State Budget Cuts Threaten UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

State Budget Cuts Threaten UConn

Reaction Score
Can we put the 31 million in cuts in perspective? What is the state currently spending on UConn and the Health Center?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
http://www.rep-am.com/sports/uconn/939351.txt

"For years, a tactic of towns during budget season, especially by school superintendents, has been to threaten to eliminate or cut back on sports unless the budget is approved.

The idea was always to upset the townspeople (or a vocal portion of them) with something that struck an emotional chord. The tactic became so cliche through the years that its impact was significantly lessened.

With this as the back story, I found it interesting this week that in two different states top officials seemed to be using this old maneuver in an attempt to get more aid for state universities.

In Louisiana, Gov. John Bel Edwards raised the possibility that his state's current budget crisis could force the cancellation of — gasp! — the LSU football program. Suffice it to say, the good folks in that state would riot if the Tigers weren't allowed to play next fall.

Here in Connecticut, UConn president Susan Herbst also mentioned during testimony in Hartford that the school could be forced to cut some sports if the university budget was slashed.

Unless she's thinking about ether basketball team or football, the view from most folks in our state would be: Go right ahead. Track? Swimming? Tennis? I'd imagine you get my point"

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why does UConn need two mansions for the President?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69