Statement Game! | The Boneyard

Statement Game!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A few days ago, I started a thread suggesting that last night's game in Columbia would be Dawn's last best chance to beat Geno. Well, the truth is that Dawn never had a chance. UConn's combination of beautiful execution on offense and suffocating defense all but ended the game by the half, and in the process rendered 18,000 fans in Columbia quieter than a bored congregation during a long sermon on a hot Sunday morning.

With the game on national TV, UConn made a statement that was seen and heard throughout women's basketball. In Columbia, SC they experienced the statement up close and personal. In Waco, TX, Starkville, MS, South Bend, IN, Louisville, KY, Knoxville, TN and Columbus, OH the statement was surely heard, and while all the other contenders will press on, somewhere, in the back of their minds, there will be doubt and that uncomfortable feeling, "not this year. maybe next year."

While I would never pretend to understand what a teenage girl is thinking, I'm sure that a number of young ladies around the country also watched and heard last night's statement by UConn. Sam Brunelle, Aliyah Boston, Laeticia Amihere, Paige Bueckers, Azzi Fudd and many others must be asking themselves, "Why would I ever want to play anywhere else?" In fact, the statement was so profound that maybe, just maybe, a young lady named Ezi, from the land downunder, may have heard it.

A few weeks back, after dismantling ND at home, Jeff Walz was asked by a reporter if Louisville should be number one. Walz wisely refused to take the bait stating, "No, you don't want to poke the bear." Unfortunately for Walz and his Louisville Cardinals team, the bear is awake. In 10 days, Walz will be taking his team inside the bear's den. In all likelihood, UConn will make another statement at the expense of the Cardinals.

Reaction Score
A few days ago, I started a thread suggesting that last night's game in Columbia would be Dawn's last best chance to beat Geno. Well, the truth is that Dawn never had a chance. UConn's combination of beautiful execution on offense and suffocating defense all but ended the game by the half, and in the process rendered 18,000 fans in Columbia quieter than a bored congregation during a long sermon on a hot Sunday morning.

With the game on national TV, UConn made a statement that was seen and heard throughout women's basketball. In Columbia, SC they experienced the statement up close and personal. In Waco, TX, Starkville, MS, South Bend, IN, Louisville, KY, Knoxville, TN and Columbus, OH the statement was surely heard, and while all the other contenders will press on, somewhere, in the back of their minds, there will be doubt and that uncomfortable feeling, "not this year. maybe next year."

While I would never pretend to understand what a teenage girl is thinking, I'm sure that a number of young ladies around the country also watched and heard last night's statement by UConn. Sam Brunelle, Aliyah Boston, Laeticia Amihere, Paige Bueckers, Azzi Fudd and many others must be asking themselves, "Why would I ever want to play anywhere else?" In fact, the statement was so profound that maybe, just maybe, a young lady named Ezi, from the land downunder, may have heard it.

A few weeks back, after dismantling ND at home, Jeff Walz was asked by a reporter if Louisville should be number one. Walz wisely refused to take the bait stating, "No, you don't want to poke the bear." Unfortunately for Walz and his Louisville Cardinals team, the bear is awake. In 10 days, Walz will be taking his team inside the bear's den. In all likelihood, UConn will make another statement at the expense of the Cardinals.
\

I especially liked the 3rd paragraph: "Why would I ever want to play anywhere else?" Yes, WHY"?

The USC GAme-Did you take note of Geno's reaction to the team as they left the floor in the first half? He was downright gleeful!! If he has that Glee in most games-he'll coach Uconn until he is 80!!
Great Coaching job, great execution. Walker in the game EARLY.

I'm really worried about Lullyville and Waltz. If Durr gets to go off on Uconn like Aj'a did in the first half--we are doomed, seriously doomed. ]
If Kia plays her typical louzy game as she did against USC--Doomed, just doomed
If KLS, GABBY, Collier play as they did against USC--Doomed
The statement against Lullyville will be--we are doomed
Uconn at home Lullyville will see Jeff--Waltzing out the durr.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I was astonished by the silencing of the crowd.

While the ESPN crew started off-topic chatting, the huge throng just disappeared
And we're speaking of the 1st quarter.

Contrast that with the per-game decibel level that all but drowned out the TV intro.
Also contrast that with the Missouri game, in which the crowd functioned as a sort of bully (or worse).

Dawn was wise to keep her emotions in check, last night. If she would have started up, and ignited negative feelings in the fans the whole country would have turned against her to the extent that her Olympic career might have been in jeopardy.
Especially so as the UConn kids actually beat SC by playing their finesse game...It really wasn't all that physical, it was the precision of offense and the determination of the D

In her post game remarks, she took the beatdown with dignity as did Asia (who must have been enormously disappointed at her (relative) neutralization.

Really an enormous triumph by our crowd.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of the thoughts that occurred to me as I watched last night’s game is that, “Defense wins championships.” As beautiful as UConn’s offensive execution was last night, the Huskies tenacious defense was as good as I’ve ever seen it.

Pheesa and Gabby swarmed all over Wilson forcing her to earn every one of her 14 points on 4-18 shooting. Lou and Kia were all over the court contesting shots and clogging passing lanes.

Most notable, imo, was Danger’s smothering defensive effort on Ty Harris. While Crystal’s shooting was off, on the defensive end she was glued to Harris, playing a tenacious level of defense reminiscent of Mo.

Crystal was so effective that Harris couldn’t even get to spots on the floor to even initiate SC’s offense. As a result, the Gamecocks spent a lot of time on offense, throwing meaningless passes around the perimeter.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I was astonished by the silencing of the crowd.

While the ESPN crew started off-topic chatting, the huge throng just disappeared
And we're speaking of the 1st quarter.

Contrast that with the per-game decibel level that all but drowned out the TV intro.
Also contrast that with the Missouri game, in which the crowd functioned as a sort of bully (or worse).

Dawn was wise to keep her emotions in check, last night. If she would have started up, and ignited negative feelings in the fans the whole country would have turned against her to the extent that her Olympic career might have been in jeopardy.
Especially so as the UConn kids actually beat SC by playing their finesse game...It really wasn't all that physical, it was the precision of offense and the determination of the D

In her post game remarks, she took the beatdown with dignity as did Asia (who must have been enormously disappointed at her (relative) neutralization.

Really an enormous triumph by our crowd.

Dawn had no reason to get emotional last night. It was a clean game. A clean execution via guilotine. The Huskies out-everything the Gamecocks last night and throwing a tantrum does nothing. Last night, She did what she usually does, which is coaching through her point guard. She gave her team a way longer leash than normal though, which surprised me for a game of that magnitude. I guess she wanted to test their resolve.

Contrary to popular belief, Dawn is seated during games MOST of the time. She’s not up shouting and screaming the entire time like a lot of other coaches I can name. I have no idea why she got that reputation.

Reaction Score
Definitely a statement game, and I agree with the above comments about the silencing of the crowd and defense being key for the Huskies.

A week or so ago when Baylor blew out Texas, after back-to-back weak games by us against Texas and Tulsa, causing Geno to openly disparage his bench, dare I say that a tone akin to panic had set in among some on this board. Well, how do you like us now? ;)

Reaction Score
That was an excellent posting olddude. Your points are all spot on.
Why anyone or those named would consider going elsewhere rather than becoming the very best they could be is true!
But I can see two reasons one might choose to not see this clearly. If you are a huge HS star and been admired and recruited since middle school you not only have to be an amazing player you sometimes have a corresponding ego. If our top six players all contributed quite significantly. Sharing that limelight with others even when one has excelled especially in a big game, might be an issue for some.
Also one might rather want to bring down the top gun and or transform a program.
The way the U Conn women played especially the first half was a demonstration of how basketball should be played on both ends of the floor. It's why I watch almost every game they play to see the unselfishness, teamwork, great passing and shooting. Yet all with a humbleness, joy and appreciation for who they are and what they have both been given and accomplished.
On to Louisville and I believe more of the same but again the game is played on the floor, not here or anywhere else.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
One of the thoughts that occurred to me as I watched last night’s game is that, “Defense wins championships.” As beautiful as UConn’s offensive execution was last night, the Huskies tenacious defense was as good as I’ve ever seen it.

Pheesa and Gabby swarmed all over Wilson forcing her to earn every one of her 14 points on 4-18 shooting. Lou and Kia were all over the court contesting shots and clogging passing lanes.

Most notable, imo, was Danger’s smothering defensive effort on Ty Harris. While Crystal’s shooting was off, on the defensive end she was glued to Harris, playing a tenacious level of defense reminiscent of Mo.

Crystal was so effective that Harris couldn’t even get to spots on the floor to even initiate SC’s offense. As a result, the Gamecocks spent a lot of time on offense, throwing meaningless passes around the perimeter.

Think of this-highly touted scoring machine Aj'a was held to 8 points in the first half. That while Dawn decided to go directly to Aj'a thinking Uconn couldn't stop her without fouling. Gabby with Colliers help did a fantastic job on Wilson--just great defense.
Kia and Danger and KLS took out any perimeter threats--great super great team Defense--and Geno Loved it-he was as happy as I've seen him in 2 years.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Think of this-highly touted scoring machine Aj'a was held to 8 points in the first half. That while Dawn decided to go directly to Aj'a thinking Uconn couldn't stop her without fouling. Gabby with Colliers help did a fantastic job on Wilson--just great defense.
Kia and Danger and KLS took out any perimeter threats--great super great team Defense--and Geno Loved it-he was as happy as I've seen him in 2 years.
Someone commented last night that while Wilson had 16 rebounds, many of them were off her own misses.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Dawn had no reason to get emotional last night. It was a clean game. A clean execution via guilotine. The Huskies out-everything the Gamecocks last night and throwing a tantrum does nothing. Last night, She did what she usually does, which is coaching through her point guard. She gave her team a way longer leash than normal though, which surprised me for a game of that magnitude. I guess she wanted to test their resolve.

Contrary to popular belief, Dawn is seated during games MOST of the time. She’s not up shouting and screaming the entire time like a lot of other coaches I can name. I have no idea why she got that reputation.
SCG, your comments are appreciated as always. Last night’s game had to be tough for Gamecock fans. A number of we Husky fans could profit from the example you set with your thoughtful and magnanimous posts.

Reaction Score

I stated in the pre-game thread that UConn would win by 20+ and make this a statement game. I just felt they were starting to gel, the players comments seemed to indicate their eye was turning to March and this was the game (National Champs) to make it happen. Especially since this game and and Louisville were the only two big games left. The only negatives for me was our bench play, obviously speaking of Z and MW. It thought they would contribute a bit more. Great overall game!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The only negatives for me was our bench play, obviously speaking of Z and MW. It thought they would contribute a bit more. Great overall game!
Columbia, SC is a tough place to play for the 1st time. If you recall, 2 years ago, as a freshman, Lou was pretty much invisible in that game. Fortunately, the Big 3 + Kia did all the heavy lifting necessary. Last night, the 4 UConn veterans that played in that game 2 years ago were all splendid.

Reaction Score

DAWn---yOU missed the most important part of the game--DAWN's Dog!! What it wears, etc.
If you didn't take that away from the Game--you can't call yourself a Dawn Fan---like those calling the game.
I guess this is more argumentative than I intend: In a lot of the game Dawn was up walking past the scorers table shouting to her team--seems like she was out of the coaching area.
Now, I believe coaches coach--Geno was up much of the game and verbally directing at times, cheer leading at other times. Dawn may have been seated more than normal--she did stroll a bit far and wide during the Uconn affair.

Reaction Score
Someone commented last night that while Wilson had 16 rebounds, many of them were off her own misses.

Yes Wilson played volley ball under the boards often, against a much shorter Gabby.

I'm almost fearful to ask this question, so I'll preface it with: This was a Uconn Azura learning game. I.e learning Uconn type D on a Big.
Azura got 3 fouls, 2 amazingly quick, and was (in the first half at least) less than effective. I, this whole year, hopefully she was Uconn's answer for all bigs. Maybe not in Defense, she isn't heavy enough for many, but offensively. Obviously, Z was working and trying too hard. I' would have had her front Aj'a keeping the ball from her, behind her she was asking for fouls.
Question: What did Azura learn that Geno must have her learn as Uconn goes forward. (Part 2) If she were to opt WNBA how would that game effect her ranking in the lottery?

Reaction Score
To be fair we had games like this last season too, and the ending didn't work out because the team just couldn't motivate itself for the Miss St. game.
Assuming this is not a joke: Uconn was motivated for the final game they played. McGowan, Itty Bitty and a crazy good defense by Miss St won that game by less than the skin of their teeth. A couple of missed FT's by a frosh, an indecision by an less experienced Senior and a last second shot --
How is any of that to be considered ----"couldn't motivate itself" ?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Yes Wilson played volley ball under the boards often, against a much shorter Gabby.

I'm almost fearful to ask this question, so I'll preface it with: This was a Uconn Azura learning game. I.e learning Uconn type D on a Big.
Azura got 3 fouls, 2 amazingly quick, and was (in the first half at least) less than effective. I, this whole year, hopefully she was Uconn's answer for all bigs. Maybe not in Defense, she isn't heavy enough for many, but offensively. Obviously, Z was working and trying too hard. I' would have had her front Aj'a keeping the ball from her, behind her she was asking for fouls.
Question: What did Azura learn that Geno must have her learn as Uconn goes forward. (Part 2) If she were to opt WNBA how would that game effect her ranking in the lottery?

I thought she was relatively ineffective in all aspects of her play
and that her contribution was decidedly minimal.

She still has a huge amount to learn about being useful on both ends in a high
stakes game like this. I do hope she stays and picks it up next year.

In many ways, her play seemed like a freshman, which in a sense, she is.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Z’s biggest single problem is that she needs to learn to move her feet on defense. Like a lot of big people she’s developed a bad habit of reaching to defend shots. At 6’6”, that works in HS and against lesser college players. Against Wilson and once she gets to the pros, she has to move her feet better to be effective on D.

I’m optimistic that Z will get it. She’s smart, motivated and athletic. Next year I expect her to be a defensive force in the paint for UConn.

Reaction Score

oldude- - - right on! I've been saying this for years, if a HS AA or top player truly wants to become the greatest WBB player she can be, she'll go to UCONN!
If she chooses to go elsewhere, and I do understand family, etc., she is making a statement that "I can't take the pressure cooker that UCONN WBB is and I'll take an easier route!
And I was crucified by certain BYers! But it's really simple IMHO when a player graduates HS she is starting the adult part of her life and ties to home are usually broken by then! You go to college, you get a job after college, and work at your career or start a family, home cooking is really a thing of the past!
The star player goes to UCONN learns how to be at her best all the time, works on her skills then go to the WNBA, Europe/Asia , World Teams & the USA Olympic team! Almost a guarantee with a UCONN WBB diploma!
And makes a really good living off the skills she sowed at UCONN!
Personally I was thrilled when A'ja Wilson choose SoCar over UCONN! And if UCONN took care of business vs Miss St both A'ja and Dawn would still be seeking their 1st NC! She wanted to go somewhere she would be the star knowing if she went to UCONN she'd be just one of a talented core of players with a good chance she'd be a star AFTER graduation!
When it comes to the best preparation for success in WBB, there's UCONN, and then there's everyone else!
Just saying!
Rebecca Lobo said it best in her Hall of Fame Speech when she turned to Geno and said, " Coach, everything I've accomplished and everything I've become I owe directly to you, thank you!"

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
?????? You are joking, right?

Maybe "motivated" is the wrong word but Geno revealed this week that the team mood in the locker room before the game wasn't right; that they didn't have a pregame tension he wants in the locker room. He said Lou said much the same to him after the game. So, far as I'm concerned, @HoopsFan21 has this right.

Reaction Score
I thought she was relatively ineffective in all aspects of her play
and that her contribution was decidedly minimal.

She still has a huge amount to learn about being useful on both ends in a high
stakes game like this. I do hope she stays and picks it up next year.

In many ways, her play seemed like a freshman, which in a sense, she is.

Yes , I agree. My best guess is she will return for another season, she didn't get the education required of a big at Duke, that's obvious. She is an offensive threat and her shooting could be excellent. Confidence, nerves, (?) , appear to be holding her back.
Her thin frame, does not allow her to bang with true bigs.
I still have expectation for her this season--she will be required in some games where Gabby/Collier is in significant foul trouble

Changing subject: Did you notice Kia and others were feeding "the kid" Walker trying hard to get a clean shot and give her chance to score--looked at times as Mama taking care of her duckling, Kia is just everything to everyone and a perfect Senior leader.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom