec's status on the watch lists. She deserves all the expectations. I'm on record speaking highly of her since her freshman year.

I'm just needling a little bit because some fans (UConn's included) have a major persecution complex about perceived lack of recognition for their favorite players, to the point where, for example, someone feels the need to dredge up a pointless months-old argument with one poster to wag their finger after only 5 games.

Reaction Score
You've misread me. I have absolutely no objection to Pivec's status on the watch lists. She deserves all the expectations. I'm on record speaking highly of her since her freshman year.

I'm just needling a little bit because some fans (UConn's included) have a major persecution complex about perceived lack of recognition for their favorite players, to the point where, for example, someone feels the need to dredge up a pointless months-old argument with one poster to wag their finger after only 5 games.
My argument is pointless? Why? Which of your arguments are deemed pointless? I can think of one argument you cannot seem to let go of re: OOC scheduling? Instead of calling it pointless, I think I made the statement that the terrific, ever accurate RPI system will work it all out! But I didn't call it pointless. I wouldn't do that.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
The tenor of this thread convinces me there clearly haven't been enough good basketball games on the past few days and the natives are getting restless!

Until tomorrow's action begins, all hail the giant killer Stephen F. Austin. I've already got something to give thanks for...

Plebe

Reaction Score
My argument is pointless? Why? Which of your arguments are deemed pointless? I can think of one argument you cannot seem to let go of re: OOC scheduling? Instead of calling it pointless, I think I made the statement that the terrific, ever accurate RPI system will work it all out! But I didn't call it pointless. I wouldn't do that.
I didn't mean that *your* argument (as in stance) is pointless. I meant argument as in the back-and-forth of the "our player is better than your player" variety, which I personally have an aversion to regardless of who is weighing forth on it. At this point I'm sorry I said anything. My apologies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I aint naming no posts, but darn.... we need that dislike button back.... that was the best feature that this site has had in a very very very very very long time. I was gonna pass out dislikes like a grandma passes out candy.

Reaction Score
Players on high profile teams always have the advantage when it comes to awards or recognition. I mean do the people who pick those players for recognition actually watch all that many games? I really doubt it. Pivek might well still be unrecognized other than the fact that she played on USA team.

Reaction Score
I didn't mean that *your* argument (as in stance) is pointless. I meant argument as in the back-and-forth of the "our player is better than your player" variety, which I personally have an aversion to regardless of who is weighing forth on it. At this point I'm sorry I said anything. My apologies.
No worries @Plebe. It was nice to have your apology, but unnecessary. I really enjoy reading all that you contribute at the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
Week 3 is now completed.

Below are 3 screenshots:
1. All Players
3. Freshman only

1. ALL PLAYERS

View attachment 48536
Do you have these stats for "All D1 Players" from the 2018-19 Season?

Reaction Score
Players on high profile teams always have the advantage when it comes to awards or recognition. I mean do the people who pick those players for recognition actually watch all that many games? I really doubt it. Pivek might well still be unrecognized other than the fact that she played on USA team.

I think OSU is a reasonably high-profile team. It's certainly on a par with Iowa, where Megan Gustafson achieved some notoriety. I think Mik is "under-the-radar" because she has been a "steady climber". With Sabrina just down the road, she couldn't win any "FOTY" awards (and, frankly, didn't deserve any). As a sophomore, she was overshadowed by Marie Gulich's phenomenal senior campaign. As a junior, she had to share the spotlight with the irrepressible Destiny Slocum. Every year she just got better and better, but her only splashy statistic has been her rebounding - and guards don't win POTY-type awards for rebounding.

Marie Gulich was the same way, though with an even sharper trajectory. She improved steadily, but couldn't be the center of attention until Sydney Wiese graduated. The easiest path to AA status is 1) be a top 5 recruit, then 2) make a big statistical splash your freshman year, and 3) don't have any older stars on your team to share the attention.

Reaction Score
Week 4 is now completed.

Below are 3 screenshots:
1. All Players
3. Freshman only

1. ALL PLAYERS (AFTER WEEK 4)

2019-20 NCAA WBB Top 50 All Players After Week 4.png

Reaction Score

2. WATCH LIST ONLY (AFTER WEEK 4)

2019-20 NCAA WBB Top 50 Watch List After Week 4.png

Reaction Score

3. FRESHMEN ONLY (AFTER WEEK 4)

2019-20 NCAA WBB Top 50 Freshman After Week 4.png

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Thanks for this. I find it especially fascinating that Stanford has:
-no top 50 efficiency players overall;
-no top 50 efficiency frosh; and
-the least efficient watch list player in the country (Kiana Williams)
...yet is almost certain to be ranked #1 or #2 in the country later today.

This suggests either that:
-efficiency is overrated; and/or
-high efficiency numbers require substantial floor time (b/c Stanford has tended to feature a rotating cast so far this season, with only 1 player averaging 30 minutes per game and only 3 averaging more than 20); and/or
-Tara is a coaching genius who yields victories from inherently inefficient players.

Honestly, I'm pretty gobsmacked by how poorly Stanford fares on these metrics given its performance thus far.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks for this. I find it especially fascinating that Stanford has:
-no top 50 efficiency players overall;
-no top 50 efficiency frosh; and
-the least efficient watch list player in the country (Kiana Williams)
...yet is almost certain to be ranked #1 or #2 in the country later today.

This suggests either that:
-efficiency is overrated; and/or
-high efficiency numbers require substantial floor time (b/c Stanford has tended to feature a rotating cast so far this season, with only 1 player averaging 30 minutes per game and only 3 averaging more than 20); and/or
-Tara is a coaching genius who yields victories from inherently inefficient players.

Honestly, I'm pretty gobsmacked by how poorly Stanford fares on these metrics given its performance thus far.

The average Team Efficiency is 69.4. Stanford is fourth with 108.1 so I would probably go with:

-high efficiency numbers require substantial floor time (for individual players).

In the spirit of discussion re: Bottom 25 in another thread below are both the Top & Bottom 25.

17 of 25 AP Top 25 teams make Top 25 Team Efficiency. Those that didn't make it were:

6 Texas A&M - 87.8
14 Kentucky - 80.3
15 Michigan St. - 92.3
18 Syracuse - 78.1
19 Miami (FL) - 83.9
21 South Fla. - 69.8
22 Gonzaga - 89.1
23 West Virginia - 80.3

1575315017861.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online