State of the American | The Boneyard

State of the American

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Such a strange year because SMU is clearly the best team in this league (although I am curious how long they can continue to play with a 7 man rotation). But with them being ineligible for the conference tournament/NCAAs, who will take the reign and be the No. 1 seed and favorite in the conference tournament in March in Orlando. A quick look at where we are at sans SMU with the real contenders.

Memphis 3-1 (an underrated team who has played 3 out of 4 at home so far. Big game at Cincy this week).
UCF 3-1 (played East Carolina and USF so far. Blown out by SMU. Schedule will catch up to them).
Temple 4-2 (played a tough road schedule with games at UCONN/Cincy/Memphis. Think they will surprise).
UCONN 3-2 (a chance to improve with 3 homes game in a row, 2 against American opponents).
Houston 3-2 (plays at SMU next).
Cincy 3-3 (should have beaten SMU. Lost a ton of games in last minute, but very dangerous).

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
We can do really well when everyone is on. SMU is very good. Looks like they have been playing together since birth. We need to trash Temple at home. Start of the season, I saw Temple play on TV. I knew they were going to be a thorn in the side. We go to Temple for this one. Brimah in full swing.

About SMU. They are banned from post play. We all know that the conference champs gets an invite to the dance. So, if SMU wins the conference, but is banned, that means there will be no conference champ to the dance? Which means, win the conference tournament?

Reaction Score
About SMU. They are banned from post play. We all know that the conference champs gets an invite to the dance. So, if SMU wins the conference, but is banned, that means there will be no conference champ to the dance? Which means, win the conference tournament?
Conference tourney champs get the auto-bid to the NCAAs, not reg season conference champs. SMU isn't playing in the AAC tourney, so it won't be a problem.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
At this late date, you still have no idea how the automatic qualifier is chosen?

Good god, man.

The conference champion is whoever wins the American Conference Tournament.

SMU is very good.

UConn, Temple, Memphis, Tulsa and Cincinnati are in a muddle of teams that might be good or should be good, but haven't shown that they are good. My guess is that two of that group eventually get a bid.

I'm just not sold on Houston in any capacity yet.

UCF, USF, Tulane and ECU are dreck.

Reaction Score
I feel like Houston could beat anyone by 30 or lose to anyone by 30. At least we will always win/lose within 10.

Reaction Score
Conference tourney champs get the auto-bid to the NCAAs, not reg season conference champs. SMU isn't playing in the AAC tourney, so it won't be a problem.

I don't know if the AAC does it this way, but back in the BE days, you'd get a trophy that said, Big East Regular Season Champions, and then there was also a trophy that said, Big East Champions. So I always assumed the BE considered its champ the tourney champ.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
At this late date, you still have no idea how the automatic qualifier is chosen?

Good god, man.

The conference champion is whoever wins the American Conference Tournament.

SMU is very good.

UConn, Temple, Memphis, Tulsa and Cincinnati are in a muddle of teams that might be good or should be good, but haven't shown that they are good. My guess is that two of that group eventually get a bid.

I'm just not sold on Houston in any capacity yet.

UCF, USF, Tulane and ECU are dreck.
Okay my mistake, didn't thimk right. I
I don't know if the AAC does it this way, but back in the BE days, you'd get a trophy that said, Big East Regular Season Champions, and then there was also a trophy that said, Big East Champions. So I always assumed the BE considered its champ the tourney champ.
My mistake as Fishy pointed out. I thought the Regular Season Conference Champions get the bid. That's why teams had last chance to score the dance if they won the Conference Tournament.
Again,my bad.

Reaction Score
Actually there was a period in the 90s when the Big East didn't even give a regular season trophy. UConn had its own banner made but the league didn't officially recognize a regular season champ. Once they started again they did so retroactively and recognized all the unofficial ones too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom