State of the Program Address - An Extensive Preview of the 2014-15 Huskies | Page 2 | The Boneyard

State of the Program Address - An Extensive Preview of the 2014-15 Huskies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I appreciate the feedback. Would be happy to address any questions, criticisms, concerns of my well being, etc. I appreciate @tcf15 allowing me to use his videos even though I didn't ask, they were a big help.

Reaction Score
I appreciate the feedback. Would be happy to address any questions, criticisms, concerns of my well being, etc. I appreciate @tcf15 allowing me to use his videos even though I didn't ask, they were a big help.

I like this...

"Terrence Samuel played enough last season that I’m comfortable penciling him in as an excellent defensive player. He moves well enough laterally to defend point guards, but his true value lies in his strength. Reminiscent of Chauncey Billups, Samuel possesses enough girth to defend small forwards, possibly even power forwards in short stretches, contributing to a switch-friendly defense that prevents cross-matching and devastating screens. I would be surprised if Samuel was not playing crunch-time minutes this season."

Reaction Score
I like this...

"Terrence Samuel played enough last season that I’m comfortable penciling him in as an excellent defensive player. He moves well enough laterally to defend point guards, but his true value lies in his strength. Reminiscent of Chauncey Billups, Samuel possesses enough girth to defend small forwards, possibly even power forwards in short stretches, contributing to a switch-friendly defense that prevents cross-matching and devastating screens. I would be surprised if Samuel was not playing crunch-time minutes this season."

It's going to be really interesting to see how the guard rotation shakes out. Samuel was extremely impressive in the tournament last year, but it was a short sample, and he couldn't have been thrust into a better situation (along two veteran guards to relieve the pressure). Now that he's been scouted, we'll see how he adapts - I have no idea how much his jump shot has developed, but even if it hasn't, some guys have the tendency to get where they want on the court. Terrence might be one of them.

Reaction Score
It's going to be really interesting to see how the guard rotation shakes out. Samuel was extremely impressive in the tournament last year, but it was a short sample, and he couldn't have been thrust into a better situation (along two veteran guards to relieve the pressure). Now that he's been scouted, we'll see how he adapts - I have no idea how much his jump shot has developed, but even if it hasn't, some guys have the tendency to get where they want on the court. Terrence might be one of them.

I don't expect much consistency to start the season this year from TSam outside of 15 feet. Just like Purvis I think his game will progress as the season unfolds and they log more real time game action. This pretty much falls directly into your prognostication of some early season inconsistencies as a team in general and more notably these 2 players in particular. It is my belief both of these players are the quintessential example of KO'S repeated preseason reference that this will be a "process". It is my hope that we can just survive the PR Tournament without a loss and learn and grow from playing middle of the road bubble teams.

Tomorrow I will print out your post and try and read closer. I have just given your postings a cursory reading so far.

You have a special talent 0904. You should expand your skill set beyond the BY if you haven't already. Let me know if you have. Your posts are a pleasure to read.

Reaction Score
This is very powerful (in bold). When dissecting the mind of a leader/KO the below references are very poignant. This is a guy not accepting of the status quo. The last 2 years I have grown to be totally sold on Kevin Ollie as a person and a coach. He is an amazing human being with Hall of Fame potential as a basketball coach. Assuming he continues down this path. As Calhoun might say "The guy is special..." We are very very very very fortunate to have KO. His craft on the recruiting trail and on the sidelines is going to continue to grow exponentially.

Shortly thereafter, Ollie recalled another discussion he had with his players in which he referenced the great John Wooden to communicate the challenge that would await his team: “A lot of people can do it when their back is against the wall. Everybody in this room can do it with their backs against the wall because we fight – we’re all fighters. But can you do it when you’re on top of the mountain? How do you stay there? You stay there with character. Talent will get there; character will allow you to stay there. You stay there with character, you stay there with heart, you stay there with will.”

Reaction Score
It's hard to disagree with any of that. Samuel and Purvis will likely combine flashes of brilliance with the sort of mistakes that will give KO headaches. Samuel has a lot of Taliek Brown in him, IMO.

Couldn't have said it better on Ollie. There are only a handful of guys in all of sports that would be as qualified to help kids avoid complacency. The man is simply a walking quote machine - there are very few people who can completely command a room when they talk, but he has that gift.

I haven't written much outside this board, but I'll let you know if I do. I appreciate your contributions to this board.

Reaction Score
This thread deserves to be moved back up to the top of the board amid the panic stricken recruiting folks.

Reaction Score
"There are virtually no teams in America that can offer two big men who can shoot from deep" page 23 of 32

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The big man tandem I can think of might be Kyle Wiltjer & Domantas Sabonis (both 6-10 but DS won't extend to 3 often). Assuming an overrated Karnowski gets sent packing to the pine for extended minutes by mid season the above duo could be formidable from deep.

I thought the Villanova breakdown was exceptional. You might want to forward to Groce from Illinois and Smart from VCU. On the other hand skip Smart! :) Both play Nova in OOC games. I know for a fact Groce is trying to implement some UConn based motivational themes like 10 toes in. He would like to hear from you.

I think Illinois will be a tough out in the Tournament this year as a plus 5 seed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's hard to disagree with any of that. Samuel and Purvis will likely combine flashes of brilliance with the sort of mistakes that will give KO headaches. Samuel has a lot of Taliek Brown in him, IMO.

Couldn't have said it better on Ollie. There are only a handful of guys in all of sports that would be as qualified to help kids avoid complacency. The man is simply a walking quote machine - there are very few people who can completely command a room when they talk, but he has that gift.

I haven't written much outside this board, but I'll let you know if I do. I appreciate your contributions to this board.

Extending your passion and craft to others within or even outside of the UConn community could be an viable option. We share the same enthusiasm for Ollie. I had to buy in though and I have 100%. I was ten toes in before the championship.

Thank you,

Bluedog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member