State of Northeastern College Football | The Boneyard

State of Northeastern College Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The Northeast used to be a significant power in college football. Penn St, Syracuse, Boston College, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, etc were all Top 25 programs 20 years ago.

It is sad to think about the state of Northeast College Football right now! Think about it:

Boston College : The worst they have ever been and only look to be getting worse. One of the worst BCS programs in the country and on a downward spiral. Has been stuck as the outsider in a Southern Conference.

Syracuse: Has been one of the worst BCS programs in the last 5 years. About to become BC part II.

Penn St: Was the true NE power and one of a few true national powers. On the field, they have certainly gone down hill in the past 10 years. And we all know what is in store for them in the short term with the latest scandle.

WVU: While very good a few years ago, they are definately on a downward trend and are going to be a true outsider in the Big 12 conference. There is little doubt that they will become the BC of the Big 12 within 10 years.

Pitt: Have not been a good program for at least 10 years now. They are also at one of their low points and are joining the ACC to become another outsider.

Mayrland: Has been talked about at length on this board...so not much more needs to be said. They are very bad right now and their program is on the ropes. Their future does not look bright.

In summary...Northeast football has been completely neutered. It really is too bad. While it might be an opportunity for UConn to rise...it is still completely depressing to see what has become of what was once a proud tradition of NE football!:(

Reaction Score
The Northeast used to be a significant power in college football. Penn St, Syracuse, Boston College, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, etc were all Top 25 programs 20 years ago.

It is sad to think about the state of Northeast College Football right now! Think about it:

Boston College : The worst they have ever been and only look to be getting worse. One of the worst BCS programs in the country and on a downward spiral. Has been stuck as the outsider in a Southern Conference.

Syracuse: Has been one of the worst BCS programs in the last 5 years. About to become BC part II.

Penn St: Was the true NE power and one of a few true national powers. On the field, they have certainly gone down hill in the past 10 years. And we all know what is in store for them in the short term with the latest scandle.

WVU: While very good a few years ago, they are definately on a downward trend and are going to be a true outsider in the Big 12 conference. There is little doubt that they will become the BC of the Big 12 within 10 years.

Pitt: Have not been a good program for at least 10 years now. They are also at one of their low points and are joining the ACC to become another outsider.

Mayrland: Has been talked about at length on this board...so not much more needs to be said. They are very bad right now and their program is on the ropes. Their future does not look bright.

In summary...Northeast football has been completely neutered. It really is too bad. While it might be an opportunity for UConn to rise...it is still completely depressing to see what has become of what was once a proud tradition of NE football!:(
That being said there still are a lot of 4 and 5 star recruits up this way. I don't mean to sound like a vulture but I hope CoachPP can get some of the Penn State recruits who have reopened their recruiting or frosh who want to transfer.

Reaction Score
Pitt has always been Pitt. They are like a suckier version of Klempson.

Reaction Score
All the more room for UConn football to flourish my friend. All the more room.

The big east conference, I believe, is directly responsible for the lack of a northeastern USA football conference including all those teams listed.

But, hey, the big east conference is also the reason that the one founding member left with a big time football program has all that room to grow.

Think about it this way, given the determination, and ability the league has shown in building the most powerful basketball conference in the country.

Imagine what they can do if they put that same kind of determination and energy into making a football conference the best in the country.

They had the programs all lined up to make it an easy task for many, many years. But we're probably playing VIllanova regularly if they took the initiative years ago.

I hope that losing Boston College, Miami, Syracuse, and Pittsburgh and failing to do anything except coddle Notre Dame football, and reject Penn State football (current PSU evenst completely unrelated) as of 2011, has finally, finally motivated these fellows over there in Rhode Island to start to put the same kind of effort around football, that they ave for 30 years on basketball.

Forming a broad, national conference and creating a format of scheduling and league play with championsips, that would be the blueprint to finally getting to a playoff system in place and eradicating the lack of a national championship roadmap system for all 120 teams would be a nice way to make up for the lack of attention to the sport for so long.

Reaction Score
It had the most significant place in gridiron football history. It started here.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Lately they've been the engine that could beat UConn. 4 years in a row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I blame the invention of air conditioning.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Army was a powerhouse in the first half of the 20th century, Princeton and Yale have won the most national championships, Harvard has 8 of them, Columbia has won a national title. I dont remember watching these power houses.

Reaction Score
Lately they've been the engine that could beat UConn. 4 years in a row.

Three years, but who's counting? We won in 2007, and haven't yet played this year. Hope your not reading your crystal ball and seeing this year's result.

Reaction Score
We are beyond terrible this year. Sad thing is we can compete with most of the NE teams showing how bad the NE schools are right now. We just need a new coach. Spaz is the worst coach in college football right now. The OL isn't very good it's actually pretty bad except for Bobby Vardaro. Secondary is horrendous, and the only pass rushers we have on the DL are all true FR. Talent is there in most positions but the coaching and experience are terrible if Spaz isn't fired next year will be ugly too.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
We are beyond terrible this year. Sad thing is we can compete with most of the NE teams showing how bad the NE schools are right now. We just need a new coach. Spaz is the worst coach in college football right now. The OL isn't very good it's actually pretty bad except for Bobby Vardaro. Secondary is horrendous, and the only pass rushers we have on the DL are all true FR. Talent is there in most positions but the coaching and experience are terrible if Spaz isn't fired next year will be ugly too.
Does Spaz have any protection by being a "BC Guy"? I thought Gene valued loyalty over competence?

Reaction Score

Thought he just signed an extension?

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Three years, but who's counting? We won in 2007, and haven't yet played this year. Hope your not reading your crystal ball and seeing this year's result.

Good catch. I really hope we don't lose to them this year. Unlike Edsall, PPPantz hasn't lost to Schiano.

Reaction Score
Yeah he did sign an extension which was stupid to beginning. The whole BC guy thing probably helps but if we win 2 games he has to go. Knowing our AD he will be back because he's cheap. Then the excuse for the season will be injuries and youth. And then we'll be pathetic again next year :(

Reaction Score
To UConnSportsGuy,
I was going to post a similar post. My thoughts exactly.

Northeastern football has taking a hit the past few years. Plus, structurally, it doesn't appear that it will improve anytime soon. I will add the fact with population demographics shifting south, along with our economic output, it may stay staggnet.

The bright spot. If the Big East revamps and is on solid footing we can become the Boise State of the Northeast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom