Statement Game! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Statement Game!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Maybe "motivated" is the wrong word but Geno revealed this week that the team mood in the locker room before the game wasn't right; that they didn't have a pregame tension he wants in the locker room. He said Lou said much the same to him after the game. So, far as I'm concerned, @HoopsFan21 has this right.

Motivated certainly is not the right word. The implication is that the only time a very good team beats UConn, a once in a blue moon event, is when UConn isn’t properly motivated. Pretty much a put down of the other team. It’s a bit of what I call Woody Hayesism where only his team had the right to win. We lost that game largely because Collier had a subpar game and at that it took a fairly difficult shot in OT to beat us. It doesn’t surprise me that after the fact the team was searching for reasons they lost and might just be overstating the locker room atmosphere. Looking loosey goosey can be a mask for nervousness.

Reaction Score
HoopsFan21, have you been drinking the Kool-aid? Mississippi State had the perfect game plan. They were aggressive from the start, putting UConn back on their heels. By the time UConn recovered, it was too late. They were not playing like themselves due to Miss. St.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To be fair we had games like this last season too, and the ending didn't work out because the team just couldn't motivate itself for the Miss St. game.
Talented quick point and physically dominating big are always a tough challenge. More so when they'd been stewing over losing to you for the last year. It was a perfect storm.

I'm looking forward to the rematch. It won't be easy.

Reaction Score
Maybe "motivated" is the wrong word but Geno revealed this week that the team mood in the locker room before the game wasn't right; that they didn't have a pregame tension he wants in the locker room. He said Lou said much the same to him after the game. So, far as I'm concerned, @HoopsFan21 has this right.
"Uconn at home Lullyville will see Jeff--Waltzing out the durr." FOFLOL @BroadwayVa

Waltzing Matilda, waltzing Matilda--I'll come a waltzing Maltilda with you. Walz-ing, is that better?
out the dorr?? better? Or do you object to Lullyville--you know I can't spell Louisville.
I have to admit and I checked the dictionary--I don't have a clue what FOFLOL spells??

A much as I am fearful of arousing your wrath and Geno's anger--I don't really buy the Tension pre game not being as he wanted. Why? Because that statement came months after the game. We all need to step back and see it wasn't being drilled into the ground--it was a combination of missed opportunities: i.e a Frosh missing 2 ft's, a senior making a not great choice, a few previous FT's normally made, and the highly unlikely last second, very last second shot. What did the Tension in locker room have to do with that? Add the presence of 6 ft 7 Mcgowan--???

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
To be fair we had games like this last season too, and the ending didn't work out because the team just couldn't motivate itself for the Miss St. game.
To be fair, I don't necessarily believe it was a lack of motivation. In a recent interview regarding body language, Geno addressed the Miss St loss.

He said basically that in the locker room before the game, he knew the team was doomed. Their body language and chemistry was wrong and deflated (my words not his exactly). His point was that based on the body language even before the game, the staff knew the team was not going to play well.

I don't know what the solution is/was, but one might think a coach as decorated as Geno, who's been to umpteen final 4's, would know how to get the teams' collective heads on straight before a huge game. I mean, isn't that a huge part of the coaches job? Maybe they tried and just weren't successful, but to hear Geno spin it, the team was doomed before they even set foot on the court.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Talented quick point and physically dominating big are always a tough challenge. More so when they'd been stewing over losing to you for the last year. It was a perfect storm.

I'm looking forward to the rematch. It won't be easy.
I have a slightly different take on the loss to MS St. I don’t think it had much to do with motivation, Pheesa’s bad shooting game or Saniya’s decision in OT. In my opinion, UConn lost that game because they were not able to play “championship caliber defense” against MS St.

After watching the Huskies play championship caliber defense against SC last night, I have no concerns with a rematch vs MS St, Baylor or any other team UConn may face in the Big Dance.

Reaction Score
They weren’t motivated. Silly.
Did you see this week's Geno Show? He said the team told him they didn't have it in the locker room before the game. What do you think "it" is? I think it's motivation, the fire, the spark, whatever you want to call it that we see when UConn wants to blow out a top team like they did last night.

Reaction Score
To be fair, I don't necessarily believe it was a lack of motivation. In a recent interview regarding body language, Geno addressed the Miss St loss.

He said basically that in the locker room before the game, he knew the team was doomed. Their body language and chemistry was wrong and deflated (my words not his exactly). His point was that based on the body language even before the game, the staff knew the team was not going to play well.

I don't know what the solution is/was, but one might think a coach as decorated as Geno, who's been to umpteen final 4's, would know how to get the teams' collective heads on straight before a huge game. I mean, isn't that a huge part of the coaches job? Maybe they tried and just weren't successful, but to hear Geno spin it, the team was doomed before they even set foot on the court.

I agree, I don't think it was motivation, it was the lights being too bright for that team. "Wilt", "choke", "succumbed to pressure", whatever words you want to use to describe it, the team played tight. It showed from the first possession where their defense easily picked off one of our passes. Collier missing shots she made 90%+ all year, which frankly continued through the first half of this year (though she has looked much better lately). Nurse and Lou playing tentative. Gabby kept us in that game, but even she was missing layups. Chong reverted to junior-year Chong at exactly the wrong time.

So, to call it "motivation" is wrong. But it was definitely a mental issue. Perhaps last night is an indication that, at least for the Core 4, who were exceptional, they've finally put that game behind them.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Z’s biggest single problem is that she needs to learn to move her feet on defense. Like a lot of big people she’s developed a bad habit of reaching to defend shots. At 6’6”, that works in HS and against lesser college players. Against Wilson and once she gets to the pros, she has to move her feet better to be effective on D.

I’m optimistic that Z will get it. She’s smart, motivated and athletic. Next year I expect her to be a defensive force in the paint for UConn.
Also with her height, she shouldn't have to jump so much when defending in or near the lane. She seems to jump into the opposition waaaaay too much.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Back to the OP...I knew while watching the game that the 2nd half wasn't a repeat of the 1st half but until I saw the stats I hadn't realized that USC "won" the second half, and not due to our bench. Sure, Crystal, Z and Megan didn't play that much and/or weren't effective but a true Statement Game has to be for all 4 quarters. BUT, the 1st half, definitely a STATEMENT!!!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

I saw that interview, and the sense I got was that the teams body language wasn't sending out the message "we've got this". In my opinion, that's not remotely the same as saying they weren't motivated.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Did you see this week's Geno Show? He said the team told him they didn't have it in the locker room before the game. What do you think "it" is? I think it's motivation, the fire, the spark, whatever you want to call it that we see when UConn wants to blow out a top team like they did last night.
Nerves.

Reaction Score
Z’s biggest single problem is that she needs to learn to move her feet on defense. Like a lot of big people she’s developed a bad habit of reaching to defend shots. At 6’6”, that works in HS and against lesser college players. Against Wilson and once she gets to the pros, she has to move her feet better to be effective on D.

I’m optimistic that Z will get it. She’s smart, motivated and athletic. Next year I expect her to be a defensive force in the paint for UConn.

What the heck am I getting to be your parrot? I agree--in the last few games and the U South Carolina game showed i most--she's playing away from them and swatting into the air at them. Getting the fouls called.
This is me---I think Azura needs lessons on playing smalls from behind and Bigs from the front. I'll bet 30,000,000 bit coins (wait 2 months) that Geno today is giving CD and Marisa the speech about WE NEED Z and we need her now---golly darn dang---get it done.

Reaction Score
I saw that interview, and the sense I got was that the teams body language wasn't sending out the message "we've got this". In my opinion, that's not remotely the same as saying they weren't motivated.
Bless you---YOU GOT IT..

Reaction Score
Oh, Broadway. A compliment. Falling On The Floor Laughing Out Loud. Dictionaries of internet abbreviations are available on line.
Are you telling me: MY 1900 unabridge hand printed Webster won't have it?? Not by a long shot--any word worth reading is in that version. Hot dang and voo de O dough--

Reaction Score
"Uconn at home Lullyville will see Jeff--Waltzing out the durr." FOFLOL @BroadwayVa
Rocky---While I honestly didn't follow the FOF I did get the LOL--I thank you for the reply and the direction for Internet speak. No insult taken ---I appreciate your comments and try to play with you with fun intended. Any fan of KIA can't be anything but RIGHT.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
One of the thoughts that occurred to me as I watched last night’s game is that, “Defense wins championships.” As beautiful as UConn’s offensive execution was last night, the Huskies tenacious defense was as good as I’ve ever seen it.

Pheesa and Gabby swarmed all over Wilson forcing her to earn every one of her 14 points on 4-18 shooting. Lou and Kia were all over the court contesting shots and clogging passing lanes.

Most notable, imo, was Danger’s smothering defensive effort on Ty Harris. While Crystal’s shooting was off, on the defensive end she was glued to Harris, playing a tenacious level of defense reminiscent of Mo.

Crystal was so effective that Harris couldn’t even get to spots on the floor to even initiate SC’s offense. As a result, the Gamecocks spent a lot of time on offense, throwing meaningless passes around the perimeter.

Excellent observation OD. ANYTIME you can take a team the caliber of South Carolina out of the game in only 20 minutes, that's beyond exceptional play. As you stated in your other post, "UConn's combination of beautiful execution on offense and suffocating defense all but ended the game by the half." You're also correct in saying that WCBB was watching this game. They wanted to see how good UConn is at this stage of the season (especially if they have the mis-fortune to be assigned to their bracket). They saw everything they needed to see in 20 minutes. They saw UConn's imitation of a "buzz saw". UConn's complete domination of the Gamecocks had to either scare the hell of them, or at the very least render them hopeless. The most impressive thing to me was the fact that they did it on the road, in front of 18,000 screaming frenzied fans (frothing at the mouth) wanting nothing more than to see UConn go down, and go down hard.

The scary thing about the Huskies is even though they only have 8 games remaining in the regular season, they are going to get better between now and then. This was a "Progress Report" to see exactly where the team is. Anyone that saw the game had to be impressed. Beating the defending national champion on their floor by (at times) 30+ points (in the first half) was impressive. I'll say the same thing I say every year, because it's true. No team wants to be in UConn's bracket. When you can hold a top 7 team to 24 points at home in 20 minutes of play, that's impressive. That takes a monumental defensive effort.

I feel a lot better now about the Louisville game in 9 days (their last tune up before the tournaments) than I did before, and they don't have a 6'5" post player. They start 3 guards and 2 forwards, the tallest being 6'3" F Sam Fuehring. That's a game I'd bet the Cardinals are not looking forward to, especially since UConn has not lost a home game in almost 6 years (March 12, 2012 - Notre Dame 61-59). Enough about Louisville. I don't want to look past Cincy, @ UCF or Wichita State, their next 3 opponents. All things in time. Yesterday was a good day. If you're a UConn fan, your chest is sticking out a little further than normal today, and you're wearing a sincere grin. Sunday will be even better. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
oldude- - - right on! I've been saying this for years, if a HS AA or top player truly wants to become the greatest WBB player she can be, she'll go to UCONN!
If she chooses to go elsewhere, and I do understand family, etc., she is making a statement that "I can't take the pressure cooker that UCONN WBB is and I'll take an easier route!
And I was crucified by certain BYers! But it's really simple IMHO when a player graduates HS she is starting the adult part of her life and ties to home are usually broken by then! You go to college, you get a job after college, and work at your career or start a family, home cooking is really a thing of the past!
The star player goes to UCONN learns how to be at her best all the time, works on her skills then go to the WNBA, Europe/Asia , World Teams & the USA Olympic team! Almost a guarantee with a UCONN WBB diploma!
And makes a really good living off the skills she sowed at UCONN!
Personally I was thrilled when A'ja Wilson choose SoCar over UCONN! And if UCONN took care of business vs Miss St both A'ja and Dawn would still be seeking their 1st NC! She wanted to go somewhere she would be the star knowing if she went to UCONN she'd be just one of a talented core of players with a good chance she'd be a star AFTER graduation!
When it comes to the best preparation for success in WBB, there's UCONN, and then there's everyone else!
Just saying!
Rebecca Lobo said it best in her Hall of Fame Speech when she turned to Geno and said, " Coach, everything I've accomplished and everything I've become I owe directly to you, thank you!"
I agree with much of what you're saying about what a U Conn wbb brings for the better players in their careers and livelihood.
Two things though strike me that you might think about. Not every kid or even adult can see the mid and long term, especially in the current world of immediate gratification. It is also possible to view it as being the star college player can also bring its own dividends.
Some will come here for the reasons you stated and others will go elsewhere whatever their reasons, good, bad and indifferent.
Any yes the end of Rebecca's speech was so appreciative of Geno but the whole speech itself speaks volumes about Rebecca, Geno, CD and the program and is culture. It does though require a lot of personal sacrifices.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
In 10 days, Walz will be taking his team inside the bear's den. In all likelihood, UConn will make another statement at the expense of the Cardinals.

Double like!:):):rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Z has a long reach and often uses it well, but I totally agree that she need to improve her footwork considerably. She has the potential to be as good a defender as Stewie, or close to it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom