State College product Kyla Irwin thought she was a hard worker. Then she went to UConn. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

State College product Kyla Irwin thought she was a hard worker. Then she went to UConn.

Reaction Score
I worry about AEH. She played with Saniya Chong when Audra was in eighth grade. ( maybe even seventh grade.) She had a great high school career. Now, she appears low man on the totem pole. I don't know how much of a chance she will get.
How can she be low man when she hasn't even stepped on campus yet

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
How can she be low man when she hasn't even stepped on campus yet
Based on most other posts about next year's playing time. She doesn't even get mentioned.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I worry about AEH. She played with Saniya Chong when Audra was in eighth grade. ( maybe even seventh grade.) She had a great high school career. Now, she appears low man on the totem pole. I don't know how much of a chance she will get.
Andi can shoot. She and Geno have known each other for almost 6 years. They know what they are getting. At a minimum, Andi should be able to score in garbage time her first year. She's also a zone breaker.

Reaction Score
Kyla will likely never be more than a role player for the Huskies. but she is absolutely 100% a UConn WBB player by virtue of her attitude and work ethic.

“Every time other teams run, we sprint,” Irwin said. “It was that mentality of, ‘We practice this hard because we know other teams can’t last with us.’”

Maybe she will end up a role player, but every team needs one or two, and she's pretty much the Platonic ideal of one.

#Team Kyla

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm reminded of Brianna Banks. I'm paraphrasing, but her comments were: "I thought I played hard, but my hard is not their hard."

Reaction Score
It ain't me that has to do it. Kyla and Molly have to dig deep and get dirty to break into this lineup. I like both of them, but if they are going to emulate Jamielle Elliot and Barbara Turner they will need to work harder than their more athletic peers. Kyla will have to block out and knock some people down. Opposing forwards will need to bounce off her. And Molly needs to claw the ball from opposing guards, get up on them and stay on them. She passes the ball well and has to develop a dependable jump shot. Kyla has shown she can shoot on those few occasions she's been in the game late and open . Of course if Kyla and Molly are in the best shape of their lives, ahead of the new frosh, it could happen for them. I hope it does and they can be part of posse that can press for 40 minutes against the best out of conference teams.

Reaction Score
You never know what will happen over the course of a four year career. I'm sure there weren't many people who ever thought Meghan Gardler would play much, and yet she played the 7th most minutes on the team as a senior. I've been thinking about Meghan's senior season with respect to Kyla because that's pretty much the model for how Kyla eventually earns significant playing time. Her shooting 3s consistently toward the end of the year was big for her. If she can do that to space the floor along with playing hard and physical she at least gives herself a chance to play.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I agree. I just disagree with those who think honestly assessing her freshman year is somehow a crime.

I completely agree. I was referring to reasonable expectations, not honest assessments. I applaud those posters with the stones to give an honest assessment of a UConn player, (which may be unpopular if it's negative), and then back it up if/when they are challenged on it.

Dangerous is going to ball out next season. She's going to make a lot of folks look on in wonderment, scratching their heads (and ass) wondering "how'd she do that"? :eek:

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
C

Danger never seemed to regain her momentum once she had the stress fracture. Wonder how much this affected her at end of year. While "In Geno we trust" is my mantra, I do question based on the continual issues we have each year whether he does push the issue too far, particularly in a year with little substitutions.

It isn't just UCONN, stress fractures or stress reactions are relatively common throughout many programs and retentive impact sports like gymnastics.

Reaction Score
I remember her saying that. If a 2 year starter from a major top 10 program can come in, and be overwhelmed, why can't a freshman?
Judging from some of the posts I read, there were a lot of folks that expected her to be a starter by the first of the year. They expected her to make the leap during the first two months, then became impatient when she didn't.
I didn't read any article or comment where Azura said or hinted she was "overwhelmed". Surprised might be a word that she may have uttered. I know she's seen an appreciable difference in what's expected both physically and emotionally here but overwhelmed suggests that she wasn't up to the task, at least initially and I don't think that's the case. From what I've heard, she's looked outstanding from day one with the team.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I didn't read any article or comment where Azura said or hinted she was "overwhelmed". Surprised might be a word that she may have uttered. I know she's seen an appreciable difference in what's expected both physically and emotionally here but overwhelmed suggests that she wasn't up to the task, at least initially and I don't think that's the case. From what I've heard, she's looked outstanding from day one with the team.

What she said has been my signature line since shortly after she said it. Look below.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Her quote says it all! Love it!

She found the right place, didn't she. She made no bones about it. She wanted the program that would get her pro ready and hopefully she's happy as a clam at high tide!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I completely agree. I was referring to reasonable expectations, not honest assessments. I applaud those posters with the stones to give an honest assessment of a UConn player, (which may be unpopular if it's negative), and then back it up if/when they are challenged on it.

Dangerous is going to ball out next season. She's going to make a lot of folks look on in wonderment, scratching their heads (and ass) wondering "how'd she do that"? :eek:
Now wait a minute . . . :confused::eek::(:D

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It isn't just UConn, stress fractures or stress reactions are relatively common throughout many programs and retentive impact sports like gymnastics.

I read today one of the guys in the Jordan Brand Classic injured his foot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom