Stats of what went right... and wrong.. | The Boneyard

Stats of what went right... and wrong..

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Collier vs FSU 2.jpeg

On a night when very little went right, UConn prevailed 78-76 against a fired up Florida State team. First, stats on what went wrong:

1. Turnovers - 17 for the Huskies, only 9 for FSU. :eek:
2. Offensive rebounds - 16 for Florida State, 8 for UConn.
3. Total shots - FSU had 72, UConn only 58.
4. Personal fouls - UConn 21 with 2 disqualified (Kia & Saniya)
5. Steals - FSU gets 10, UConn only 4.

There were a few stat lines that went well:

1. Napheesa Collier - 10-14 from the field (71.4%), 28 points :D
2. Saniya Chong - 6-6 (100%) from the field, 16 points.
3. Assists - 20 for UConn, only 11 for Florida State.
4. Three pt % - UConn 6-16 (37.5%), FSU 5-19 (26.3%)

And finally, the only stat that matters... UConn 78 points, FSU 76 points... :cool:

Tough win, on the road, first game jitters, foul trouble, not everything going right... Nice job Huskies..!!

Last edited:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Two defensive weapons were obviously missing last night: Moriah Jefferson's quickness and steals that disrupt opponent's offense, and Brianna Stewart's ability to back up defenders and block shots.

Although Bent is listed as having only one turnover, it was a ill-advised attempt at a long cross court pass, late in the game, that led to an easy FSU basket. I saw a few 3 point attempts taken over a shorter Dangerfield.

That being said, it was the first real game of the season, on the road, against a ranked and highly regarded team, that resulted in a win. ( albeit not like a win that we have become accustomed to.) I mean, it's not like we played Wagner or Northeastern........;)

Reaction Score
Collier and Chong's, Stats?…Awwwwesome!!!!!...well done. Thx for the number..:)

IMO…Too many turnover’s…and, I was surprised we didn’t have more steels…only 4? WOW!…who would have thought.

My grades on…non-statitable’s……is non-statitable’s that even a word????

C+ Ball movement, went fairly well, especially outside the arc.

B Plays away from the ball (picks, cuts, post positioning…etc) I saw some openings missed…this will get better.

B+ Running the floor…we got the speed.

C Defense…a little confused on switching…again this will get better

Over all… C+ Defense… Defense… Defense …enough said.

All correctable…we have the talent.

Quick comment…

I would have liked to see more post plays on the mismatches. Especially when Natalie was in. it could have drawn more fouls from their bigs. Forcing them to double up, opening outside threes.

Agree….jitters were in play....thx for post

Reaction Score
A big question about this year's team was, who was, or if anyone was, going to step up and make the big offensive or defensive play in crunch time.

This game showed that there are a number of players in that catagory

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A big question about this year's team was, who was, or if anyone was, going to step up and make the big offensive or defensive play in crunch time.

This game showed that there are a number of players in that catagory
I think that was the big takeaway from this game. Five years ago, it seemed as if no one wanted to take the big shot. Several players last night were willing to step up. Saniya took the biggest shot last season and did it again last night.

Reaction Score
I thought UConn's defense was better when Gabby played at the top of the 3-2 zone in the fourth quarter. She is very quick, and intercepts passes well in the passing lanes. Naphessa and Natalie did a better job at the bottom of the 3-2 zone. Although Gabby has explosive hops, she is usually at a disadvantage when she is guarding a taller player, and that player possesses the ball with their back to the goal. Her height leaves her several inches below the reaction curb, allowing taller players to shoot over her. She is will always be a threat to block shots in help defense.

Reaction Score
Two defensive weapons were obviously missing last night: Moriah Jefferson's quickness and steals that disrupt opponent's offense, and Brianna Stewart's ability to back up defenders and block shots.

Although Bent is listed as having only one turnover, it was a ill-advised attempt at a long cross court pass, late in the game, that led to an easy FSU basket. I saw a few 3 point attempts taken over a shorter Dangerfield.

That being said, it was the first real game of the season, on the road, against a ranked and highly regarded team, that resulted in a win. ( albeit not like a win that we have become accustomed to.) I mean, it's not like we played Wagner or Northeastern...;)

As you pointed out Stewie, and Moriah (even Tuck) are no long on this team. Let us not dwell on what we don't have--concentrate on what weapon Geno can use.

Bents pass --was NOT ill advised--had it not been picked off--you'd be writing how wonderful she did. You must admit that Fla St was quick and fast and on the ball immediately--all over the floor. There were passes by more senior Uconn players, in a shorter distance that failed.

Tall players always try to score over shorter players--if they didn't they should be sitting.

Crystal Dangerfield--Freshman, first REAL game of her college career, Geno kept her in for long long minutes--was he ill advised to do so?? She is fast, she is quick, she is learning. If you are still thinking this in March--post it then. Everything about the use of Dangerfield was POSITIVE--thoughtful, smart, and will pay off big time in the future. Trust from Geno is not easily earned--Crystal got it--as did Katie Lou--Butler--Gabby--Collier--Chong--etc.

Excuse my intense feelings for Bent and Dangerfield===heck all of them. But these kids showed me so much more than the score indicates they deserve praise. I never expected a 39 and0 season this year--did you??
But until they lose --I will delude myself in thinking it shall be 39----0.

One more pet peeve to be excused---I loved Stew, Moriah, Tuck--but they are gone. Geno can only play those eligible on his roster.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Bents pass --was NOT ill advised--had it not been picked off--you'd be writing how wonderful she did. You must admit that Fla St was quick and fast and on the ball immediately--all over the floor. There were passes by more senior Uconn players, in a shorter distance that failed.
Yea, that was an ill advised pass. Very poor actually. Yes, there were passes by more senior UCONN players in a shorter distance that failed. Which makes her long cross court attempt even more ill advised (i.e. she should have figured out from watching the others passes fail that her's was a bad choice)

Geno agreed. That is why she came back to the bench pretty much immediately after she made that pass.

Reaction Score
Yea, that was an ill advised pass. Very poor actually. Yes, there were passes by more senior UCONN players in a shorter distance that failed. Which makes her long cross court attempt even more ill advised (i.e. she should have figured out from watching the others passes fail that her's was a bad choice)

Geno agreed. That is why she came back to the bench pretty much immediately after she made that pass.
\

The difference between you me and Geno is --he's teaching! Geno jumped on her because of the highlighted section above. That pass or similar are made every day in practice many times--in the past years that same pass was made hundreds of times.

Ill advised ?? I contend if it was not picked off (as the shorter passes by players who knew better) we'd be posting how great she was---Ill advised--is in the eyes of the beholders. When she makes that pass later this year--unless Geno's teaching leave her snake bitten--we;ll all be cheering her abilities. part of that pass was Chemistry--that is still being developed--I'll take that pass every time she has it..

Geno's reaction to Molly was a result of his senior people' s errors in judgement--a lesson for every one. Most of the turnovers were made by other than Freshmen.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Here are my two favorite under-the-radar statistics from the Fla. St. game:

Chong: 6 assists, 0 turnovers

It's not exactly news that Saniya can score, but her overall offensive decision-making was excellent in this game (even though I think one of those assists should've been credited to Bent). It looks to me like our guards will be distributors by committee, at least until Dangerfield is ready to take the reins of the offense, so this is one stat line I was very happy to see.

Butler: 23 minutes, 6 defensive rebounds, 0 fouls

I think this is even more important. In the games Natalie played last year, I thought she picked up a few too many fouls for the number of minutes she played. Against certain opponents this season, we're going to need her presence in the paint and on the defensive glass, because without her we're left thin and undersized in the post. If she can do consistently what she did Monday night without getting into foul trouble, this team's ceiling could go way up.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
\
The difference between you me and Geno is --he's teaching! Geno jumped on her because of the highlighted section above. That pass or similar are made every day in practice many times--in the past years that same pass was made hundreds of times.
No, it wasn't. Long passes have been made, but not long passes when the defender is sitting there waiting for it.

\
Ill advised ?? I contend if it was not picked off
Well that's the whole point of ill advised. It was gonna be picked off. I saw that when her head came up and she looked. I yelled no at the TV before she even let it fly. The defender was sitting right there, plain as day.

\
part of that pass was Chemistry--that is still being developed--
Had nothing to do with chemistry. It had to do with the defender sitting right on the passing lane.

\
I'll take that pass every time she has it..
Well that's pretty stupid, cause it'll get intercepted 99% of the time. (The other 1% the defender will fall down or it'll slip through her hands. )

It was a bad pass, that's why Geno pulled her out. Geno and I will take her holding onto the ball vs your turnover every day.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Here are my two favorite under-the-radar statistics from the Fla. St. game:

Chong: 6 assists, 0 turnovers

It's not exactly news that Saniya can score, but her overall offensive decision-making was excellent in this game (even though I think one of those assists should've been credited to Bent). It looks to me like our guards will be distributors by committee, at least until Dangerfield is ready to take the reins of the offense, so this is one stat line I was very happy to see.
Even when Chong has not been playing well (mostly defensively) she has always done real well with handling the ball and not creating turnovers.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I went back and rewatched the game yesterday and I actually came away more impressed with this team - tight score and lots of mistakes especially in a sort of low energy first half, but also everyone who got on the floor made some good to great plays, and they knew what they were doing.

Jimbo - absolutely agree about Butler's stats and the zero fouls. She will never be Tina Charles, nor will she have the footwork of Stef Dolson, but she played tough and smart basketball. When she got the ball on offense which wasn't often enough, she made good decisive decisions. Uconn needs her, and through one game she showed she can be dependable.

Nurse had a miserable time on offense, but I thought she was solid at the other end.

As a whole they gave up more points than we are used to seeing, but that was a result of giving FSU a lot of extra possessions and not of bad defense. Between turnovers and offensive rebounds FSU had 33 'extra' possessions. Add in too many fouls (and the refs were pretty creative in this game - hitting both teams with a lot of foul calls) which added 19 points to their total. Uconn took 57 shots, FSU 72. Giving up 36% shooting to a top 15 team is pretty typical for a Uconn defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom