Statement Game ... Lack of Progress | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Statement Game ... Lack of Progress

Reaction Score
Wait a minute. Some of you guys said Matt King played music and built these guys into mastadons. And that Beaudry was a way better passer than Pindell. Did not see it tonight.

Reaction Score
Aloha,

Nice to get a victory today. But red flags appeared all over the defensive side, despite the tame stats.

Watching this Wagner game, especially the defense, tells me that it's going to be another great offensive season - for most Huskie FBS opponents - & a very long one for our fans. Once again, the defense's collective & individual instincts & fundamentals are simply not there across the board. The inability to tackle. And they got tired. At least the offense (running potential) & punter didn't stink as much as D. Our QB is terrible - no deep accuracy or decisiveness, no vision, & he's soft, IMO.

In watching this close game against NEC "powerhouse" Wagner, does anyone else get the feeling that it wouldn't be a terrible idea if UConn Football actually did rejoin the FCS & played other regional teams in historic rivalries in the Colonial Athletic Association? I mean UNH, Villanova & James Madison could kick our butts most years.

And let's forget becoming a patsy, mercenary as a losing independent like UMASS in the future. Losing like that is bad for a school's collective psyche (as today's win was). Hey, maybe UMass could even come along with us to the NEC. It would allow the athletic department to dig out of debt more quickly & cut travel expenses (the MAC wouldn't help much here). And we could rekindle the regional rivalries we've always loved, even if they were a long time ago. Why not?

This game showed me once again that FCS - not FBS or Independent FBS - is the level at which UConn Football plays and should play. They were one play or turnover away from losing this to Wagner. One play - at home! To Wagner!

Worse, there are actually more elite athletes from Florida (where the big time athletic football dogs are raised) on Wagner than on UConn's roster. What will entice them up to Storrs, our weather, our stellar FBS record or Randy's days-gone-by BS? And what does a close victory over a losing FCS program tell recruits about the prospects of playing big-time football at UConn? That they can help turn it around with Edsall & his great offensive instincts & sets? Aint gonna happen.

However, I was glad for the victory today.

alohachris

Last edited:

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Let's get this out of the way right now. We're running the offense Edsall wants us to run the way he wants it run and it almost cost us the game tonight. A lot of players not used or not utilized enough so we could do the same thing over and over. So conservative late in games.
There's not much talent on the roster, which maybe makes the playcalling somewhat less of an issue but THERE'S NOT MUCH TALENT ON THE ROSTER which is on the coaches and how is this different from the Diaco era exactly? We're supposed to hang our hat on somewhat competent OL play against uhhhhhhh Wagner?

Reaction Score
Ok, everyone chill. Wow.

We aren't going to be good but this is all a bit much.

Beaudry was fine. He will be fine. He made a lot of nice throws, made a couple bad ones, was limited by some really awful playcalling but he was totally fine. 385 total yards? Fine.

Our offensive line was pretty bad in run blocking, but for the most part held up a wall pass blocking.

Thompson is good. Mensah was pretty meh.

Our Running game generally was incredibly disappointing.

Drayton is good. Maurisseau(sp?) is good. I've always believed Donaldson should get more burn. Fine at WR.

Do we have TEs?

Defense was fine. CBs covered competitively. We have 4-5 competent DL, Dillon Harris, Kevin Jones, and DJ Morgan are solid. Most of the game was actually fine. Got tired and lost focus in 2nd half but honestly 185 yards and 14 pts? I don't care if it's FCS or Southington High, after last year we take that all day.

The fact is that we were massively inefficient. Fumble, turnover on downs, dropped TD, timely penalties, pick six, all in plus territory.

This game was 24-21. It could have just as well been 42-14.

They aren't good. But they aren't historically embarrassing like last year. So, progress?
I don't know how you can find any positives out of that game. That was an awful Wagner team and an awful performance from UConn.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The play calling was incredibly predictable, and players were not properly utilized. I don't think the players themselves were all that bad.
ringing endorsement of our recruiting. "not all that bad"

Reaction Score
All of Beaudry's deep passes were either overthrown or wide left or right of the receiver. What really scares me about him is he has no awareness of the defense, if he doesn't improve fast he will set the UConn record for most picks by a QB in one season.
This is all on Edsall, why Krajewski didn't start is a mystery to me.
It didn’t think he played poorly. The receivers got zero separation against FCS level DBs. He under-threw one open guy. The pick 6 was play calling. They were jumping the same primary route which was run over and over all gave. The 4th and short call was horrendous. You take a 6’5” 240 QB and run a sneak. We might have exchanged a clown DC for a no experience clown OC.

Reaction Score
All of Beaudry's deep passes were either overthrown or wide left or right of the receiver. What really scares me about him is he has no awareness of the defense, if he doesn't improve fast he will set the UConn record for most picks by a QB in one season.
This is all on Edsall, why Krajewski didn't start is a mystery to me.

I do agree with you though on Mason Donaldson, Drayton, and Maurisseau. Actually said that a couple days ago in another post.
You were dead wrong about the team. Dead wrong. So you start blaming the staff?

Reaction Score
Wait a minute. Some of you guys said Matt King played music and built these guys into mastadons. And that Beaudry was a way better passer than Pindell. Did not see it tonight.
Beaudry IS a better passer than Pindell in the sense that he can put some zip on the ball, Pindell never could. Beaudry's problem is he throws it to the defense.

Reaction Score
You were dead wrong about the team. Dead wrong. So you start blaming the staff?
No I wasn't, I was dead wrong about the coaches. Who are you blaming, the players? GFY, and go find someone else to attack, dpsht.

Reaction Score
I think there are a lot of positives to take away. The game was not as close as the final score. Defense is much better, running game looks great, our punt returner is excellent, and kicking and punting we’re solid. QB was a little shaky especially on pick six but he made some nice throws as well. I’m optimistic we’re going to beat Ilinois

Reaction Score
It's amusing how we were doing well not so long ago but after some downtime, think we're only suited for the FCS.

Cannot believe the logic our fans come up with.

Reaction Score
No I wasn't, I was dead wrong about the coaches. Who are you blaming, the players? GFY, and go find someone else to attack, dpsht.

Shocking (but not really) to see how many people are talking blowout. I don’t care how bad Wagner was last year, I’ll believe we can blow somebody out when I see it.
At least they gave a prediction, all you did was talk out your @ ss. Typical.
28-21 huskies. Hope that makes you feel better, Rob.
Obviously we disagree, but thanks. I just feel from talking to some former players who have been to the practices that this is a very different team from last year. Edsall made two great hires in Spanos and Matt King Kong. I'm sticking with 52-14. Also hearing that Beaudry does not have the QB position locked up yet, but he will probably get the nod.
1. Who attacked who?
2. 38 point difference (you) vs. 3 point difference (reality) isn’t all on the coaching.

Reaction Score
It didn’t think he played poorly. The receivers got zero separation against FCS level DBs. He under-threw one open guy. The pick 6 was play calling. They were jumping the same primary route which was run over and over all gave. The 4th and short call was horrendous. You take a 6’5” 240 QB and run a sneak. We might have exchanged a clown DC for a no experience clown OC.
He under-threw one open guy and overthrew two more. Not sure if you noticed but several of his passes would have been picked off by faster FBS level DB's, not just the pick six. He's a decent QB and I'm glad he's on the team, but Krajewski should be our starting QB.

Reaction Score
The people hating on Beaudry are nuts. The interception was horrible and he needs to improve on his deep ball accuracy, but he clearly has a workable skill set and he can definitely play at this level. BTW Skanes dropped a TD pass.

Reaction Score
1. Who attacked who?
2. 38 point difference (you) vs. 3 point difference (reality) isn’t all on the coaching.
Look I already said I was wrong about Edsall, ok so give it up. This team has some talent, I'll argue that till tomorrow, but in Edsall's hands they are bad.

Reaction Score
The playcalling was terrible. Absolutely terrible. I saw no philosophy besides "run the ball unless you can't, and even then, sometimes run the ball"
Having season tickets and my wifes' visiting relatives from Germany - I took one to the game tonight. He understands English to a certain point but certainly not enough to understand football in the slightest. He enjoyed the atmosphere but admitted he was confused on the ride home. I asked him what questions he might have. He asked, "why did they keep going up the middle?". I couldn't help but smile from a man who just watched his first American football game including TV could tell that the offense was just vanilla. It was that obvious even though the running game had some good success.

That said some positives as others had pointed out but cannot close the deal on most drives. Deja vu all over again.

Reaction Score
He under-threw one open guy and overthrew two more. Not sure if you noticed but several of his passes would have been picked off by faster FBS level DB's, not just the pick six. He's a decent QB and I'm glad he's on the team, but Krajewski should be our starting QB.
He almost got picked 2 other times on the same route in the flat that somehow where completed. On the last one he pulled back the trigger and then floated one over the defender. You simply can’t live on read runs and edge passes all day. We basically threw the entire middle of the field away. Crap play calling. I’d like to see them use the entire field in the pass game. Stretch the middle linebackers and create more space. 1 pass to a tight end. Inexcusable.

Reaction Score
Need to get more touches for Thompkins, he is a player for sure .

The defense will be better and I think overall the team is improved compared to last year, but how can you trust Edsall in a winnable game going forward? He played not to lose against an FCS team that we outgained by 200 yards. Thank god for the facemask penalty on the last 3rd down....

Reaction Score
He almost got picked 2 other times on the same route in the flat that somehow where completed. On the last one he pulled back the trigger and then floated one over the defender. You simply can’t live on read runs and edge passes all day. We basically threw the entire middle of the field away. Crap play calling. I’d like to see them use the entire field in the pass game. Stretch the middle linebackers and create more space. 1 pass to a tight end. Inexcusable.
Well if Edsall starts him next week hopefully Beaudry will have learned from his first game, watching film, etc. That being said, I still think Krajewski is a far more talented QB based on what I saw August 4th.

Reaction Score
Need to get more touches for Thompkins, he is a player for sure .

The defense will be better and I think overall the team is improved compared to last year, but how can you trust Edsall in a winnable game going forward? He played not to lose against an FCS team that we outgained by 200 yards. Thank god for the facemask penalty on the last 3rd down....
Fire him and his staff right now. All the preseason and off season transfers by some really good players is looking very telling now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom