State of College Football | The Boneyard

State of College Football

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I thought these podcasts where interesting. They explore the state of the conferences, the possibilities of alignment changes (they like the B12 to finally be pushed to do something at some point and that might be a scheduling alliance with the P12...but don't hold your breath), the realities of SEC dominance, and the push to expand the playoff.

On the playoff, they seem to think we are headed to something bigger than 8 schools and they float the idea of making the season shorter by 1 game to make it work better. They also point out that the P5 are likely to protect this playoff from those lowly G5 schools. Instead they will be expanding the playoff so that schools like Tennessee and USC can re-energize their fanbases.

All worth a listen for rational discussion and rumination.

Reaction Score
It's quite evident sports organizations and people being overly fanatical have been taken advantage of by people to create jobs out of nothing and get themselves paid well. I expect the SEC and B1G programs to hire barbers and manicurists, if they already haven't.

Reaction Score
Expect soon, Wolfgang Puck as Training table chef....

Alabama has a new $15 million dining hall for athletes...

The building includes two floors with outdoor patios on both the upper and lower levels overlooking Alabama’s football practice fields. It features more than 50 flat screen TVs, 10 cook-to-order stations, plus a fuel center for snacks and shakes. Five chefs, four dieticians....

At Clemson...Clemson opened a $55 million football-only building featuring a dining hall where a player's biometric readings help determine his recommended diet for the day. The player puts his thumb on a scanner and steps on a scale, and his personal menu is produced based on the information gleaned from the readings.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I hear Alabama bought a crisper and a super computer (laugh now, cry in 10 years...or less).

Reaction Score
Even UAB has a supercomputer.....

UAB IT Research Computing maintains the Cheaha Supercomputer. Named after the Cheaha mountain, or Mount Cheaha, the highest natural point in Alabama. Cheaha is currently the largest and fastest supercomputer in the state of Alabama with a theoretical throughput of approximately 528 TFLOPS and consists of over 3500 CPU cores and 72 NVIDIA-P100 GPU’s. Cheaha is supported by a high-speed parallel filesystem that can store 6 PB of data (raw) interconnected by a high speed infiniband network.

The article on CRISPR research is interesting...

My sexist observation...we didn't have Ph.D researchers in my day that looked like that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought these podcasts where interesting. They explore the state of the conferences, the possibilities of alignment changes (they like the B12 to finally be pushed to do something at some point and that might be a scheduling alliance with the P12...but don't hold your breath), the realities of SEC dominance, and the push to expand the playoff.

On the playoff, they seem to think we are headed to something bigger than 8 schools and they float the idea of making the season shorter by 1 game to make it work better. They also point out that the P5 are likely to protect this playoff from those lowly G5 schools. Instead they will be expanding the playoff so that schools like Tennessee and USC can re-energize their fanbases.

All worth a listen for rational discussion and rumination.

Home games are big money makers for P5 schools. The only way they consider giving up any games is if the playoff expansion more than covers the lost revenue significantly.

Any playoff expansion will only mean more seats at the table for the P5. They are not going to start giving any auto-bids to the G5.

Very little, if any, additional revenue generated by an expanded playoff will find its way to G5 schools

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I just can't anymore with anything about CFB nationally. It's all about the same 10 teams and the P5. It's the same garbage spewed in different ways. The whole realignment bit drained me and has left me with nothing but interest in UConn and that's it. We all know how this will end.....

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I hear Alabama bought a crisper and a super computer (laugh now, cry in 10 years...or less).
“We are just trying to help our athletes be their best version of themselves.”

Reaction Score
Doesn't Bama already trot out a team every year that are virtually clones of the last team?

They will have a five star #1 Dual Threat QB this season...and click in another Najee Harris at RB.

And Clemson? Lose Trevor at QB...trot out the 5 star #1 Pro QB this year.

Reaction Score
10s of millions for a dining hall for people who play a game as a means to advance in whatever way. Homeless dining halls are usually old run down buildings.

Reaction Score
10s of millions for a dining hall for people who play a game as a means to advance in whatever way. Homeless dining halls are usually old run down buildings.

The homeless don't bring the benefit of some college teams....Life is like that...A rapper, Jay-Z is worth $1.3 billion and the third grade teacher can't afford a car.

Reaction Score
The homeless don't bring the benefit of some college teams....Life is like that...A rapper, Jay-Z is worth $1.3 billion and the third grade teacher can't afford a car.
So I guess homeless people should create athletics circuits of their own to get out of it what they can...

I believe utopia is possible. Won't be in our lifetimes and would require a miracle.

Reaction Score
I once put together a team of organizations in Dade County and wrote a grant application for the feds to fund homeless outreach, assessment, and reintegration with a research arm.

We found what you know intuitively...that those who are homeless because of circumstance (loss of job, running away, etc) are good candidates for reintegration...but the majority of the homeless in Dade County had underlying conditions that made it much more difficult...a blend of mental health issues, alcoholism, drug addiction...and for a few, it was a lifestyle choice. I once interviewed a homeless guy who listed his address as "treeline near the Mango tree, 16th hole"...He, I believe, felt that he was a truly "free" individual without the pressure of a job, debts to pay, family.....

There is no Shangri-La....but the US is better off than some...homeless rate of 17 per 10,000.....46 in UK, 36 in Sweden., 47 Australia, 21 France

Homelessness is rare in Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, Jordan....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So I guess homeless people should create athletics circuits of their own to get out of it what they can...

I believe utopia is possible. Won't be in our lifetimes and would require a miracle.
It’s what you make of it. There definitely are homeless who were once division one athletes.

Reaction Score
It’s what you make of it. There definitely are homeless who were once division one athletes.
But only because they once drove cabs in NYC and then were displaced by refugees from Afghanistan.

Reaction Score
But only because they once drove cabs in NYC and then were displaced by refugees from Afghanistan.
Displaced how? From the workforce? You mean refugees from Afghanistan took their jobs?

Reaction Score
Hey, my blood is around 75% Afghan. Was born here in the 70s. I've never driven a taxi in my life.

Reaction Score
The North invented the damn sport, we let our guard down and let the South take over.

Reaction Score
They got nothing better to do down there.

Oh really? There are more hot women in a Target in Aiken, SC than there are in the entire state of Connecticut.

Beaches, Golf, Lakes etc. You can’t even count the number of Yankee Bachelorette Parties that happen in Nashville.

Ever been to Dallas? Dallas is cool.

Reaction Score
I thought the state of college football was Alabama.

And if you want to see beautiful women, spend an hour at the Scottsdale Fashion Square mall in Scottsdale, AZ. It's unbelievable.

Reaction Score
Oh really? There are more hot women in a Target in Aiken, SC than there are in the entire state of Connecticut.

Beaches, Golf, Lakes etc. You can’t even count the number of Yankee Bachelorette Parties that happen in Nashville.

I’ve been to Target in Aiken. He’s right. The one in Lexington is better.

Reaction Score

How about Alabama? Mobile a world class city?

Good looking women are a pain, anyway. Been through this enough. I'll die single.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom