OT: - State's Money Moving Out | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: State's Money Moving Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Need to save some money? I know it wouldn't be popular ..............eliminate UConn football

Reaction Score
Excuse me, but I attended UCONN more than 30 years ago, and although it didn't enjoy the academic standing and prestige it now does, it was no community college.
No disrespect meant, and I wasn't alive back then, but my parents were and when they graduated high school in the '80s, they said very few had UConn as their top destination but it was more of a back up plan and that many of the students commuted to it. It wasn't Three Rivers, but it wasn't a public university on par with a Texas or Penn State either.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
No disrespect meant, and I wasn't alive back then, but my parents were and when they graduated high school in the '80s, they said very few had UConn as their top destination but it was more of a back up plan and that many of the students commuted to it. It wasn't Three Rivers, but it wasn't a public university on par with a Texas or Penn State either.

Not true at all. The vast majority of the student body lived on campus or in off campus apartments, rented condos or homes. To this day there are no urban areas close enough to the campus for a convenient morning rush hour commute, considering the traffic. 30 years or more ago it was an outpost.

Reaction Score
This is nonsense. First, it's likely that at least half of the people moving to Florida are already retired. More than half of New Yorkers moving to Florida are already out of the workforce. So the claim that we're losing people to other states who are wealthy is garbage: they are at the end of their working lives (most) and moving to where they don't have to shovel snow. People moving to New York? Sure. But don't tell us it's about taxes, because people pay more taxes in New York, and more property taxes.

We have a higher population today than in 2010. So that article is nonsense and highly biased. The notion of people moving to other states for lower taxes has been debunked time and time again.

And, yes, this is about basketball, not right-wing talking points.

Shut it down.

Reaction Score
Nobody is leaving Texas.

No. But if US taxpayers didn't subsidize their flood insurance that might change.

And a lot of the wealth that is moving to Florida is doing so to protect it from bankruptcy laws. In Florida your home is not subject to confiscation, whether it's a 500 sq ft mobile home or a $100 million estate. Lots of people run to Fla and buy an expensive home when their businesses are going under.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom